Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Dr. Werner Fink
Hi,

there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.

Werner

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-11-24 18:14, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.

+1

I use fortune, I would not like it removed.

I have no idea what the iconv vs recode issue is.

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Dmitriy Perlow-2
Fri, 24 Nov 2017 20:34:32 +0300 Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]>
напісаў(ла):

> On 2017-11-24 18:14, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
>> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
>
> +1
>
> I use fortune, I would not like it removed.
>
> I have no idea what the iconv vs recode issue is.

Hello.

+1

Fortune rules!

--
Best regards,
Dmitriy Perlow

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Tom Hardy
On Friday, 24 November 2017 11:35:49 CST Dmitriy A. Perlow wrote:

> Fortune rules!

I want to add fortune (or programmatic text) to KDE's lock screen.

My screensaver used to be "noseguy".

--
Tom Hardy <[hidden email]>

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Tomas Chvatal

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Michal Kubecek
On Friday, 24 November 2017 18:54 Tomas Chvatal wrote:

> Dr. Werner Fink píše v Pá 24. 11. 2017 v 18:14 +0100:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to
> > drop
> > fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
> >

> > Werner
> >
> > [1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194
>
> Well then maintain the recode, I am more than willing to hand over
> that package to your capable hands, quite easy eh. But I will also
> assign the bugs and expect them fixed, quite fair ain't that?

Hm... would it be really so hard to patch fortune to use iconv instead?

Michal Kubeček

On 2017-11-24 18:54, Tomas Chvatal wrote:

> Dr. Werner Fink píše v Pá 24. 11. 2017 v 18:14 +0100:
>> Hi,
>
>> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to
>> drop
>> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
>

>> Werner
>
>> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194
>
> Well then maintain the recode, I am more than willing to hand over that
> package to your capable hands, quite easy eh. But I will also assign
> the bugs and expect them fixed, quite fair ain't that?
I have no idea what recode is, sorry.

On 2017-11-24 18:14, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
>

> Werner
>
> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194

I have no idea what the recode vs iconv issues are.

apropos recode throws tons of hits, so I'm baffled. It seems a set of
tools to convert from one charset to another. Is this going to
disappear, too?

apropos iconv throws several hits, but fewer. It appears to do a similar
thing.

fortune.c is a single source file of 41000 bytes, 1722 lines. Not big.
It includes recode.h. I was a C programmer, but I haven't touched it in
more than a decade, and not in Linux. I don't know, but I think I can't
help much with switching from recode to iconv.

I see in the repos a "misfortune" package, described as a "Fortune-mod
clone". Can we use that as a drop-in replacement to "fortune", or is it
sufficiently similar. Can it use the same fortune listings?

I see it in "https://github.com/mokus0/misfortune", I think.

 README.md

This is a fortune-mod clone. In addition to the features generally
expected of a fortune program, this can be used as a Haskell library
(import Data.Fortune) and also supports UTF-8 fortune files,
configurable search paths, automatic merging of fortune databases with
the same name (so you can have a local fortunes folder that just adds to
existing fortune databases), filtering fortunes by line lengths, and a
"print fortune matching regex" mode (instead of just "print all fortunes
matching regex" mode).

Could we use that one instead, or does it has also issues of its own?
I see it is in TW.

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Henne Vogelsang-2
Hey Peepz,

> I'd like to vote not to drop fortune even it it does not use iconv but
recode.
> I use fortune, I would not like it removed.
> I have no idea what the iconv vs recode issue is.
> I have no idea what recode is, sorry.

If you don't have any idea what any of this means and you can't come up
with a qualified reason why the maintainer of the package should
reconsider here is a new idea for you: Refrain from commenting :-)

This list is about maintenance of openSUSE:Factory, not list about all
the tools you like.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang
http://www.opensuse.org

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Bjoern Voigt
Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
>

> Werner
>
> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194
Could anyone please explain, why the Recode dependency of Fortune is a
problem?

Should Recode be dropped and why?

Greetings,
Björn

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Simon Lees-3

On 28/11/17 08:30, Bjoern Voigt wrote:

> Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to drop
>> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
>>

>> Werner
>>
>> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194
> Could anyone please explain, why the Recode dependency of Fortune is a
> problem?
>
> Should Recode be dropped and why?

Recode is being dropped simply because it currently has no maintainer,
for a package to be in openSUSE someone has to commit to maintain it.
Whoever was doing this in the past doesn't want to anymore, so either
someone else steps in to maintain it or it gets dropped.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Dmitriy Perlow-2
Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:09:35 +0300 Simon Lees <[hidden email]> напісаў(ла):

> On 28/11/17 08:30, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
>> Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
>>> there is a drop request against fortune[1]. I'd like to vote not to
>>> drop
>>> fortune even it it does not use iconv but recode.
>>>

>>> Werner
>>>
>>> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/545194
>> Could anyone please explain, why the Recode dependency of Fortune is a
>> problem?
>>
>> Should Recode be dropped and why?
>>

> Recode is being dropped simply because it currently has no maintainer,
> for a package to be in openSUSE someone has to commit to maintain it.
> Whoever was doing this in the past doesn't want to anymore, so either
> someone else steps in to maintain it or it gets dropped.

OK. So if I take the maintainership will nothing be dropped? Is any real
problem about recode?

