[STYLE] Installation Source vs. Repository

[STYLE] Installation Source vs. Repository

Rebecca Walter
Here is a reminder of the pros and cons of the two primary options.  Although
we had some other suggestions, none seemed to offer any improvement over these
two choices:

Installation Source
-------------------

Advantages
----------

Likely to be understandable to new users (installation source=source of
installation=what you install from)
Applicable to any acceptable installation media or other format, including
future development
Familiar to long-time SUSE users
Less work to implement (already used in documentation and in large parts of
YaST)

Disadvantages
-------------

Possible confusion with program sources

Repository or Software Repository
---------------------------------

Advantages
----------

Used in some non-SUSE tools
Familiar to users from other distros

Disadvantages
-------------

Possible confusion with SVN or CVS repository
Meaning not clear to users coming from Windows or MacOS or that are new to
computers
Connection to one specific type (there are valid options that don't have repo
directories)
Requires extensive changes in documentation and software
Would conflict with YaST source code (this _is_ a real disadvantage because it
makes the code more confusing and it is a goal to have readable YaST code)
Definitions don't seem very applicable to CD and DVD media

*****

It is pretty clear from this list that "installation source" is the best
option we have at this time. Of the many repositories available online,
some are valid installation sources for SUSE but some are not.  To help users
familiar with the repository terminology or looking for installation sources,
I recommend that we mention repositories as one of possible types of
installation sources in help texts of the relevant applications and in the
manuals.  "Installation source" should be used to refer to all resources that
serve as valid sources for installation of the entire system or packages using
the standard package management systems of SUSE Linux and openSUSE. It is the
only term for these resources that should be used in the UI of applications.

I will make the appropriate changes to the style guides. Unfortunately, 10.3
is likely to be a transitional release, so we may have inconsistencies in this
version. If other terms appear in our applications or documentation for 10.3
betas and later, please file enhancement or minor bug reports to remind the
developers to fix these issues.  Alpha versions are very unlikely to have the
changes.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Walter
Style Guide Maintainer