Reply to mailing lists

1234 ... 11

Reply to mailing lists

Frans de Boer
Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on opensuse.org
not automatically insert the right forum address as an reply address?

Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.

Frans.

Re: Reply to mailing lists

ne...-2
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 16:16, Frans de Boer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on opensuse.org
> not automatically insert the right forum address as an reply address?
>
> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.
No. We already know why. That is the way mailman is setup. openSUSE admins
are not going to change this behavior so it is left to us to work
around/with it. I
use gmail so to reply tot he list, I have to choose 'reply to all' and
switch the
'To:' and 'CC:' fields. Other listees can list what they have to do in
their mailers.

ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Laurence J. Peter  - "It's better to have loved and lost than to have
to do forty pounds of laundry a week."

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Randall Schulz
On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:
> Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on
> opensuse.org not automatically insert the right forum address as an
> reply address?

This is old, old, old. Just because 99% of lists do it wrong is no
reason for everyone to do it wrong.

> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.

Incorrect, you must learn how to use the available features of your
mailer. Evolution is certainly capable of handling list replies.

> Frans.

By the way, you're right about KDE 3.5 being superior to Gnome.

Randall Schulz

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Frans de Boer
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:31 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:
> > Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on
> > opensuse.org not automatically insert the right forum address as an
> > reply address?
>
> This is old, old, old. Just because 99% of lists do it wrong is no
> reason for everyone to do it wrong.
>

> > Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.
>
> Incorrect, you must learn how to use the available features of your
> mailer. Evolution is certainly capable of handling list replies.
>

> > Frans.
>

> By the way, you're right about KDE 3.5 being superior to Gnome.
>

> Randall Schulz

Ok, reply to all and remove anybodies personal address.

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Randall Schulz
On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:31 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:
> > > Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on
> > > opensuse.org not automatically insert the right forum address as
> > > an reply address?

> > > Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send
> > > something.
> >
> > Incorrect, you must learn how to use the available features of your
> > mailer. Evolution is certainly capable of handling list replies.

> Ok, reply to all and remove anybodies personal address.

If you "reply to list" (whatever it's called in Evolution) you won't
have to manually remove the other, non-list recipients.

Randall Schulz

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Randall R Schulz pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:

>>> Incorrect, you must learn how to use the available features of your
>>> mailer. Evolution is certainly capable of handling list replies.

>> Ok, reply to all and remove anybodies personal address.
>
> If you "reply to list" (whatever it's called in Evolution) you won't
> have to manually remove the other, non-list recipients.
>

> Randall Schulz

With evolution you can right click in the message body and select
reply-to-list unless that feature has been removed.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: Reply to mailing lists

N B Day-4
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 11:07 -0600, Ken Schneider wrote:

> With evolution you can right click in the message body and select
> reply-to-list unless that feature has been removed.
>
> --
> Ken Schneider
> SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Control-l == "reply to list" in Evo.  Even easier!

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Mike McMullin
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 17:37 +0100, Frans de Boer wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:31 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:
> > > Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on
> > > opensuse.org not automatically insert the right forum address as an
> > > reply address?
> >
> > This is old, old, old. Just because 99% of lists do it wrong is no
> > reason for everyone to do it wrong.
> >

> > > Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.
> >
> > Incorrect, you must learn how to use the available features of your
> > mailer. Evolution is certainly capable of handling list replies.
> >

> > > Frans.
> >

> > By the way, you're right about KDE 3.5 being superior to Gnome.
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> Ok, reply to all and remove anybodies personal address.

  In Evolution, reply to the list only using Control-L.

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Heinz Diehl
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 05:16:51PM +0100, Frans de Boer wrote:

> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.

Do it like me, add a rule like this to your .procmailrc, and you're done.

:0fh
| ${FORMAIL} -I"Reply-To: [hidden email]"

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Frans de Boer
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:48 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> On Friday January 30 2009, Frans de Boer wrote:

> > > Incorrect, you must learn how to use the available features of your
> > > mailer. Evolution is certainly capable of handling list replies.

> > Ok, reply to all and remove anybodies personal address.
>
> If you "reply to list" (whatever it's called in Evolution) you won't
> have to manually remove the other, non-list recipients.
>

> Randall Schulz

Evolution has only two options: reply and reply to all.

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Frans de Boer
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 09:43 -0800, N B Day wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 11:07 -0600, Ken Schneider wrote:
>

> > With evolution you can right click in the message body and select
> > reply-to-list unless that feature has been removed.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Schneider
> > SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998
>
> Control-l == "reply to list" in Evo.  Even easier!
>
> --
> N. B. Day
> N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up
> Aurelius up 2 days 0:26, 2 users, load average: 0.29, 0.17, 0.18
> 2.6.27.7-9-default x86_64 GNU/Linux openSUSE 11.1 (x86_64)

Yes!!, that is working correctly.

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Mike McMullin
On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 20:17 +0100, Frans de Boer wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 08:48 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > > Ok, reply to all and remove anybodies personal address.
> >
> > If you "reply to list" (whatever it's called in Evolution) you won't
> > have to manually remove the other, non-list recipients.
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> Evolution has only two options: reply and reply to all.

  Actually no, there is a third option, "Message" on the menu bar, then
select Reply to _L_ist  , short cut key --> Ctrl-L

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Kai Ponte
Frans de Boer wrote:
> Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on opensuse.org
> not automatically insert the right forum address as an reply address?
>
> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.

Unfortunately, the list is broken and the admins feel it better to leave
it in that state. Some email programs - like KMail - do a reply-to list
automatically sometimes. At other times, there is a reply-to-list
feature. I am running Thunderbird now and don't have this feature (I did
but it borked the attachments.)

--
kai

bis zum bitteren Ende

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Randall Schulz
On Sunday February 1 2009, Kai Ponte wrote:
> ... Some email programs - like KMail - do a reply-to list
> automatically sometimes. At other times, there is a
> reply-to-list feature. I am running Thunderbird now and
> don't have this feature (I did but it borked the attachments.)

But...

Why run an inferior email client when a superior one is at hand?

> --
> kai

RRS

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
Kai Ponte pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> Frans de Boer wrote:
>> Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on opensuse.org
>> not automatically insert the right forum address as an reply address?
>>
>> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.
>>

> Unfortunately, the list is broken and the admins feel it better to leave
> it in that state. Some email programs - like KMail - do a reply-to list
> automatically sometimes. At other times, there is a reply-to-list
> feature. I am running Thunderbird now and don't have this feature (I did
> but it borked the attachments.)

Edit--->Preferences
        Config Editor

Change Mailnews.clobber_list_reply to true

And use reply-to-all for a list only reply, as has been posted numerous in
the last month!

jdd@dodin.org
Kai Ponte a écrit :

> Frans de Boer wrote:
>> Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on opensuse.org
>> not automatically insert the right forum address as an reply address?
>>
>> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.
>>

> Unfortunately, the list is broken and the admins feel it better to leave
> it in that state. Some email programs - like KMail - do a reply-to list
> automatically sometimes. At other times, there is a reply-to-list
> feature. I am running Thunderbird now and don't have this feature (I did
> but it borked the attachments.)

yes you have - or can have. Thunderbird now have a plugin to do this
(don't worry, I just discovered this yesterday :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Felix Miata
On 2009/02/01 11:17 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz composed:

> Why run an inferior email client when a superior one is at hand?

Email clients are a bit like cars, of which there are many to choose from.
You pick because of some combination of features that suits you better than
the others you've looked at, availability, and/or something particularly
compelling to you that is missing from or poorer than others.

In the case of email clients, it's so easy to right click copy from the
current message's headers some email address prior to clicking the reply
button that availability of a reply-to-list function is a non-issue for me
even though I get over 600 messages/day from mailing lists most days. The
same should be the case for those few souls who insist the right function is
for replies to default to the message's composer instead of the actual sender.

Most mailing lists, as this, are discussion lists, not personal question
lists expecting personal replies to each question's author. Replies should
default to such a group as actually sent them, for further discussion as
circumstances dictate, regardless which email client is used in any
particular instance. Exceptions to the general rule are better handled for a
relative few cases rather than requiring a greater number to handle every
reply as an exception.
--
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your
mouths, but only what is helpful for building

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Jerry Houston-2
On Sunday 01 February 2009 11:57:00 Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2009/02/01 11:17 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz composed:
>
> > Why run an inferior email client when a superior one is at hand?
>
> Email clients are a bit like cars, of which there are many to choose from.
> You pick because of some combination of features that suits you better than
> the others you've looked at, availability, and/or something particularly
> compelling to you that is missing from or poorer than others.

Indeed, that's true.  However, I don't think his suggestion was meant to imply that this is the only feature that KMail handles better than Thunderbird.  I know that *I* wouldn't have changed just because of that, after years with Thunderbird.

I changed because it handles lists better, the editor works better, it handles newlines properly, it's easier to create message filters, doesn't keep telling me that it thinks a daily message from my weather service is spam after I've told it hundreds of times that it's not spam, and a number of other minor annoyances from Thunderbird were missing in KMail.

Since one doesn't need to remove another email client in order to give KMail a try, I'd recommend such a trial for anyone who's the least bit unhappy with their current client.

Be forewarned, though:  KMail versus Thunderbird just isn't a fair fight.

Re: Reply to mailing lists

Re: Re: Reply to mailing lists

Kai Ponte
jdd wrote:

> Kai Ponte a écrit :
>
>> Frans de Boer wrote:
>>
>>> Question: are you also wondering why the mailing lists on opensuse.org
>>> not automatically insert the right forum address as an reply address?
>>>
>>> Now, I must manually change the reply address when I send something.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, the list is broken and the admins feel it better to leave
>> it in that state. Some email programs - like KMail - do a reply-to list
>> automatically sometimes. At other times, there is a reply-to-list
>> feature. I am running Thunderbird now and don't have this feature (I did
>> but it borked the attachments.)
>>

> yes you have - or can have. Thunderbird now have a plugin to do this
> (don't worry, I just discovered this yesterday :-)
>
> jdd

Actually, I fixed it using another method.

However, I prefer on mailing lists - something I've been using  since
the '90s - that the default is reply to list, not to the individual.
That must be a listserver setting.

--
kai

bis zum bitteren Ende