SLE 15 Translation

Padraig Dillon
Hi,

I am  mailing to let you know that we are planning to begin some translation work in Weblate on the SLE 15 project. We hope to begin this work later this week. Our hope is to work on any strings that have suggestions, strings that have no translations, strings that have failing checks etc. We'll pause next week and take stock of our progress.

As this will be the first project where contracted translators will work in parallel with the community we want to make sure there are open channels of communication between all and that we build a good working relationship as we go through the project.

As usual any questions can be mailed to this mailing list and it will be monitored by our team. You can also contact me directly for any issues and I will do my best to answer.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Regards,
Padraig.

Padraig Dillon PMP
Localization Account Project Manager
Office +353 1 605 8078  | [hidden email]
http://www.microfocus.com/

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne úterý 12. prosince 2017 15:28:03 CET, Padraig Dillon napsal(a):

> Hi,
> I am  mailing to let you know that we are planning to begin some translation
> work in Weblate on the SLE 15 project. We hope to begin this work later
> this week. Our hope is to work on any strings that have suggestions,
> strings that have no translations, strings that have failing checks etc.
> We'll pause next week and take stock of our progress.
> As this will be the first project where contracted translators will work in
> parallel with the community we want to make sure there are open channels of
> communication between all and that we build a good working relationship as
> we go through the project.
> As usual any questions can be mailed to this mailing list and it will be
> monitored by our team. You can also contact me directly for any issues and
> I will do my best to answer.
> Looking forward to working with you all.
> Regards,
> Padraig.
Hi,
I'm confused, sorry. I have received hundreds of Weblate notifications about
changes in YaST and Zypper. But these projects have been kept on practically
100% for long time, see https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/ Untranslated
are mainly desktop-file-translations and packages-i18n. Within YaST,
timezone_db contains plenty of controls (mainly names of localities). These
projects really needing care have not been touched so far. So I don't really
know what's going on right now... I hoped in more coordination or that
contracted translators will finish missing gaps...?
Sincerely,
V.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Tomas Chvatal
Vojtěch Zeisek píše v St 20. 12. 2017 v 13:47 +0100:

> Dne úterý 12. prosince 2017 15:28:03 CET, Padraig Dillon napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> > I am  mailing to let you know that we are planning to begin some
> > translation
> > work in Weblate on the SLE 15 project. We hope to begin this work
> > later
> > this week. Our hope is to work on any strings that have
> > suggestions,
> > strings that have no translations, strings that have failing checks
> > etc.
> > We'll pause next week and take stock of our progress.
> > As this will be the first project where contracted translators will
> > work in
> > parallel with the community we want to make sure there are open
> > channels of
> > communication between all and that we build a good working
> > relationship as
> > we go through the project.
> > As usual any questions can be mailed to this mailing list and it
> > will be
> > monitored by our team. You can also contact me directly for any
> > issues and
> > I will do my best to answer.
> > Looking forward to working with you all.
> > Regards,
> > Padraig.
>
> Hi,
> I'm confused, sorry. I have received hundreds of Weblate
> notifications about
> changes in YaST and Zypper. But these projects have been kept on
> practically
> 100% for long time, see https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/
> Untranslated
> are mainly desktop-file-translations and packages-i18n. Within YaST,
> timezone_db contains plenty of controls (mainly names of localities).
> These
> projects really needing care have not been touched so far. So I don't
> really
> know what's going on right now... I hoped in more coordination or
> that
> contracted translators will finish missing gaps...?
> Sincerely,
> V.

Vojtech, this was announced in advance multiple times. Just search for
the SLE robot emails.

There are many suggestions presently on yast which provide translations
comming from SLE, they need to be reviewed and better translation is to
be picked (in most cases I did this morning tho I had to discard the
SLE translation).

If you don't wanna just receive emails you can of course do the same
reviews, there is cca 1500 strings to review in czech language.

For what is interest of SUSE we will for sure use contractors to
translate specific apps or do reviews like this, rather than
translating milion strings from desktop files...

