Recommended Resources

Rebecca Walter
I'm starting a list in LfL now of online resources that can be useful for LfL
contributers.  Does anyone have recommendations?

The list isn't much so far and I haven't rated or edited them other than m-w.

Please send me your ideas or add them to:

http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Lfl/Resources

Re: Recommended Resources

Bugzilla from kgoggin@bigpond.com
On Friday 29 December 2006 00:19, Rebecca Walter wrote:

> I'm starting a list in LfL now of online resources that can be useful for
> LfL contributers.  Does anyone have recommendations?
>
> The list isn't much so far and I haven't rated or edited them other than
> m-w.
>
> Please send me your ideas or add them to:
>
> http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Lfl/Resources

        " Merriam Webster Online Dictionary: The closest to an authoritative online
        resource "

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_English> makes it clear (to me at
least) that there is no universally accepted form of International English.

Perhaps <http://onelook.com/> where the reader is given a choice of
dictionaries would be more acceptable.

Communicating effectively in English is difficult enough (for those of us who
speak English as our native language) without Webster.

"Lessons for Lizards" is about communicating... yes? :-)

Re: Recommended Resources

Rebecca Walter

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_English> makes it clear (to me
> at least) that there is no universally accepted form of International
> English.
>
> Perhaps <http://onelook.com/> where the reader is given a choice of
> dictionaries would be more acceptable.
>
> Communicating effectively in English is difficult enough (for those of us
> who speak English as our native language) without Webster.
>
> "Lessons for Lizards" is about communicating... yes? :-)

To maintain some consistency in style, it is necessary to select one variant
from the numerous acceptable variants of English.  We use American English
for our products and consider Webster's 15th Collegiate primarily
authoritative.

I will happily add the other resource you mentioned to the list, but I do
still consider M-W the closest to an authoritative online dictionary.

You may want to take a look at the style guide.  It is intended to help
everyone communicate more effectively and still maintain a consistent result.

Sincerely,
Rebecca