Skype for Linux - FYI

Roger Oberholtzer-2
Microsoft have just announced:

Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
latest version of Skype for Linux.

My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
Skype for Business.

So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Mark Goldstein
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM, Roger Oberholtzer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Microsoft have just announced:
>
> Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
> will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
> latest version of Skype for Linux.
>

> My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
> skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
> be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
> Skype for Business.
>
> So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...

I've tried their new "skype for linux". It's still beta and it is
"half-baked". E.g. it's impossible to change the settings for audio
and video... So I would not hurry to switch to that version. Hope
they'll complete it before July 1st...

--
Mark Goldstein

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

C. Brouerius van Nidek
On Monday, June 12, 2017 3:05:32 PM WIB Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> Microsoft have just announced:
>
> Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
> will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
> latest version of Skype for Linux.
>

> My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
> skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
> be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
> Skype for Business.
>
> So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...

Would suggest that you first have a look at what has been offered.
The new linux variant is still in beta and just has the look from its
Windows brother. As I like the simple setup from 4,3 version I just
dumped the skypeforlinux-64 and will see what happens.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170608
Qt: 5.7.1

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Karl Sinn
> Would suggest that you first have a look at what has been offered.
> The new linux variant is still in beta and just has the look from its
> Windows brother. As I like the simple setup from 4,3 version I just
> dumped the skypeforlinux-64 and will see what happens.

Oh, right, it's already called beta, but for sure it's not beta as there
are a lot of features still missing.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would suggest that you first have a look at what has been offered.
> The new linux variant is still in beta and just has the look from its
> Windows brother. As I like the simple setup from 4,3 version I just
> dumped the skypeforlinux-64 and will see what happens.

As the current 4.3 version of Skype will no longer work (the message
seems to indicate), I guess on has little choice but to go with the
beta. If one needs Skype. Which I do...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

James Knott
On 06/12/2017 04:05 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> Microsoft have just announced:
>
> Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
> will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
> latest version of Skype for Linux.
>

> My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
> skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
> be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
> Skype for Business.
>
> So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...

You can still use Skype with a browser at web.skype.com.  You'll
probably want to use Chromium.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 12.06.2017 um 13:14 schrieb James Knott:

> On 06/12/2017 04:05 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>> Microsoft have just announced:
>>
>> Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
>> will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
>> latest version of Skype for Linux.
>>

>> My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
>> skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
>> be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
>> Skype for Business.
>>
>> So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...
>>

> You can still use Skype with a browser at web.skype.com.  You'll
> probably want to use Chromium.

which AFAIK is the very same. Isn't Chromium 64bit only already as of
today? Basically skypeforlinux is based on Electron and therefore
Chromium anyway.

Wolfgang

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Richmond-2
Mark Goldstein <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've tried their new "skype for linux". It's still beta and it is
> "half-baked". E.g. it's impossible to change the settings for audio
> and video... So I would not hurry to switch to that version. Hope
> they'll complete it before July 1st...

I have it working. They have removed sound settings it's true. But if
you install pavucontrol you can adjust the mic and speaker settings.

The old version will stop working on 1st July, they say.

I tried the web version with firefox but it didn't work on the 32 bit
platform, so I had to switch to 64 bit linux.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Mark Goldstein
On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have it working. They have removed sound settings it's true. But if
> you install pavucontrol you can adjust the mic and speaker settings.

But you can't choose proper speaker/mic, if you have more than one.
Only their default.

--
Mark Goldstein

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 12.06.2017 um 17:00 schrieb Mark Goldstein:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have it working. They have removed sound settings it's true. But if
>> you install pavucontrol you can adjust the mic and speaker settings.
>
> But you can't choose proper speaker/mic, if you have more than one.
> Only their default.

No, using Pulseaudio and pavucontrol you can configure everything.
Same as with Skype 4.3 in pulseaudio mode.

Wolfgang

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

gumb
On 12/06/17 17:14, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> Am 12.06.2017 um 17:00 schrieb Mark Goldstein:
>> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have it working. They have removed sound settings it's true. But if
>>> you install pavucontrol you can adjust the mic and speaker settings.
>>
>> But you can't choose proper speaker/mic, if you have more than one.
>> Only their default.
>
> No, using Pulseaudio and pavucontrol you can configure everything.
> Same as with Skype 4.3 in pulseaudio mode.
>

> Wolfgang

Indeed, it can be done in pavucontrol but you'll have to configure it at
the point of making/receiving a call. You'll then see, under the
Recording tab, a box showing your current mic associated to Skype. Click
that and you'll be presented with a pop-up list of others you can
select. The setting should then be retained for following occasions with
that application.

However, the UI could be better. There's nothing to clearly indicate
that that box has a selector behind it. I've had to guide people before
on a one-way call via Skype, and it takes a while for them to realize
it's there.

gumb

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Carl Hartung-2
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:05:32 +0200
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> Microsoft have just announced:
>
> Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
> will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
> latest version of Skype for Linux.
>

> My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
> skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
> be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
> Skype for Business.
>
> So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...

fyi, my 64-bit Leap 42.2 system has skypeforlinux-5.3.0.1-1.x86_64
installed from this repository:

https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/

It's been updated at least a couple of times since I originally
installed it this way.

regards,

Carl

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

nicholas cunliffe
On Monday, 12 June 2017 18:21:08 CEST Carl Hartung wrote:

> fyi, my 64-bit Leap 42.2 system has skypeforlinux-5.3.0.1-1.x86_64
> installed from this repository:
>
> https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/
>
> It's been updated at least a couple of times since I originally
> installed it this way.
>
> regards,
>
> Carl
im curious:
- how do i know the repo is genuine (i see no way to verify from googling)
- is this essentially electron - if so what are the benefits of installing this
vs using the web version?

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Carl Hartung-2
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 18:51:16 +0200
nicholas nicholas wrote:

> im curious:
> - how do i know the repo is genuine (i see no way to verify from
> googling)
> - is this essentially electron - if so what are the benefits of
> installing this vs using the web version?

If you visit the Skype.com website from a Linux system and click the
'Download' button, it should detect that you need Skype for Linux and
take you to this page:

https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

which presents options for several platforms & operating systems. I
believe I drilled down into the 'Download Skype for Linux RPM' path to
locate the repo info.

I wouldn't use it if my work didn't require it.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

John Andersen-2
On 06/12/2017 10:10 AM, Carl Hartung wrote:
> I wouldn't use it if my work didn't require it.

My work USE TO require it.  Then we found out that there are about 10 different
android and/or iOS apps that can carry on a video chat far easier than routing all your calls
directly to the NSA.

Most of those are free, and most user already have them installed on their phones.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

James Knott
On 06/12/2017 12:21 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:05:32 +0200
> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
>
>> Microsoft have just announced:
>>
>> Important notice: All Skype for Linux clients version 4.3 and older
>> will be retired on July 1, 2017. To keep chatting, please install the
>> latest version of Skype for Linux.
>>

>> My desktop seems stuck at a 32-bit openSUSE. I have
>> skype-4.3.0.37-6.1.i586. I see that the Skype for Linux that will now
>> be available is only available as a 64-bit version. Our company uses
>> Skype for Business.
>>
>> So, here is another reason to upgrade to a 64-bit openSUSE...
> fyi, my 64-bit Leap 42.2 system has skypeforlinux-5.3.0.1-1.x86_64
> installed from this repository:
>
> https://repo.skype.com/rpm/stable/
>
> It's been updated at least a couple of times since I originally
> installed it this way.

Is there anyway to get it to remember the password?  I had to save it to
the wallet, but that now asks for the password.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Carl Hartung-2
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 21:39:42 -0400
James Knott wrote:

> Is there anyway to get it to remember the password?  I had to save it
> to the wallet, but that now asks for the password.

Confirmed:

Skype for Linux no longer seems to have the 'Sign me in when Skype
starts' option.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Carl Hartung-2
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 12:51:44 -0700
John Andersen wrote:

> My work USE TO require it.  Then we found out that there are about 10
> different android and/or iOS apps that can carry on a video chat far
> easier than routing all your calls directly to the NSA.
>
> Most of those are free, and most user already have them installed on
> their phones.

Thanks for the perspective, John! :)

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Karl Sinn

Am 12.06.2017 um 12:13 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Constant Brouerius van Nidek
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Would suggest that you first have a look at what has been offered.
>> The new linux variant is still in beta and just has the look from its
>> Windows brother. As I like the simple setup from 4,3 version I just
>> dumped the skypeforlinux-64 and will see what happens.
>
> As the current 4.3 version of Skype will no longer work (the message
> seems to indicate), I guess on has little choice but to go with the
> beta. If one needs Skype. Which I do...

yes, the same here, only that I had to switch to the then called alpha
version because all group chats completely started to fail in the other
version.

Re: Skype for Linux - FYI

Richmond-2
It is remembering the password in the gnome-keyring.

If you don't want gnome-keyring to prompt you for a password you need to
set it to blank. But this will mean passwords are stored on your system
unencrypted. (Which might be what skype 4.3 did anyway, I haven't
checked that).

To blank the password for gnome-keyring, install the package seahorse,
then run the command seahorse, right click on "login" password, and
select changed password. Set leave the new password blank.