Cheers

Tom

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Sarah Julia Kriesch
Hi Vojtech,

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2017 um 13:47 Uhr
> Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] SLE 15 Translation
>
> Hi,
> I'm confused, sorry. I have received hundreds of Weblate notifications about
> changes in YaST and Zypper. But these projects have been kept on practically
> 100% for long time, see https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/ Untranslated
> are mainly desktop-file-translations and packages-i18n. Within YaST,
> timezone_db contains plenty of controls (mainly names of localities). These
> projects really needing care have not been touched so far. So I don't really
> know what's going on right now... I hoped in more coordination or that
> contracted translators will finish missing gaps...?
> Sincerely,
> V.
>
> --
> Vojtěch Zeisek
> https://trapa.cz/

Can you describe your problem with an example string or something else, please?
I was looking into the history of zypper in Czech: https://l10n.opensuse.org/changes/?lang=cs&project=zypper
The change of all %s into '%s' is correct. I don't understand  Czech. So I can't review the language. But most things are looking correct from outside.
But what is especially your problem?

Best regards,
Sarah

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Yasuhiko Kamata
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 13:47:30 +0100
Vojtěch Zeisek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dne úterý 12. prosince 2017 15:28:03 CET, Padraig Dillon napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> > I am  mailing to let you know that we are planning to begin some
> > translation work in Weblate on the SLE 15 project. We hope to begin
> > this work later this week. Our hope is to work on any strings that
> > have suggestions, strings that have no translations, strings that
> > have failing checks etc. We'll pause next week and take stock of
> > our progress. As this will be the first project where contracted
> > translators will work in parallel with the community we want to
> > make sure there are open channels of communication between all and
> > that we build a good working relationship as we go through the
> > project. As usual any questions can be mailed to this mailing list
> > and it will be monitored by our team. You can also contact me
> > directly for any issues and I will do my best to answer.
> > Looking forward to working with you all.
> > Regards,
> > Padraig.
>
> Hi,
> I'm confused, sorry. I have received hundreds of Weblate
> notifications about changes in YaST and Zypper. But these projects
> have been kept on practically 100% for long time, see
> https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/ Untranslated are mainly
> desktop-file-translations and packages-i18n. Within YaST, timezone_db
> contains plenty of controls (mainly names of localities). These
> projects really needing care have not been touched so far. So I don't
> really know what's going on right now... I hoped in more coordination
> or that contracted translators will finish missing gaps...? Sincerely,
> V.
>
> --
> Vojtěch Zeisek
> https://trapa.cz/

Same for Japanese.
Many translations of YaST modules (yast-samba-client etc.) were updated
despite being already completed.
I think that he/she have his/her policy or some SLE policy was applied?
Anyway, I posted comments for mistranslation...

Yasuhiko Kamata
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne středa 20. prosince 2017 13:57:33 CET, Sarah Julia Kriesch napsal(a):

> Hi Vojtech,
>
> > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2017 um 13:47 Uhr
> > Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] SLE 15 Translation
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm confused, sorry. I have received hundreds of Weblate notifications
> > about changes in YaST and Zypper. But these projects have been kept on
> > practically 100% for long time, see
> > https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/ Untranslated are mainly
> > desktop-file-translations and packages-i18n. Within YaST, timezone_db
> > contains plenty of controls (mainly names of localities). These projects
> > really needing care have not been touched so far. So I don't really know
> > what's going on right now... I hoped in more coordination or that
> > contracted translators will finish missing gaps...?
> > Sincerely,
> > V.
>
> Can you describe your problem with an example string or something else,
> please? I was looking into the history of zypper in Czech:
> https://l10n.opensuse.org/changes/?lang=cs&project=zypper The change of all
> %s into '%s' is correct. I don't understand  Czech. So I can't review the
> language. But most things are looking correct from outside. But what is
> especially your problem?
I'm not sure if "problem" is a good word... For example
https://l10n.opensuse.org/translate/yast-dhcp-server/master/cs/?
checksum=6e00a403aa513bce
did just a very minute wording change (OK, if You'd sit with people from
various Czech regions in a pub, they could probably argue, which of the verbs
is better...;-), not really important in this case.
https://l10n.opensuse.org/projects/yast-dhcp-server/master/cs/#history
show mainly work on proposals.
Root of my confusion is, that I'd rather see work on untranslated and fuzzy
strings, than minute changes and checking old proposals...

