Simple RPM question

Jorge Fábregas-2
Hello guys,

Is there a way to remove a package and ALL its dependencies? For example, I
installed mplayer and I had to install 9 other packages to satisfy
dependencies.  If I no longer want mplayer I'll do this:

rpm -q --last

to see the last packages I installed. I"ll then do "rpm -e" with EACH one of
them.  I noticed that you can only specify one package with the remove
switch...It will be great If I could "rpm -e this,that,the-other-one, blabla"
or something like "rpm -e MPlayer --along-dependencies" :)  (if and only
those packages are needed only by MPlayer of course...).

I'm not interested in a shell script. I just would like to know if there's a
switch I'm missing (I read the man page but found nothing).

Thanks!
Jorge

Re: Simple RPM question

John Meyer-8
Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Is there a way to remove a package and ALL its dependencies? For example, I
> installed mplayer and I had to install 9 other packages to satisfy
> dependencies.  If I no longer want mplayer I'll do this:
>
> rpm -q --last
>
> to see the last packages I installed. I"ll then do "rpm -e" with EACH one of
> them.  I noticed that you can only specify one package with the remove
> switch...It will be great If I could "rpm -e this,that,the-other-one, blabla"
> or something like "rpm -e MPlayer --along-dependencies" :)  (if and only
> those packages are needed only by MPlayer of course...).

And therein lies the catch.  To do what you would suggest you would have
to have to recode rpm to do what you are talking about.  And what's so
bad about a shell script?  I'll grant you, it's not easy, but if I
wanted easy I would have stayed with Microsoft.  On the plus side, you
don't have to wait around for somebody to recode rpm (of course, you
could also attempt that).

Re: Simple RPM question

Alexey Eromenko
Let's make it clear: RPM does not resolve dependencies. Not for
install and not for uninstall.

Basically this means, that you should use Yast: it can remove unneeded
dependencies, yes.

RPM is low-level package manager.
Yast is hi-level package manager.

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"

Re: Simple RPM question

Richard Bos-5
Op Monday 21 May 2007 17:13:57 schreef Jorge Fábregas:

> Is there a way to remove a package and ALL its dependencies? For example, I
> installed mplayer and I had to install 9 other packages to satisfy
> dependencies.  If I no longer want mplayer I'll do this:
>
> rpm -q --last
>
> to see the last packages I installed. I"ll then do "rpm -e" with EACH one
> of them.  I noticed that you can only specify one package with the remove
> switch...It will be great If I could "rpm -e this,that,the-other-one,
> blabla" or something like "rpm -e MPlayer --along-dependencies" :)  (if and
> only those packages are needed only by MPlayer of course...).
>
> I'm not interested in a shell script. I just would like to know if there's
> a switch I'm missing (I read the man page but found nothing).

rpmorphan?
Alright here is a webpage ;)
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories/home:/rbos/openSUSE_10.2/repodata/repoview/rpmorphan-0-0.8-2.1.html

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,

Re: Simple RPM question

S Glasoe
On Monday May 21 2007 11:12:16 am Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Let's make it clear: RPM does not resolve dependencies. Not for
> install and not for uninstall.

Correct.

YaST/Smart/Apt/whatever-your-choice-of-package-manager-is all use RPM to check
and report dependencies that an RPM package requires against the RPM database
of packages. It is still left up to us humans to resolve any reported
conflicting or missing dependencies. That's why we get paid the big bucks and
not RPM.

> Basically this means, that you should use Yast: it can remove unneeded
> dependencies, yes.

YaST/Smart/Apt/whatever-your-choice-of-package-manager-is; Yes, use a
package manager to inform you of conflicts and allow you to deal with them.
You can do this maunally on the command line via rpm if GUI is too much
trouble.

> RPM is low-level package manager.
As low a level as you can go using RPM...

> Yast is hi-level package manager.
A nice GUII wrapper may be more to the point.

> --
> -Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"

What was the question? Seems like you know the answers already.?.?

--
Stan

Re: Simple RPM question

Jorge Fábregas-2
On Monday 21 May 2007 2:48 pm, S Glasoe wrote:
> What was the question? Seems like you know the answers already.?.?

Thanks guys for the comments. I'm 95% sure that I can't do what I want to do
with rpm. I just wanted to make sure that there in fact ISN'T an option to
accomplish what I want.

Jorge

Re: Simple RPM question

Jorge Fábregas-2
On Monday 21 May 2007 2:44 pm, Richard Bos wrote:
> rpmorphan?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh Richard this is great !!!!!!! I had NO IDEA this existed.
THANKS!  That would help in cleaning da'house a little bit !!

All the best,
Jorge