Size of /var for 10.0

Claes H
Hi,

can somebody post the result of
du -h /var
from a pretty vanilla 10.0 installation? The reason I am asking is I
want to determine if it would be feasible to mount /var on a usb flash
(512MB) for a silent server where I would like to suspend the hd. On
10.1, /var is more than 512MB, and quite a lot of the space is used by
zmd .

Thanks,
Claes

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Size of /var for 10.0

Jerry Feldman-2
On Friday 11 August 2006 10:05 am, Claes at work wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can somebody post the result of
> du -h /var
> from a pretty vanilla 10.0 installation? The reason I am asking is I
> want to determine if it would be feasible to mount /var on a usb flash
> (512MB) for a silent server where I would like to suspend the hd. On
> 10.1, /var is more than 512MB, and quite a lot of the space is used by
> zmd .
That's a bad idea.
/var contains log files, spool files as well as both the utmp and wtmp
files.  You can certainly contain the size of the log files by removing the
old logs, wtmp and some other garbage.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Size of /var for 10.0

Wade Jones
On Friday 11 August 2006 09:05, Claes at work wrote:
 Hi,

 can somebody post the result of
 du -h /var
 from a pretty vanilla 10.0 installation? The reason I am asking is I
 want to determine if it would be feasible to mount /var on a usb flash
 (512MB) for a silent server where I would like to suspend the hd. On
 10.1, /var is more than 512MB, and quite a lot of the space is used by
 zmd .

 Thanks,
 Claes

SuSE Linux 9.3 (i586)
superking:~ # du -sh /var
234M    /var

SUSE LINUX 10.1 (i586)
bender:~ # du -sh /var
253M    /var

bender:~ # du -sh /var/run/zmd;du -sh /var/lib/zmd;du -sh /var/cache/zmd
0       /var/run/zmd
12M     /var/lib/zmd
0       /var/cache/zmd

What is expected to be the advantage of using a removeable flash drive for
mounting /var?

On 8/11/06, Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a bad idea.
> /var contains log files, spool files as well as both the utmp and wtmp
> files.  You can certainly contain the size of the log files by removing the
> old logs, wtmp and some other garbage.

Perhaps I did not explain my intent well enough. Since /var contains
files that will be written constantly more or less by having a system
up and running (such as log files, pid files etc) I want it to reside
on storage that is not rotating :-) In other words, I want it
persistently stored and at the same time be able to spin down my hard
drive. At least when the system is idling I know it should be
possible.

I already have a home server (that acts as firewall, file server,
print server, dhcp server and a few other things) configured
similiarily. However, instead of using flash for /var, I have mounted
a few of the directories in /var (such as /var/tmp, /var/log and
/var/run) on a ram disk, which I remount there short after boot. It
works well for an idling server, the hard drive is suspended most of
the time. However, sometimes, such as when I turn on other hosts on
the same network it spins up since dhcpd writes a short file somewhere
outside of my ram mounts. Another program that I could not fit into my
current setup are cron, and I guess there are a few more. However,
most of them write to either /var or /tmp.

My new idea is to mount the entire /var on a flash disk. However, size
of /var has grown recently on SUSE, and I want to determine if 10.0 is
feasible for this purpose since it does not include zmd example.

On Friday 11 August 2006 10:44 am, Claes at work wrote:

> Perhaps I did not explain my intent well enough. Since /var contains
> files that will be written constantly more or less by having a system
> up and running (such as log files, pid files etc) I want it to reside
> on storage that is not rotating :-) In other words, I want it
> persistently stored and at the same time be able to spin down my hard
> drive. At least when the system is idling I know it should be
> possible.
>
> I already have a home server (that acts as firewall, file server,
> print server, dhcp server and a few other things) configured
> similiarily. However, instead of using flash for /var, I have mounted
> a few of the directories in /var (such as /var/tmp, /var/log and
> /var/run) on a ram disk, which I remount there short after boot. It
> works well for an idling server, the hard drive is suspended most of
> the time. However, sometimes, such as when I turn on other hosts on
> the same network it spins up since dhcpd writes a short file somewhere
> outside of my ram mounts. Another program that I could not fit into my
> current setup are cron, and I guess there are a few more. However,
> most of them write to either /var or /tmp.
>
> My new idea is to mount the entire /var on a flash disk. However, size
> of /var has grown recently on SUSE, and I want to determine if 10.0 is
> feasible for this purpose since it does not include zmd example.
My /var is:
669M    /var
But, there are archived log files going back over a year, so you should be
able to do it with a 512M removable, and with a bit of management, you
should be able to keep it well within the allowable size.

You could also put the spool directory on the HD.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Size of /var for 10.0

stephan beal
On Friday 11 August 2006 16:05, Claes at work wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can somebody post the result of
> du -h /var

owl:/var # nice -+19 du -sh
352M    .

Suse 10.1

Biggest dirs are:

owl:/var # du . | sort  -rn | head -20
359492  .
127424  ./log
116632  ./lib
103780  ./log/YaST2
58004   ./lib/rpm
57152   ./adm
56172   ./adm/backup
56132   ./adm/backup/rpmdb
28072   ./cache
25208   ./tmp
21888   ./lib/zmd
20668   ./lib/zypp
20476   ./lib/zypp/cache
15052   ./cache/beagle
14072   ./lib/zypp/cache/Source.nzrVQa
14008   ./cache/beagle/indexes
13952   ./lib/zypp/cache/Source.nzrVQa/DATA
13932   ./lib/zypp/cache/Source.nzrVQa/DATA/descr
12632   ./tmp/kdecache-simone
9792    ./cache/beagle/indexes/documentation

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: Size of /var for 10.0

Darryl Gregorash
On 11/08/06 08:44, Claes at work wrote:

> On 8/11/06, Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's a bad idea.
>> /var contains log files, spool files as well as both the utmp and wtmp
>> files.  You can certainly contain the size of the log files by
>> removing the
>> old logs, wtmp and some other garbage.
>
> Perhaps I did not explain my intent well enough. Since /var contains
> files that will be written constantly more or less by having a system
> up and running (such as log files, pid files etc) I want it to reside
> on storage that is not rotating :-) In other words, I want it
> persistently stored and at the same time be able to spin down my hard
> drive. At least when the system is idling I know it should be
> possible.
All the downloads are also stored on /var, when you do an update. Even
if you do not keep the update rpms, you need sufficient space to
download them before they're installed.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Size of /var for 10.0

Theo v. Werkhoven
Fri, 11 Aug 2006, by [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> can somebody post the result of
> du -h /var
> from a pretty vanilla 10.0 installation? The reason I am asking is I
> want to determine if it would be feasible to mount /var on a usb flash
> (512MB) for a silent server where I would like to suspend the hd. On
> 10.1, /var is more than 512MB, and quite a lot of the space is used by
> zmd .

For a workstation system:
$ df -h /var
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/system-lv2
                      5.0G  1.1G  4.0G  22% /var

But there's no such thing as a "vanilla" SUSE install I think, this
figure here isn't even remotely comperable to the server I admin at
$DAYJOB, which is also "vanilla" 10.0.

Be adviced though, that flashdisks are not suiteable to be written
many times. They typically can be used for 10s of thousands of
writes cycles, not many millions like normal drives.

I would suggest that you at least write logs to a remote syslog daemon.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven    Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E.     +      ICQ: 277217131

On 8/11/06, Darryl Gregorash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Perhaps I did not explain my intent well enough. Since /var contains
> > files that will be written constantly more or less by having a system
> > up and running (such as log files, pid files etc) I want it to reside
> > on storage that is not rotating :-) In other words, I want it
> > persistently stored and at the same time be able to spin down my hard
> > drive. At least when the system is idling I know it should be
> > possible.
> All the downloads are also stored on /var, when you do an update. Even
> if you do not keep the update rpms, you need sufficient space to
> download them before they're installed.

Good point.

Thanks for  all replies - I though 512 MB was a little too small so
today I bought a cheap 1 GB flash stick and will install 10.1 with it
for /var this weekend. It will be kind of an experiment.  I will have
to configure so that downloaded packages are stored / moved to hard
drive storage. Regarding syslog, I think I can extend the life of the
flash by configuring file sync parameters.

Claes

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Size of /var for 10.0

Jan Engelhardt