Reverting to xorg 7.1

charles buchanan
Is there away to revert back to 7.1 from 7.2?  From my reading about, the
latest ati drivers for the x1300 does not support xorg 7.2. I tried to
install the drivers from ATI and it gave the error that it doesn't support
SuSe, which is kinda strange seeing that 10.2 is listed in the package
itself. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I followed the instructions on
the How-To page on the SuSe website. I can finally view videos, but it's like
I running them on a 286. :-(

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

John Andersen
On Saturday 10 February 2007, charles buchanan wrote:
> Is there away to revert back to 7.1 from 7.2?  From my reading about, the
> latest ati drivers for the x1300 does not support xorg 7.2. I tried to
> install the drivers from ATI and it gave the error that it doesn't support
> SuSe, which is kinda strange seeing that 10.2 is listed in the package
> itself. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I followed the instructions on
> the How-To page on the SuSe website.

Yes, you must be doing something wrong, because I have installed
using that card.

Carefully follow the directions in the ati package, (its not an rpm).

Read averything on the suse site with due regard to the date it was written
and the version for which it was written.

Also read all the way thru the ati directions because they have a habit of
leaving obsolete stuff in the docs and adding "Oh, by the way" paragraphs
later.

The New feature list from ATI says:

X.Org 7.2 Support
 This release of the ATI Catalyst™ Linux software driver provides support for
the offical X.Org 7.2 release. The previous release (8.32.5) supported the X
Org 7.2 RC2 release only.

I have been running that release for a while on an x1300 and an x1400
card and it works pretty well.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

Charles R. Buchanan

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:40:28 -0900, John Andersen <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:

(^_^)On Saturday 10 February 2007, charles buchanan wrote:
(^_^)> Is there away to revert back to 7.1 from 7.2?  From my reading about, the
(^_^)> latest ati drivers for the x1300 does not support xorg 7.2. I tried to
(^_^)> install the drivers from ATI and it gave the error that it doesn't support
(^_^)> SuSe, which is kinda strange seeing that 10.2 is listed in the package
(^_^)> itself. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I followed the instructions on
(^_^)> the How-To page on the SuSe website.
(^_^)
[...]
(^_^)_____________________________________
(^_^)John Andersen

I didn't want to say that maybe the instructions were wrong. ;-) This
(ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run) is the driver I downloaded
from the ATI website.  Last week I ran the installer and the cancel and
(ok/next/continue) button was below the bottom of the screen so I had no
way of moving and/or resizing the dialog box! :-(  Couldn't (obviously)
change resolution. Tabbing didn't seem to work either.

Have to boot into Linux, hopefully I can find the link to the page I
followed.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

John Andersen
On Saturday 10 February 2007, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> I didn't want to say that maybe the instructions were wrong. ;-) This
> (ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run) is the driver I downloaded
> from the ATI website.  Last week I ran the installer and the cancel and
> (ok/next/continue) button was below the bottom of the screen so I had no
> way of moving and/or resizing the dialog box!

Init 3
then do it all in a shell (text mode).

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

charles buchanan
On Saturday 10 February 2007 16:02, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> > I didn't want to say that maybe the instructions were wrong. ;-) This
> > (ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run) is the driver I downloaded
> > from the ATI website.  Last week I ran the installer and the cancel and
> > (ok/next/continue) button was below the bottom of the screen so I had no
> > way of moving and/or resizing the dialog box!
>
> Init 3
> then do it all in a shell (text mode).

I did that earlier with no (good) results! I'm about to give it another whirl
right now. Film @ 11! :-)

Thanks!

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

charles buchanan
On Saturday 10 February 2007 16:02, John Andersen wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2007, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> > I didn't want to say that maybe the instructions were wrong. ;-) This
> > (ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run) is the driver I downloaded
> > from the ATI website.  Last week I ran the installer and the cancel and
> > (ok/next/continue) button was below the bottom of the screen so I had no
> > way of moving and/or resizing the dialog box!
>
> Init 3
> then do it all in a shell (text mode).

