Request to Whitelist Packages

Jason Record-2
All,

I would like to white list some packages that I need to submit to openSUSE:Factory as part of the "first policy". These packages need to be in SLES15. They are already included in SLE12 SP*. They are:

sca-appliance-agent
sca-appliance-broker
sca-appliance-common
sca-appliance-patdev

sca-patterns-base
sca-patterns-hae
sca-patterns-oes
sca-patterns-sle11
sca-patterns-sle12
sca-patterns-suma

sca-server-report

supportutils

The following packages can be distributed via the update channel and don't need to be included on shipping media.

sca-patterns-edir
sca-patterns-filr
sca-patterns-groupwise
sca-patterns-sle09
sca-patterns-sle10

The sca-patterns-* are used by the SCA Tool to analyze supportconfigs for known issues.

Jason Record

Re: Request to Whitelist Packages

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
Dear Jason,

On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 12:37 -0600, Jason Record wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to white list some packages that I need to submit to
> openSUSE:Factory as part of the "first policy". These packages need
> to be in SLES15. They are already included in SLE12 SP*. They are:

There is no package whitelist for openSUSE:Factoyr; what we do have,
though, is a list of approved devel projects where packages can come
from. If you need to submit from a project which is not yet approvaed,
you can create a submit request against
openSUSE:Factory:Staging/dashboard with a modification of the 'config'
file in there, adding your project to the devel project whitelist.

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: Request to Whitelist Packages

Stephan Kulow-3
On 10/03/2017 08:37 PM, Jason Record wrote:

> All,
>
> I would like to white list some packages that I need to submit to
> openSUSE:Factory as part of the "first policy". These packages need to
> be in SLES15. They are already included in SLE12 SP*. They are:
>
> sca-appliance-agent
> sca-appliance-broker
> sca-appliance-common
> sca-appliance-patdev
>
> sca-patterns-base
> sca-patterns-hae
> sca-patterns-oes
> sca-patterns-sle11
> sca-patterns-sle12
> sca-patterns-suma
>
> sca-server-report
>
> supportutils

I think you misunderstood the policy. We don't need things in
openSUSE:Factory that have 0 relevance in openSUSE. These sound
a lot like SUSE specific meta packages.

Greetings, Stephan

Re: Request to Whitelist Packages

Richard Brown
On 4 October 2017 at 13:32, Stephan Kulow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/03/2017 08:37 PM, Jason Record wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I would like to white list some packages that I need to submit to
>> openSUSE:Factory as part of the "first policy". These packages need to
>> be in SLES15. They are already included in SLE12 SP*. They are:
>>
>> sca-appliance-agent
>> sca-appliance-broker
>> sca-appliance-common
>> sca-appliance-patdev
>>
>> sca-patterns-base
>> sca-patterns-hae
>> sca-patterns-oes
>> sca-patterns-sle11
>> sca-patterns-sle12
>> sca-patterns-suma
>>
>> sca-server-report
>>
>> supportutils
>>
> I think you misunderstood the policy. We don't need things in
> openSUSE:Factory that have 0 relevance in openSUSE. These sound
> a lot like SUSE specific meta packages.
>
> Greetings, Stephan

I believe they are needed by supportutils

And there are certainly some people who would like supportconfig in openSUSE

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-08/msg01134.html

Not only some of our users and bug triagers, but I'd like it to reduce
the manual diff I currently have to carry in Kubic to compensate for
the lack of supportutils compared to SUSE's CaaS Platform.

So, while you're right, we dont want to carry stuff with zero
relevance to openSUSE, in this case, there is relevance.

Regards,

Richard

On 10/04/2017 01:39 PM, Richard Brown wrote:

> On 4 October 2017 at 13:32, Stephan Kulow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/03/2017 08:37 PM, Jason Record wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I would like to white list some packages that I need to submit to
>>> openSUSE:Factory as part of the "first policy". These packages need to
>>> be in SLES15. They are already included in SLE12 SP*. They are:
>>>
>>> sca-appliance-agent
>>> sca-appliance-broker
>>> sca-appliance-common
>>> sca-appliance-patdev
>>>
>>> sca-patterns-base
>>> sca-patterns-hae
>>> sca-patterns-oes
>>> sca-patterns-sle11
>>> sca-patterns-sle12
>>> sca-patterns-suma
>>>
>>> sca-server-report
>>>
>>> supportutils
>>>
>> I think you misunderstood the policy. We don't need things in
>> openSUSE:Factory that have 0 relevance in openSUSE. These sound
>> a lot like SUSE specific meta packages.
>>
>> Greetings, Stephan
>
> I believe they are needed by supportutils
>
> And there are certainly some people who would like supportconfig in openSUSE
>
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-08/msg01134.html
>
> Not only some of our users and bug triagers, but I'd like it to reduce
> the manual diff I currently have to carry in Kubic to compensate for
> the lack of supportutils compared to SUSE's CaaS Platform.

Ok, then let me ask this: who is going to maintain these packages for
Tumbleweed and Leap?

Greetings, Stephan

On 4 October 2017 at 14:42, Stephan Kulow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/04/2017 01:39 PM, Richard Brown wrote:

>>> I think you misunderstood the policy. We don't need things in
>>> openSUSE:Factory that have 0 relevance in openSUSE. These sound
>>> a lot like SUSE specific meta packages.
>>>
>>> Greetings, Stephan
>>
>> I believe they are needed by supportutils
>>
>> And there are certainly some people who would like supportconfig in openSUSE
>>
>> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-08/msg01134.html
>>
>> Not only some of our users and bug triagers, but I'd like it to reduce
>> the manual diff I currently have to carry in Kubic to compensate for
>> the lack of supportutils compared to SUSE's CaaS Platform.
>
> Ok, then let me ask this: who is going to maintain these packages for
> Tumbleweed and Leap?
>
> Greetings, Stephan

Jason Record ;)

Re: Request to Whitelist Packages

Jim Fehlig
On 10/04/2017 05:39 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

> On 4 October 2017 at 13:32, Stephan Kulow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/03/2017 08:37 PM, Jason Record wrote:
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I would like to white list some packages that I need to submit to
>>> openSUSE:Factory as part of the "first policy". These packages need to
>>> be in SLES15. They are already included in SLE12 SP*. They are:
>>>
>>> sca-appliance-agent
>>> sca-appliance-broker
>>> sca-appliance-common
>>> sca-appliance-patdev
>>>
>>> sca-patterns-base
>>> sca-patterns-hae
>>> sca-patterns-oes
>>> sca-patterns-sle11
>>> sca-patterns-sle12
>>> sca-patterns-suma
>>>
>>> sca-server-report
>>>
>>> supportutils
>>>
>> I think you misunderstood the policy. We don't need things in
>> openSUSE:Factory that have 0 relevance in openSUSE. These sound
>> a lot like SUSE specific meta packages.
>>
>> Greetings, Stephan
>
> I believe they are needed by supportutils
>
> And there are certainly some people who would like supportconfig in openSUSE
>
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-08/msg01134.html

As a bug fixer, I'd like to see supportconfig in openSUSE :-). I too have
mistakenly asked openSUSE bug reporters for a supportconfig. After receiving a
blank stare, I'm reminded it's an openSUSE bug and explicitly ask for file xyz,
output of command foo, /proc/cpuinfo, ...

Regards,
Jim