Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Boyd Lynn Gerber
Hello,

I have been trying to figure out why on a lot of sites, I have problems.
Many sites not problems at all.  I suspect some muplimedia or something
causing it.  I do not have any problems with 10.2 only with 10.3.  For
example this site closes seamonkey every time.

http://www.pcworld.com/go/dell1236854_0807.htm

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  BTW not logs are being generated.

Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to figure out why on a lot of sites, I have problems.
> Many sites not problems at all.  I suspect some muplimedia or something
> causing it.  I do not have any problems with 10.2 only with 10.3.  For
> example this site closes seamonkey every time.
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/go/dell1236854_0807.htm
>

> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  BTW no logs are being generated.

I used both seamonkey and mozilla on 10.3 and had _no_ problem opening
the site. The link actually gets redirected to
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/odg_special50?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Ken

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Ken Schneider wrote:

> Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > I have been trying to figure out why on a lot of sites, I have problems.
> > Many sites not problems at all.  I suspect some muplimedia or something
> > causing it.  I do not have any problems with 10.2 only with 10.3.  For
> > example this site closes seamonkey every time.
> >
> > http://www.pcworld.com/go/dell1236854_0807.htm
> >
> > Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  BTW no logs are being generated.
>
> I used both seamonkey and mozilla on 10.3 and had _no_ problem opening
> the site. The link actually gets redirected to
> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/odg_special50?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

This is really strange.  I have removed and re-installed them, but still
no success with some sites.  Probably some thing I installed is causing
it.  I tried to do an install of everything on OpenSUSE and Packman.  Once
all the conflicts are removed is the state my system is in.  I have
removed and reinstall Seamonkey and Firefox with no luck the site I gave
and the on you listed cause Seamonky to close, with no messages.  I really
need to find a way to fix this.

Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

nordi
Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> This is really strange.  I have removed and re-installed them, but still
> no success with some sites.  Probably some thing I installed is causing
> it.

To figure out if this is a problem with your installation, try running
Seamonkey as a different user. If it works as a different user, your
(user specific) config files are messed up. If it still does not work,
the problem is with the installed software.

Have you tried to launch Seamonkey/Firefox from a terminal? Do they
create any output on the terminal when they disappear? Does the page
work in other browsers, such as konqueror?

Regards
nordi

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Patrick Shanahan

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Boyd Lynn Gerber <[hidden email]> [11-05-07 16:41]:
> > This is really strange.  I have removed and re-installed them, but still
> > no success with some sites.  Probably some thing I installed is causing
> > it.
>
> from the cl, do:    mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozillaXX
>
> and try.  If you are successful, you had something in your personal
> configuration files causing a problem, perhaps a plugin or some
> parameter that  you changed.
>
> If you have settings in ~/.mozilla that are important to reproduce,
> you can try copying them back one at a time until you have problems
> again.... and you will have found the culprit.

I had already done that, still has the same problem.  I even created a new
user and tried.  Same problem with all user's new and old.  On the
installation, I only copied over bookmarks.  But for testing purposes I
move ~/.mozilla to ~/.mozilla.hold and Seamonkey created a new ~/.mozilla,
but it still has problems.  I just wish it would give me some output to
use.  I even started seamonkey from the command line and still no errors
or messages.  Just dies.

--
Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Boyd Lynn Gerber

I finally got an error message.

Here is the message.

/usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so: undefined symbol:
swfdec_gtk_player_new

I have no idea what this is.  I do not use GNOME.  I am a KDE user.  I
have been trying to grep for it.

Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Scott Jones-6
On Monday 05 November 2007, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I finally got an error message.
>
> Here is the message.
>
> /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so: undefined symbol:
> swfdec_gtk_player_new
>
> I have no idea what this is.  I do not use GNOME.  I am a KDE user.  I
> have been trying to grep for it.

That's the swfdec plugin from packman hosing you up.  It doesn't work all that
well, and really is only good for causing these kinds of problems from what
I've seen on IRC.  At the very least, uninstall swfdec-browser-plugin.

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Patrick Shanahan

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Carl Hartung
On Mon November 5 2007 06:21:43 pm Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> try removing swfdec-browser-plugin, and running seamonkey.

If seamonkey uses the same plug-ins registration scheme as Firefox, after
uninstalling the plug-in, you might need to delete the user space
file "pluginreg.dat" to force it to re-register the installed plug-ins and
recognize the change. On my system running Firefox, that file lives under
~/.mozilla/

regards,

Carl

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites.

Joe-274
Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Boyd Lynn Gerber <[hidden email]> [11-05-07 17:57]:
> > I finally got an error message.
>
> > Here is the message.
>
> > /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin: symbol lookup error:
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libswfdecmozilla.so: undefined symbol:
> > swfdec_gtk_player_new
>
> flash player
>
> > I have no idea what this is.  I do not use GNOME.  I am a KDE user.  I
> > have been trying to grep for it.
>
> seamonkey/firefix are gnome programs.  kde and gnome are generally
> able to execute each other's programs.
>
> try removing swfdec-browser-plugin, and running seamonkey.  If
> successful, then reinstall swfdec-browser-plugin and try again.  If
> not, I don't know  :^(

Pat should have stopped while he was ahead - if it works without
swfdec-browser-plugin, *don't* reinstall it. If you want flash, my
advice is to use the standard flash plugin. This "not quite ready for
prime time" stuff that gets installed by default is not such a great
idea IMHO.

Joe

Re: Seamonkey and fire fox suddenly disapear/end connecting to web sites. (Solved somewhat)

Boyd Lynn Gerber
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Mon November 5 2007 06:21:43 pm Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > try removing swfdec-browser-plugin, and running seamonkey.
> If seamonkey uses the same plug-ins registration scheme as Firefox, after
> uninstalling the plug-in, you might need to delete the user space
> file "pluginreg.dat" to force it to re-register the installed plug-ins and
> recognize the change. On my system running Firefox, that file lives under
> ~/.mozilla/

I did remove swfdev-mozilla-plugin and swfdec-browser-plugin and that
fixed the sudden error.  I can not seem to get any flash to work.  I have
installed the adobe flash and mplayer-mozilla plugin but I have not been
able to get mplayer plugin to work.  It works on 10.2.  I will do some
more research.