So far, what I have really learned is that nothing comes by with any
resemblance of being relatively easy huh? :-(

This is what it said to do on the website:

=========

# su
   password
   # cd /usr/src/linux
   # make mrproper
   # make cloneconfig
   # make modules_prepare
   # make clean

---------------------

This is (recommended) to prepare the Kernel for the new drivers. Ok, that's
fine. However, there is no directory called Linux. :-O  Now the thought have
occurred to me that maybe this is a generic name, The folder(s) that are
there are "linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj" and "packages"  So I'll replace the name
and see what happens.

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

charles buchanan
On Saturday 10 February 2007 16:40, charles buchanan wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 16:02, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 February 2007, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> > > I didn't want to say that maybe the instructions were wrong. ;-) This
> > > (ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run) is the driver I downloaded
> > > from the ATI website.  Last week I ran the installer and the cancel and
> > > (ok/next/continue) button was below the bottom of the screen so I had
> > > no way of moving and/or resizing the dialog box!
> >
> > Init 3
> > then do it all in a shell (text mode).
>
> So far, what I have really learned is that nothing comes by with any
> resemblance of being relatively easy huh? :-(
>
> This is what it said to do on the website:
>
> =========
>
> # su
>    password
>    # cd /usr/src/linux
>    # make mrproper
>    # make cloneconfig
>    # make modules_prepare
>    # make clean
>
> ---------------------
>
> This is (recommended) to prepare the Kernel for the new drivers. Ok, that's
> fine. However, there is no directory called Linux. :-O  Now the thought
> have occurred to me that maybe this is a generic name, The folder(s) that
> are there are "linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj" and "packages"  So I'll replace the
> name and see what happens.

Well, that didn't work either. Well, it's dinner time. Hell of a way to spend
ones birthday huh? :-O

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

Sunny_bg
On 2/10/07, charles buchanan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is what it said to do on the website:
>
> =========
>
> # su
>    password
>    # cd /usr/src/linux
>    # make mrproper
>    # make cloneconfig
>    # make modules_prepare
>    # make clean
>
> ---------------------
>
> This is (recommended) to prepare the Kernel for the new drivers. Ok, that's
> fine. However, there is no directory called Linux. :-O  Now the thought have
> occurred to me that maybe this is a generic name, The folder(s) that are
> there are "linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj" and "packages"  So I'll replace the name
> and see what happens.

You need kernel-sources package installed to have the heather files
and includes to build the driver. It will make the proper
/usr/src/linux link.

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

charles buchanan
On Saturday 10 February 2007 17:09, Sunny wrote:

> On 2/10/07, charles buchanan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is what it said to do on the website:
> >
> > =========
> >
> > # su
> >    password
> >    # cd /usr/src/linux
> >    # make mrproper
> >    # make cloneconfig
> >    # make modules_prepare
> >    # make clean
> >
> > ---------------------
> >
> > This is (recommended) to prepare the Kernel for the new drivers. Ok,
> > that's fine. However, there is no directory called Linux. :-O  Now the
> > thought have occurred to me that maybe this is a generic name, The
> > folder(s) that are there are "linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj" and "packages"  So
> > I'll replace the name and see what happens.
>
> You need kernel-sources package installed to have the heather files
> and includes to build the driver. It will make the proper
> /usr/src/linux link.

Ok, I did that. Thanks!  I did manage to install the ATI drivers, but I do
believe it wasn't because of the missing kernel sources though. More like
Linux having a habit of being picky about the difference between SuSe and
SuSE!  Passwords I can see why case would matter.  Anyway, the scrolling is
still slow, can't view videos full screen, and still can't change
resolutions. Also it still says I'm using framebuffer as well.

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

Scott Jones-6
On Saturday 10 February 2007, charles buchanan wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 17:09, Sunny wrote:
> > You need kernel-sources package installed to have the heather files
> > and includes to build the driver. It will make the proper
> > /usr/src/linux link.
>
> Ok, I did that. Thanks!  I did manage to install the ATI drivers, but I do
> believe it wasn't because of the missing kernel sources though.