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.opensuse.org/
https://trapa.cz/

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne středa 20. prosince 2017 13:54:54 CET, Tomas Chvatal napsal(a):

> Vojtěch Zeisek píše v St 20. 12. 2017 v 13:47 +0100:
> > Dne úterý 12. prosince 2017 15:28:03 CET, Padraig Dillon napsal(a):
> > > I am  mailing to let you know that we are planning to begin some
> > > translation
> > > work in Weblate on the SLE 15 project. We hope to begin this work
> > > later this week. Our hope is to work on any strings that have
> > > suggestions,
> > > strings that have no translations, strings that have failing checks
> > > etc. We'll pause next week and take stock of our progress.
> > > As this will be the first project where contracted translators will
> > > work in parallel with the community we want to make sure there are open
> > > channels of communication between all and that we build a good working
> > > relationship as we go through the project.
> > > As usual any questions can be mailed to this mailing list and it
> > > will be monitored by our team. You can also contact me directly for any
> > > issues and I will do my best to answer.
> >
> > I'm confused, sorry. I have received hundreds of Weblate
> > notifications about
> > changes in YaST and Zypper. But these projects have been kept on
> > practically
> > 100% for long time, see https://l10n.opensuse.org/languages/cs/
> > Untranslated
> > are mainly desktop-file-translations and packages-i18n. Within YaST,
> > timezone_db contains plenty of controls (mainly names of localities).
> > These
> > projects really needing care have not been touched so far. So I don't
> > really know what's going on right now... I hoped in more coordination or
> > that contracted translators will finish missing gaps...?
>
> Vojtech, this was announced in advance multiple times. Just search for
> the SLE robot emails.
The only matching mail for "SLE robot emails" is the original Padraig's one
during past year. :-)

> There are many suggestions presently on yast which provide translations
> comming from SLE, they need to be reviewed and better translation is to
> be picked (in most cases I did this morning tho I had to discard the
> SLE translation).

Yes, OK, if on the end there are no proposals and no fuzzy strings, it will be
good. Progress. Despite fact there are projects not in so good state. I'm not
complaining. I just did expect something slightly different...

> If you don't wanna just receive emails you can of course do the same
> reviews, there is cca 1500 strings to review in czech language.

I know how to turn it off. :-)

> For what is interest of SUSE we will for sure use contractors to
> translate specific apps or do reviews like this, rather than
> translating milion strings from desktop files...

Partially probably language specific question, but (in the past?), contracted
translators commonly used terms, which are weird for rest of most of the Czech
Linux world. I mean, their translations were inconsistent with another Linux
distributions, thus giving bit a strange feeling.
I understand the point, although desktop files also do contain plenty of
string useful for SLE, I think... Or no...?

> Cheers
> Tom

Thank You,
V.

Vojtěch Zeisek píše v St 20. 12. 2017 v 14:22 +0100:

> Yes, OK, if on the end there are no proposals and no fuzzy strings,
> it will be
> good. Progress. Despite fact there are projects not in so good state.
> I'm not
> complaining. I just did expect something slightly different...
>
> > If you don't wanna just receive emails you can of course do the
> > same
> > reviews, there is cca 1500 strings to review in czech language.
>
> I know how to turn it off. :-)
>
> > For what is interest of SUSE we will for sure use contractors to
> > translate specific apps or do reviews like this, rather than
> > translating milion strings from desktop files...
>
> Partially probably language specific question, but (in the past?),
> contracted
> translators commonly used terms, which are weird for rest of most of
> the Czech
> Linux world. I mean, their translations were inconsistent with
> another Linux
> distributions, thus giving bit a strange feeling.
> I understand the point, although desktop files also do contain plenty
> of
> string useful for SLE, I think... Or no...?

Well SUSE has list of integral parts which get reviewed and updated as
needed. Those desktops are not there.

Simply take it as provided services that you shall get list of stuff
that you could later on review rather than retranslate, and we have
tons of bugs in the translations (which we plan to ammend with in
example common glossary hopefuly inheriting from [1]).

Also the weird translations are the reason I took time to review the
stuff and have more than 60% of rejected suggestion rate... But in the
end I found issues in the former translation and tweaked it too, so it
is not complete waste...

Cheers

Tom

[1] http://wiki.l10n.cz/P%C5%99ekladatelsk%C3%BD_slovn%C3%ADk

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne středa 20. prosince 2017 14:28:40 CET, Tomas Chvatal napsal(a):

> Vojtěch Zeisek píše v St 20. 12. 2017 v 14:22 +0100:
> > Yes, OK, if on the end there are no proposals and no fuzzy strings,
> > it will be
> > good. Progress. Despite fact there are projects not in so good state.
> > I'm not complaining. I just did expect something slightly different...
> >
> > > For what is interest of SUSE we will for sure use contractors to
> > > translate specific apps or do reviews like this, rather than
> > > translating milion strings from desktop files...
> >
> > Partially probably language specific question, but (in the past?),
> > contracted
> > translators commonly used terms, which are weird for rest of most of
> > the Czech Linux world. I mean, their translations were inconsistent with
> > another Linux distributions, thus giving bit a strange feeling.
> > I understand the point, although desktop files also do contain plenty
> > of string useful for SLE, I think... Or no...?
>
> Well SUSE has list of integral parts which get reviewed and updated as
> needed. Those desktops are not there.
>
> Simply take it as provided services that you shall get list of stuff
> that you could later on review rather than retranslate, and we have
> tons of bugs in the translations (which we plan to ammend with in
> example common glossary hopefuly inheriting from [1]).
>
> Also the weird translations are the reason I took time to review the
> stuff and have more than 60% of rejected suggestion rate... But in the
> end I found issues in the former translation and tweaked it too, so it
> is not complete waste...
>
> [1] http://wiki.l10n.cz/P%C5%99ekladatelsk%C3%BD_slovn%C3%ADk
OK, good, thank You. If we get rid of that, ehm..., weird translations (and
won't get any new;-), it will be good. But as Yasuhiko Kamata pointed out,
such issues can be present also in another languages. Czech is/will be solved,
but what about the others?

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Yasuhiko Kamata
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 09:20:09 +0100
"Sarah Julia Kriesch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2017 um 15:07 Uhr
> > Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] SLE 15 Translation
> >

> > OK, good, thank You. If we get rid of that, ehm..., weird translations (and
> > won't get any new;-), it will be good. But as Yasuhiko Kamata pointed out,
> > such issues can be present also in another languages. Czech is/will be solved,
> > but what about the others?
> >
> > --
> > Vojtěch Zeisek
> > https://trapa.cz/
> >
> You can find the Coordinator for specific languages in our team list [1].
> Yuuichi is the Coordinator for Japanese[2].
> What can other Translators (without Coordinator) do? You can review all changed translations. You are native speakers in your language!
> Change it, if it is a weird translation and let it, if it is better than before.
>
> Best regards,
> Sarah
>

> [1] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
> [2] https://ja.opensuse.org/%E5%88%A9%E7%94%A8%E8%80%85:Yuuichi

For Japanese, I started to check their translation and post a comment if needed.
Discussion using comment feature is now working fine and we could arrive at an
agreement (and some of translations from them/me can be fixed nicely :-))

For other languages, similar problem may occur,
but I think that Weblate system can mediate well.

Yasuhiko Kamata <[hidden email]>

RE: SLE 15 Translation

Padraig Dillon
HI All,

Just to clarify our approach. As has been mentioned we are going through the suggestions to make sure our translators select the best strings for each. This will take some time to complete for each of the 16 languages we are targeting.

We will also close the gap for any missing translations or any strings with failing QA checks. This work will continue in January. There are still some discussions around what packages should be included in the SLE 15 project in Weblate but our hope is that this list will be completed shortly and once in place we will target all packages.

Our goal is exactly the same as yours in that we aim to produce a product that is translated to the highest quality standards but if you see any issues please feel free to raise them and let us know.

Thanks all,
Padraig.

"Sarah Julia Kriesch" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2017 um 15:07 Uhr
> > Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <[hidden email]>
> > An: [hidden email]
> > Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] SLE 15 Translation
> >

> > OK, good, thank You. If we get rid of that, ehm..., weird
> > translations (and won't get any new;-), it will be good. But as
> > Yasuhiko Kamata pointed out, such issues can be present also in
> > another languages. Czech is/will be solved, but what about the others?
> >
> > --
> > Vojtěch Zeisek
> > https://trapa.cz/
> >
> You can find the Coordinator for specific languages in our team list [1].
> Yuuichi is the Coordinator for Japanese[2].
> What can other Translators (without Coordinator) do? You can review all changed translations. You are native speakers in your language!
> Change it, if it is a weird translation and let it, if it is better than before.
>
> Best regards,
> Sarah
>

> [1] https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_team
> [2] https://ja.opensuse.org/%E5%88%A9%E7%94%A8%E8%80%85:Yuuichi

For Japanese, I started to check their translation and post a comment if needed.
Discussion using comment feature is now working fine and we could arrive at an
agreement (and some of translations from them/me can be fixed nicely :-))

For other languages, similar problem may occur,
but I think that Weblate system can mediate well.

Yasuhiko Kamata <[hidden email]>

N�����r��y隊Z)z{.��kj{%jب�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.��kj{%jب��0�����Ǩ�

Re: SLE 15 Translation

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Hi

Dne čtvrtek 21. prosince 2017 16:06:30 CET, Padraig Dillon napsal(a):

> HI All,
> Just to clarify our approach. As has been mentioned we are going through the
> suggestions to make sure our translators select the best strings for each.
> This will take some time to complete for each of the 16 languages we are
> targeting.
> We will also close the gap for any missing translations or any strings with
> failing QA checks. This work will continue in January. There are still some
> discussions around what packages should be included in the SLE 15 project
> in Weblate but our hope is that this list will be completed shortly and
> once in place we will target all packages.
Is there, please, some more exact estimation when this work will finish?
And what is the state of mentioned discussions? :-)

> Our goal is exactly the same as yours in that we aim to produce a product
> that is translated to the highest quality standards but if you see any
> issues please feel free to raise them and let us know.

It seems to be running well.

> Thanks all,
> Padraig.

Thank You,
V.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

RE: SLE 15 Translation

Padraig Dillon
Hi Vojtěch,

We aim to continue this work off and on through January. This may vary on a language by language basis but that is our aim right now.

Thanks,
Padraig.

Dne čtvrtek 21. prosince 2017 16:06:30 CET, Padraig Dillon napsal(a):

> HI All,
> Just to clarify our approach. As has been mentioned we are going
> through the suggestions to make sure our translators select the best strings for each.
> This will take some time to complete for each of the 16 languages we
> are targeting.
> We will also close the gap for any missing translations or any strings
> with failing QA checks. This work will continue in January. There are
> still some discussions around what packages should be included in the
> SLE 15 project in Weblate but our hope is that this list will be
> completed shortly and once in place we will target all packages.

Is there, please, some more exact estimation when this work will finish?
And what is the state of mentioned discussions? :-)

> Our goal is exactly the same as yours in that we aim to produce a
> product that is translated to the highest quality standards but if you
> see any issues please feel free to raise them and let us know.

It seems to be running well.

> Thanks all,
> Padraig.

Thank You,