--
Best regards,
Dmitriy Perlow

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 03:32:58AM +0000, Dmitriy A. Perlow wrote:

> Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:09:35 +0300 Simon Lees <[hidden email]> напісаў(ла):

> > > Could anyone please explain, why the Recode dependency of Fortune is a
> > > problem?
> > >
> > > Should Recode be dropped and why?
> > >

> > Recode is being dropped simply because it currently has no maintainer,
> > for a package to be in openSUSE someone has to commit to maintain it.
> > Whoever was doing this in the past doesn't want to anymore, so either
> > someone else steps in to maintain it or it gets dropped.
>
> OK. So if I take the maintainership will nothing be dropped? Is any real
> problem about recode?
Not that I'm aware ... I've compared with recode package from Debian at
https://packages.debian.org/sid/recode and found similar patches and
also a few more[1].  Only the Url http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca seems to
be dead but on github there is a perfect replacement https://github.com/pinard/Recode/

If you like to become a maintainer I can set you as maintainer/bugowner
of package recode

Werner

[1] http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/r/recode/recode_3.6-23.debian.tar.xz

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Martin Pluskal-2
On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 13:45 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Sorry, but it is the only list where users can ask such things.
No it is not.

Regards

Martin

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

skunze
On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:39:48 PM CET [hidden email] wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-11-28 at 13:45 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > Sorry, but it is the only list where users can ask such things.
>
> No it is not.
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

Martin , the latest information I have is similar, but already quite old.

Question to released Products opensuse, leap should go to the opensuse ML .
Question to Factory/Tumbleweed should go here.

To my knowledge that was never a pure developer ML.

Or has this changed ?

Sorry for bikeshedding here

Stefan

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

skunze
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Private mail to avoid adding to the bikeshedding problem

> Products - that includes BOTH openSUSE Distributions, Leap &
> Tumbleweed.

> the discussion of the development of openSUSE's products - that
> includes BOTH openSUSE Distributions, Leap & Tumbleweed.
>
> The primary function of -factory has _always_ been a developer mailinglist
>
> The above has been true since the inception of both lists and has not
> changed. The only scope for clarification is the fact that Tumbleweed
> transitioned from being a developer-only offering to a general
> 'released' offering of the openSUSE Project in 2014.
>
> Obviously, we're a happy friendly open community, so there is room for
> latitude in -factory.
> We should be welcoming to outsiders, especially potential contributors
> - but Carlos has established himself over the last 12 years as someone
> who talks before thinking, and I fully support Henne and Martin's
> efforts to remind him that when he posts knowingly ill-informed mails,
> he is detracting from the intended function of the -factory list
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Richard Brown
> openSUSE Chairman

Thank you Richard,

that clarifies things and update my knowledge.
appreciate it

thx

Stefan

Dr. Werner Fink píše v Út 28. 11. 2017 v 10:19 +0100:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 03:32:58AM +0000, Dmitriy A. Perlow wrote:
> > Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:09:35 +0300 Simon Lees <[hidden email]>
> > напісаў(ла):

> > > Recode is being dropped simply because it currently has no
> > > maintainer,
> > > for a package to be in openSUSE someone has to commit to maintain
> > > it.
> > > Whoever was doing this in the past doesn't want to anymore, so
> > > either
> > > someone else steps in to maintain it or it gets dropped.
> >
> > OK. So if I take the maintainership will nothing be dropped? Is any
> > real
> > problem about recode?
>
> Not that I'm aware ... I've compared with recode package from Debian
> at
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/recode and found similar patches and
> also a few more[1].  Only the Url http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca
> seems to
> be dead but on github there is a perfect replacement https://github.c
> om/pinard/Recode/
>
> If you like to become a maintainer I can set you as
> maintainer/bugowner
> of package recode

Francois is dead. So even if you have github you need to fork it and
develop in there.

Anyway, it is 2 months now and neither nobody took over recode nor
fortune got updated to not rely on recode. So what is the plan?

Also based on OBS data there is not even maintainer of the fortune
itself should I again proceed with the drop as people planned only just
to complain?

Cheers

Tom

Re: Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune

Dmitriy Perlow-2
Tue, 09 Jan 2018 17:54:19 +0300 Tomas Chvatal <[hidden email]>
напісаў(ла):

> Dr. Werner Fink píše v Út 28. 11. 2017 v 10:19 +0100:
>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 03:32:58AM +0000, Dmitriy A. Perlow wrote:
>> > Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:09:35 +0300 Simon Lees <[hidden email]>
>> > напісаў(ла):

>> > OK. So if I take the maintainership will nothing be dropped? Is any
>> > real
>> > problem about recode?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware ... I've compared with recode package from Debian
>> at
>> https://packages.debian.org/sid/recode and found similar patches and
>> also a few more[1].  Only the Url http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca
>> seems to
>> be dead but on github there is a perfect replacement https://github.c
>> om/pinard/Recode/
>>
>> If you like to become a maintainer I can set you as
>> maintainer/bugowner
>> of package recode
>>

> Francois is dead. So even if you have github you need to fork it and
> develop in there.
>
> Anyway, it is 2 months now and neither nobody took over recode nor
> fortune got updated to not rely on recode. So what is the plan?
>
> Also based on OBS data there is not even maintainer of the fortune
> itself should I again proceed with the drop as people planned only just
> to complain?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Could you please point on bugs that have to be fixed? AFAI see both recode
and fortune packages seem to be fine just now.

--
Best regards,
Dmitriy Perlow