No, that's exactly what it was.  Both the ATI and NVIDIA proprietary drivers
require that you have the kernel sources matching your running kernel
installed in order to build their respective kernel modules.  No way around
that.

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

John Andersen
On Saturday 10 February 2007, charles buchanan wrote:

> On Saturday 10 February 2007 16:02, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 February 2007, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> > > I didn't want to say that maybe the instructions were wrong. ;-) This
> > > (ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run) is the driver I downloaded
> > > from the ATI website.  Last week I ran the installer and the cancel and
> > > (ok/next/continue) button was below the bottom of the screen so I had
> > > no way of moving and/or resizing the dialog box!
> >
> > Init 3
> > then do it all in a shell (text mode).
>
> So far, what I have really learned is that nothing comes by with any
> resemblance of being relatively easy huh? :-(
>
> This is what it said to do on the website:
>
> =========
>
> # su
>    password
>    # cd /usr/src/linux
>    # make mrproper
>    # make cloneconfig
>    # make modules_prepare
>    # make clean
>
> ---------------------
>
> This is (recommended) to prepare the Kernel for the new drivers. Ok, that's
> fine. However, there is no directory called Linux. :-O  Now the thought
> have occurred to me that maybe this is a generic name, The folder(s) that
> are there are "linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj" and "packages"  So I'll replace the
> name and see what happens.
A) I never had to do any of that.  Remember, you are going to run
the installer.bin not recompile a kernel, or even make modules.

B) You will probably need your kernel source rpms installed.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

charles buchanan
On Saturday 10 February 2007 20:28, John Andersen wrote:

> > This is what it said to do on the website:
> >
> > =========
> >
> > # su
> >    password
> >    # cd /usr/src/linux
> >    # make mrproper
> >    # make cloneconfig
> >    # make modules_prepare
> >    # make clean
> >
> > ---------------------
> >
> > This is (recommended) to prepare the Kernel for the new drivers. Ok,
> > that's fine. However, there is no directory called Linux. :-O  Now the
> > thought have occurred to me that maybe this is a generic name, The
> > folder(s) that are there are "linux-2.6.18.2-34-obj" and "packages"  So
> > I'll replace the name and see what happens.
>
> A) I never had to do any of that.  Remember, you are going to run
> the installer.bin not recompile a kernel, or even make modules.
>
> B) You will probably need your kernel source rpms installed.

So this has been done and the drivers were installed, but I still can't change
resolutions and other things. In theory it should work now. :-O

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

Joe Morris
charles buchanan wrote:
> So this has been done and the drivers were installed, but I still can't change
> resolutions and other things. In theory it should work now. :-O
Did you run sax2 -m 0=fglrx from a console after you installed it?

--
Joe Morris

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1

Charles R. Buchanan

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:11:47 +0800, "Joe Morris (NTM)" <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:

JM(<>charles buchanan wrote:
JM(<>> So this has been done and the drivers were installed, but I still can't change
JM(<>> resolutions and other things. In theory it should work now. :-O

JM(<>Did you run sax2 -m 0=fglrx from a console after you installed it?

No I didn't! :-(  I will give it a shot when I can get back into Linux.
HAd to re-install WIndows last night and the only thing that it should
have affected was the bootloader, which was expected, but it seems I
have to try and re-build the fstab file somehow. Tried the repair and it
still says failed. :-(

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
-Will Rogers

Re: Reverting to xorg 7.1 - Joe

Charles R. Buchanan

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:11:47 +0800, "Joe Morris (NTM)" <[hidden email]> took time to say the following:

>charles buchanan wrote:
>> So this has been done and the drivers were installed, but I still can't change
>> resolutions and other things. In theory it should work now. :-O

>Did you run sax2 -m 0=fglrx from a console after you installed it?
>
>--
>Joe Morris

Well, I just ran that and everything looked good up until the booting
into 10.2 and straight to the CLI! :-(  Won't even launch the GUI.  So
many things zipped acrossed (up) the screen, it would take me quite
awhile to write all that stuff down!  Will try again later to boot into
10.2 and if that don't work, I'll probably try the repair thing...AGAIN!

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels