SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Basil Chupin
Several days ago smart was upgraded to .42-14 and I noticed that the
ksmarttray now does not update the channels on bootup nor at the regular
intervals while the system was running as in the past. I have to
manually use the package manager to update the channels (and in most
cases I find that there are upgrades waiting to be performed).

Anyone else having the same experience?

I asked in the smart mail list if something had changed in smart but was
told (by Pascal Bleser) that nothing had changed. Nevertheless smart
(ksmarttray that is) is not behaving as it did in the past so something
has changed somewhere.

Cheers.

--
"Every burned book enlightens the world."

                     Ralph Waldo Emerson


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SPAM: Re: SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Marius Roets
On 10/11/06, Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Several days ago smart was upgraded to .42-14 and I noticed that the
> ksmarttray now does not update the channels on bootup nor at the regular
> intervals while the system was running as in the past. I have to
> manually use the package manager to update the channels (and in most
> cases I find that there are upgrades waiting to be performed).
>
> Anyone else having the same experience?

I have had this problem for quite some time. It also started after an
upgrade, but I'm not sure which one ( I didn't notice it immediately).
I'm still on 0.42-13 though, for exactly this reason I would guess.
Should I check for updates through the Smart GUI, there would probably
be many, but the ksmarttray shows nothing. No solution though, I was
just hoping a new version will solve it (obviously 0.42-14 is not it
:)

Marius

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Stephen Boddy
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 05:11, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Several days ago smart was upgraded to .42-14 and I noticed that the
> ksmarttray now does not update the channels on bootup nor at the regular
> intervals while the system was running as in the past. I have to
> manually use the package manager to update the channels (and in most
> cases I find that there are upgrades waiting to be performed).
>
> Anyone else having the same experience?
>
> I asked in the smart mail list if something had changed in smart but was
> told (by Pascal Bleser) that nothing had changed. Nevertheless smart
> (ksmarttray that is) is not behaving as it did in the past so something
> has changed somewhere.

Hi Basil,

Hate to ask the obvious, but I believe you ended up configuring things as I
do, so did you ensure smart-update is setuid after the upgrade? If the smart
package is updated a fresh version of this binary is installed without
setuid, which causes those symptoms. You need the line:
/usr/bin/smart-update   root.root       4755
in /etc/permissions.local, but whenever you see smart updated (should be done
everytime you do an update of anything really) you need to run SuSEconfig as
root. This will set the setuid flag on the file, and ksmarttray will do the
right thing again.

Regards
--
Steve Boddy

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Basil Chupin
Stephen Boddy wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 05:11, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> Several days ago smart was upgraded to .42-14 and I noticed that the
>> ksmarttray now does not update the channels on bootup nor at the regular
>> intervals while the system was running as in the past. I have to
>> manually use the package manager to update the channels (and in most
>> cases I find that there are upgrades waiting to be performed).
>>
>> Anyone else having the same experience?
>>
>> I asked in the smart mail list if something had changed in smart but was
>> told (by Pascal Bleser) that nothing had changed. Nevertheless smart
>> (ksmarttray that is) is not behaving as it did in the past so something
>> has changed somewhere.
>
> Hi Basil,
>
> Hate to ask the obvious, but I believe you ended up configuring things as I
> do, so did you ensure smart-update is setuid after the upgrade? If the smart
> package is updated a fresh version of this binary is installed without
> setuid, which causes those symptoms. You need the line:
> /usr/bin/smart-update   root.root       4755
> in /etc/permissions.local, but whenever you see smart updated (should be done
> everytime you do an update of anything really) you need to run SuSEconfig as
> root. This will set the setuid flag on the file, and ksmarttray will do the
> right thing again.
>
> Regards


BINGO!

All in place as set up some time ago - but forgot to run SuSEconfig!

Thanks, Stephen, ksmarttray now working correctly again :-) .

Cheers.


--
"Every burned book enlightens the world."

