Sieve Editor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sieve Editor

Koenraad Lelong
Hi,
Does anyone use a sieve editor ? That's an editor to make and modify
rules for an imap-server, to sort and manipulate mails.
KDE has one, but I seem unable to connect to my own dovecot-server. As
far as I can see that editor is 'old' (copyricht 2013-2014), so maybe
the security-provisions are too old for my server.
At home there is no problem making/editing rules, I have roundcube which
has a plug-in for the sieve-rules.
I'm actually looking to edit rules on another, remote dovecot-server,
but there I don't have access to a web-based email-client with a
rule-editor. I'm just experimenting with my own server before asking the
manager of the remote server to modify things.
Thunderbird has (had ?) a sieve-editor, but that's also old (2012). I
read somewhere it's not supported on recent TBirds.

So any suggestions ?

TIA,

Koenraad.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sieve Editor

Darin Perusich-3
I use to use the sieve editor in SquirrelMail back in the day against
a cyrus-imapd installation, but that was quite a few years ago.
--
Later,
Darin


On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Koenraad Lelong
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anyone use a sieve editor ? That's an editor to make and modify rules
> for an imap-server, to sort and manipulate mails.
> KDE has one, but I seem unable to connect to my own dovecot-server. As far
> as I can see that editor is 'old' (copyricht 2013-2014), so maybe the
> security-provisions are too old for my server.
> At home there is no problem making/editing rules, I have roundcube which has
> a plug-in for the sieve-rules.
> I'm actually looking to edit rules on another, remote dovecot-server, but
> there I don't have access to a web-based email-client with a rule-editor.
> I'm just experimenting with my own server before asking the manager of the
> remote server to modify things.
> Thunderbird has (had ?) a sieve-editor, but that's also old (2012). I read
> somewhere it's not supported on recent TBirds.
>
> So any suggestions ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Koenraad.
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sieve Editor

John Andersen-2
In reply to this post by Koenraad Lelong
On 05/26/2017 04:11 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
> but I seem unable to connect to my own dovecot-server. As far as I can see that editor is 'old'
> (copyricht 2013-2014), so maybe the security-provisions are too old for my server.

So its not that it doesn't work, but that it can't connect?
What port do you have open for sieve?  Historically i seem to remember it was
port 2000, and you need to open that on the server's firewall, as well as telling
dovecot what port / interfaces you expect it to listen on.

I too used the kde one, (built into kmail iirc).
But the syntax isn't hard and you can launch sieveshell to install a script.
or use installsieve if you already have a stand alone script.

I use it so rarely these days I have to look it up each time.
MUAs have better filtering rule handlers than what was available
in those days.  All it use it for was making sure spamassassin
tagging was managed globally so each user didn't have to do it manually.


--
After all is said and done, more is said than done.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sieve Editor

Per Jessen
John Andersen wrote:

> On 05/26/2017 04:11 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>> but I seem unable to connect to my own dovecot-server. As far as I
>> can see that editor is 'old' (copyricht 2013-2014), so maybe the
>> security-provisions are too old for my server.
>
> So its not that it doesn't work, but that it can't connect?
> What port do you have open for sieve?  Historically i seem to remember
> it was port 2000, and you need to open that on the server's firewall,
> as well as telling dovecot what port / interfaces you expect it to
> listen on.

It's Konrad's own dovecot, he's probably behind the firewall :-)
Besides, TMK managesieve is used over the imap port.

> I use it so rarely these days I have to look it up each time.
> MUAs have better filtering rule handlers than what was available
> in those days.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find one than can compete with sieve.  
I mean, sieve isn't just rules for directing mail into folders -
auto-replies, vacation, regexes etc.



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.0°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sieve Editor

Koenraad Lelong
In reply to this post by John Andersen-2
Op 27-05-17 om 05:25 schreef John Andersen:

> On 05/26/2017 04:11 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>> but I seem unable to connect to my own dovecot-server. As far as I can see that editor is 'old'
>> (copyricht 2013-2014), so maybe the security-provisions are too old for my server.
>
> So its not that it doesn't work, but that it can't connect?
> What port do you have open for sieve?  Historically i seem to remember it was
> port 2000, and you need to open that on the server's firewall, as well as telling
> dovecot what port / interfaces you expect it to listen on.
>
> I too used the kde one, (built into kmail iirc).
> But the syntax isn't hard and you can launch sieveshell to install a script.
> or use installsieve if you already have a stand alone script.
>
> I use it so rarely these days I have to look it up each time.
> MUAs have better filtering rule handlers than what was available
> in those days.  All it use it for was making sure spamassassin
> tagging was managed globally so each user didn't have to do it manually.
>
>

Hi,
This is what I get in the log :
May 28 17:58:24 uranus1 dovecot: managesieve-login: Disconnected (no
auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=2001:xxx:3171, lip=2001:xxx:2,
TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:1408A0C1:SSL
routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher,
session=<qQz7o5dQ3AAgAQRwHxULjW0//3ouKjFx>
I see something about SSL3, which I disabled on my server. I temporarily
enabled it and then I can access the sieve-scripts.
I can hardly ask the sysadmin of the remote server to enable SSL3, can I ?

The reason why I want a server-side filter : I have a laptop, a desktop
and a smart-phone, each accessing the same account on the IMAP-server. I
would have to make the same filters on each device. This is do-able, but
when I can do it on the server, I prefer that.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Koenraad.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sieve Editor

Per Jessen
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> Hi,
> This is what I get in the log :
> May 28 17:58:24 uranus1 dovecot: managesieve-login: Disconnected (no
> auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=2001:xxx:3171, lip=2001:xxx:2,
> TLS handshaking: SSL_accept() failed: error:1408A0C1:SSL
> routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher,
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Encryption problem. one side is too old.



--
Per Jessen, Zürich (30.1°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]