Should touchpad padding be disabled by default?

Should touchpad padding be disabled by default?

Fred A. Miller
On 12/06/2009 04:37 PM, Clayton wrote:
 >> You can use Synaptiks or kcm_touchpad (I had the best luck with the former)
 >> from kde4:community repository - or Touchfreeze from Packman repository.
 >>
 > So.... to accommodate the Gnome standard the KDE users have to install
 > a community package from a community repo?  That seems like a poor
 > decision.

 I HATE touchpads, and unfortunately, there's not a hardware switch to
 turn off most of them. The KDE setup, which allows you to turn off a
 touchpad or mouse, DOESN'T work. Synaptiks does.....thankfully!

 Fred

--
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to

Re: Should touchpad padding be disabled by default?

C-29
>  I HATE touchpads, and unfortunately, there's not a hardware switch to
>  turn off most of them. The KDE setup, which allows you to turn off a
>  touchpad or mouse, DOESN'T work. Synaptiks does.....thankfully!

On my Netbook there is a Function+F key combination that can be used
to turn the touchpad on/off, and it works well with openSUSE 11.2.  It
didn't work on previous versions/distros.

I can understand why some might hate touchpads.. it's pretty darn easy
to accidentally brush them while typing and your cursor ends up
elsewhere in your document :-P

C.

Re: Should touchpad padding be disabled by default?

Ludwig Nussel
Clayton wrote:

> >  I HATE touchpads, and unfortunately, there's not a hardware switch to
> >  turn off most of them. The KDE setup, which allows you to turn off a
> >  touchpad or mouse, DOESN'T work. Synaptiks does.....thankfully!
>
> On my Netbook there is a Function+F key combination that can be used
> to turn the touchpad on/off, and it works well with openSUSE 11.2.  It
> didn't work on previous versions/distros.
>
> I can understand why some might hate touchpads.. it's pretty darn easy
> to accidentally brush them while typing and your cursor ends up
> elsewhere in your document :-P

Whether or not the touchpad is annoying probably depends on the
hardware. I can't remember accidently hitting the touchpad on my
laptop. On a different laptop I hit it all the time. That model has
a hardware switch to turn the touchpad off though. So I guess the
engineers actually tried to use their own hardware ;-)

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel