Removing K3b but upgrading k3b?

cagsm
Hello list,

I have every now and then observed kind of similar situations, that
some package written or name ind a slightly other way is going to be
removed and then replaced by some similar or same stuff but written
differently. Are developers renaming their packages or misspelling
their stuff or is fundamental development tools or so causing
different nameing schemes or something? Thanks.

------
sudo zypper up
Reading installed packages...

The following application is going to be REMOVED:
  K3b

The following 3 packages are going to be upgraded:
  cifs-utils k3b k3b-lang

3 packages to upgrade.

--------

Re: Removing K3b but upgrading k3b?

Daniele
Il 17/12/2017 13:03, cagsm ha scritto:

> Hello list,
>
> I have every now and then observed kind of similar situations, that
> some package written or name ind a slightly other way is going to be
> removed and then replaced by some similar or same stuff but written
> differently. Are developers renaming their packages or misspelling
> their stuff or is fundamental development tools or so causing
> different nameing schemes or something? Thanks.
>
> ------
> sudo zypper up
> Reading installed packages...
>
> The following application is going to be REMOVED:
>    K3b
>
> The following 3 packages are going to be upgraded:
>    cifs-utils k3b k3b-lang
>
> 3 packages to upgrade.
>
> --------

Yes it's boring but you don't have to worry about it.
Application != Package
I've dozen of Applications removed each time I use zypper..

It's something about repo/metadata..
Someone will explain it better..

Daniele.

Re: Removing K3b but upgrading k3b?

Frank Krüger
Am 17.12.2017 um 13:13 schrieb Daniele:

> Il 17/12/2017 13:03, cagsm ha scritto:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have every now and then observed kind of similar situations, that
>> some package written or name ind a slightly other way is going to be
>> removed and then replaced by some similar or same stuff but written
>> differently. Are developers renaming their packages or misspelling
>> their stuff or is fundamental development tools or so causing
>> different nameing schemes or something? Thanks.
>>
>> ------
>> sudo zypper up
>> Reading installed packages...
>>
>> The following application is going to be REMOVED:
>>    K3b
>>
>> The following 3 packages are going to be upgraded:
>>    cifs-utils k3b k3b-lang
>>
>> 3 packages to upgrade.
>>
>> --------
>>
> Yes it's boring but you don't have to worry about it.
> Application != Package
> I've dozen of Applications removed each time I use zypper..
>
> It's something about repo/metadata..
> Someone will explain it better..
>
> Daniele.
See, e.g., https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-11/msg00193.html

Regards, Frank

Re: Removing K3b but upgrading k3b?

cagsm
So is this a real bug with the buildsystem of opensuse because those
messages are from a simple 42.3 with default repos only. Often I think
of these messages that the original creators of the distro then switch
and make up their mind from scratch in midstream during the
maintenance phase of the distribution. Always looks odd to me. Thanks
for the replies though.

Re: Removing K3b but upgrading k3b?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* cagsm <[hidden email]> [12-17-17 08:46]:
> So is this a real bug with the buildsystem of opensuse because those
> messages are from a simple 42.3 with default repos only. Often I think
> of these messages that the original creators of the distro then switch
> and make up their mind from scratch in midstream during the
> maintenance phase of the distribution. Always looks odd to me. Thanks
> for the replies though.

no, it is not a bug nor a mispelling or random.

it does look somewhat odd.

the key is:  Application != Package
the names are different, ie: K3b vs k3b
  but they are referencing the same utility, k3b.

perhaps it is really an incomplete feature ??? but it harms nothing.  you
can complete disregard the zypper announcement(s):
  "The following application is going to be REMOVED:"