                     Ralph Waldo Emerson


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Marius Roets
In reply to this post by Stephen Boddy
On 10/11/06, Stephen Boddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 October 2006 05:11, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> Hi Basil,
>
> Hate to ask the obvious, but I believe you ended up configuring things as I
> do, so did you ensure smart-update is setuid after the upgrade? If the smart
> package is updated a fresh version of this binary is installed without
> setuid, which causes those symptoms. You need the line:
> /usr/bin/smart-update   root.root       4755
> in /etc/permissions.local, but whenever you see smart updated (should be done
> everytime you do an update of anything really) you need to run SuSEconfig as
> root. This will set the setuid flag on the file, and ksmarttray will do the
> right thing again.
>
Hehe, same problem here. Thanks Steve.

Marius

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SPAM: Re: SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Ed McCanless
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin
Basil Chupin wrote:

> Stephen Boddy wrote:
>  
>> ... but whenever you see smart updated (should be done
>> everytime you do an update of anything really) you need to run SuSEconfig as
>> root. This will set the setuid flag on the file, and ksmarttray will do the
>> right thing again.
>>
>> Regards
>>    
>
>
> BINGO!
>
> All in place as set up some time ago - but forgot to run SuSEconfig!
>
> Thanks, Stephen, ksmarttray now working correctly again :-) .
>
> Cheers.
>
>
>  
Hi all,
    Saw Stephen's post about running SuSeconfig after an update. Would
this also apply to ZMD? I did some work about 3 weeks ago, to get rid of
the zmd not running message. It appears to be running now, but I have
not seen an update since. I am using SuSE 10.1.

                                           --ED--

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SPAM: Re: SPAM: Re: SPAM: To all users of smart package manager

Basil Chupin
Ed McCanless wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> Stephen Boddy wrote:
>>  
>>> ... but whenever you see smart updated (should be done
>>> everytime you do an update of anything really) you need to run SuSEconfig as
>>> root. This will set the setuid flag on the file, and ksmarttray will do the
>>> right thing again.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>    
>>
>> BINGO!
>>
>> All in place as set up some time ago - but forgot to run SuSEconfig!
>>
>> Thanks, Stephen, ksmarttray now working correctly again :-) .
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>>
>>  
> Hi all,
>     Saw Stephen's post about running SuSeconfig after an update. Would
> this also apply to ZMD? I did some work about 3 weeks ago, to get rid of
> the zmd not running message. It appears to be running now, but I have
> not seen an update since. I am using SuSE 10.1.

I have absolutely no idea if this would apply to zmd--but I doubt that
it would.

Cheers.

--
"Every burned book enlightens the world."

                     Ralph Waldo Emerson


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Default GUI login changed on SLES 9.3 box

Falcon, George
We had a SLES 9.3 32-bit machine in our lab whose default KDE desktop
was replaced by a few blue GUI boxes.  I figured out that one of them
was a console, and started KDE by typing in "kde" at a command prompt.
KDE did start up at at that point, but there were new graphical icons on
the KDE desktop which reflected those I'd seen on the first screen.

What's the first set of icons, and how did this "spontaneous" upgrade
occur?  Could it have come from an upgrade performed automatically
overnight?  I was blamed for having changed the default desktop, and I
took no such action.


================================================

George Falcon, Sr. Systems Engineer, GEICO HQ
Software Distribution Team

================================================
====================
This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.

--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Default GUI login changed on SLES 9.3 box

Frank Bax
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin
At 10:43 AM 10/13/06, Falcon, George wrote:

>We had a SLES 9.3 32-bit machine in our lab whose default KDE desktop
>was replaced by a few blue GUI boxes.  I figured out that one of them
>was a console, and started KDE by typing in "kde" at a command prompt.
>KDE did start up at at that point, but there were new graphical icons on
>the KDE desktop which reflected those I'd seen on the first screen.
>
>What's the first set of icons, and how did this "spontaneous" upgrade
>occur?  Could it have come from an upgrade performed automatically
>overnight?  I was blamed for having changed the default desktop, and I
>took no such action.


This doesn't sound *exactly* the same as the problem I had a few months
back, but check this out:

         http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2005-Dec/0735.html

I never did find out how/why the system "broke", but it has happened to one
other system since.

Frank


--
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to [hidden email]
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]