Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Stefan Tichy-2
Hi Marcus

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:02:16PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>    x86 Platform:
>    SUSE LINUX 9.3:
>    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.3/rpm/i586/MozillaFirefox-1.5.0.7-1.1.i586.rpm
>           746a56a6aa9402287d7c0f054989689c

is there some debugging enabled in this browser version?

Many messages written to stdout/stderr. There where none when using
MozillaFirefox-1.5.0.6-1.4.

--
Stefan Tichy   ( s.list at pi4tel dot de )

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Carl Hartung
On Sunday 24 September 2006 11:41, Stefan Tichy wrote:

> Hi Marcus
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:02:16PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> >    x86 Platform:
> >    SUSE LINUX 9.3:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.3/rpm/i586/MozillaFirefox-1.5.0
> >.7-1.1.i586.rpm 746a56a6aa9402287d7c0f054989689c
>
> is there some debugging enabled in this browser version?
>
> Many messages written to stdout/stderr. There where none when using
> MozillaFirefox-1.5.0.6-1.4.

I second this assessment. First launch following this update on 10.1 didn't
appear on my desktop. Had to kill it manually. Second launch from a shell
generated a profuse number of feedback sprinkled with errors...

Carl

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Marcus Meissner
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:44:44AM -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:

> On Sunday 24 September 2006 11:41, Stefan Tichy wrote:
> > Hi Marcus
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:02:16PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > >    x86 Platform:
> > >    SUSE LINUX 9.3:
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/9.3/rpm/i586/MozillaFirefox-1.5.0
> > >.7-1.1.i586.rpm 746a56a6aa9402287d7c0f054989689c
> >
> > is there some debugging enabled in this browser version?
> >
> > Many messages written to stdout/stderr. There where none when using
> > MozillaFirefox-1.5.0.6-1.4.
>
> I second this assessment. First launch following this update on 10.1 didn't
> appear on my desktop. Had to kill it manually. Second launch from a shell
> generated a profuse number of feedback sprinkled with errors...

We apparently left in debuginformation, which will be corrected with the
next security update (knowing Mozilla in around 4 - 5 weeks).

This should (must) however not harm regular functioning of the browser.

Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Mathias Homann
Am Sonntag, 24. September 2006 19:16 schrieb Marcus Meissner:

> > > is there some debugging enabled in this browser version?

> > I second this assessment. First launch following this update on
> > 10.1 didn't appear on my desktop. Had to kill it manually. Second
> > launch from a shell generated a profuse number of feedback
> > sprinkled with errors...
>
> We apparently left in debuginformation, which will be corrected
> with the next security update (knowing Mozilla in around 4 - 5
> weeks).
>
> This should (must) however not harm regular functioning of the
> browser.

does the error message "no space left on device" ring any bell for you
guys?
Why are you so intent on filling our (the users) harddisks with debug
output? There's zmd in 10.1 which easily produces a logfile of at
least 30 megabytes only by starting, and now this.

bye,
        MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD
763C

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD
763C

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

John Andersen
On Sunday 24 September 2006 09:16, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> > I second this assessment. First launch following this update on 10.1
> > didn't appear on my desktop. Had to kill it manually. Second launch from
> > a shell generated a profuse number of feedback sprinkled with errors...
>
> We apparently left in debuginformation, which will be corrected with the
> next security update (knowing Mozilla in around 4 - 5 weeks).
>
> This should (must) however not harm regular functioning of the browser.
>
> Ciao, Marcus
Why do you need 4 or 5 weeks to update YOUR error, and why
does it depend on what Mozilla does?

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Keith Roberts-4
Hi John. Well if you can't wait that long, try doing the following:

1. Uninstall the RPM version of Firefox.

2. Go to the Firefox website and download the latest
version: firefox-1.5.0.7.tar.gz

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html

Unpack the firefox-1.5.0.7.tar.gz file.

to install it firefox, just run ./firefox, in the firefox
directory tar created when you unpacked it.

If you run Firefox as the user that installed it, you can
activate Firefox's automatic update feature. This appears
under Help->Check for updates. If you are running Firefox as
another person that did not install it, eg installed by
root, and you are running as a normal user, this
'Help->Check for updates' feature will not be visible.

I prefer the automatic update feature of Firefox. This gets
the updates 'in the background' as soon as they are released
on the mozilla site. If you look under
'Edit->Preferences->Advanced-Update' you can set the
automatic updates for Firefox from there.

You can create an icon in the menu editor, and for the
command, just put,

'path/to/tar/unpacked/firefox/firefox'

Regards

Keith

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, John Andersen wrote:

> Why do you need 4 or 5 weeks to update YOUR error, and why
> does it depend on what Mozilla does?
>
> --
> _____________________________________
> John Andersen

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net
Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Keith Roberts-4
You could even install the tar.gz version alongside the rpm
version, just to make sure your'e happy with the tar.gz
version, then remove the rpm version later.

Keith

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 01:09:56PM -0800, John Andersen wrote:

> On Sunday 24 September 2006 09:16, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > > I second this assessment. First launch following this update on 10.1
> > > didn't appear on my desktop. Had to kill it manually. Second launch from
> > > a shell generated a profuse number of feedback sprinkled with errors...
> >
> > We apparently left in debuginformation, which will be corrected with the
> > next security update (knowing Mozilla in around 4 - 5 weeks).
> >
> > This should (must) however not harm regular functioning of the browser.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
>
> Why do you need 4 or 5 weeks to update YOUR error, and why
> does it depend on what Mozilla does?

Actually I see what I can do.

Ciao, Marcus

On Sunday 24 September 2006 14:28, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I prefer the automatic update feature of Firefox. This gets
> the updates 'in the background' as soon as they are released
> on the mozilla site. If you look under
> 'Edit->Preferences->Advanced-Update' you can set the
> automatic updates for Firefox from there.

Hmmmm, that has all the appeal of a camel's nose under the tent flap.

Seriously...  Lets take this to the logical extreme and have every package
perform its own upgrades.  Just how soon will it be before someone exploits
that, and "out-windows" Microsoft?

I'm not expressing any particular distrust of the firefox group, just the
idea in general.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

John Andersen schrieb:

> On Sunday 24 September 2006 14:28, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> I prefer the automatic update feature of Firefox. This gets
>> the updates 'in the background' as soon as they are released
>> on the mozilla site. If you look under
>> 'Edit->Preferences->Advanced-Update' you can set the
>> automatic updates for Firefox from there.
>
> Hmmmm, that has all the appeal of a camel's nose under the tent flap.
>
> Seriously...  Lets take this to the logical extreme and have every package
> perform its own upgrades.  Just how soon will it be before someone exploits
> that, and "out-windows" Microsoft?
>
> I'm not expressing any particular distrust of the firefox group, just the
> idea in general.

especially since this only works if you run firefox as root (or any other user with write
permissions to the installation directory).

Seems that this guy does.

bad idea.

bye,
MH

--
Die unaufgeforderte Zusendung einer Werbemail an Privatleute verstößt gegen §1 UWG und §823 I
BGB (Beschluß des LG Berlin vom 2.8.1998 Az: 16 O 201/98). Jede kommerzielle Nutzung der

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Markus Gaugusch
On Sep 25, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But... but the output text is only seen if you open Mozilla from inside
> a terminal, isn't it? I don't find that a problem: when I open Mozilla
> in such a way is because I want to see the messages. Or is it dumped to
> some file instead?

You find all those messages in ~/.xsession-errors

> I have perhaps hundreds of them, even if I try to redirect to /dev/null,
> becasue they come on the error file thing.

use &>/dev/null to redirect all channels there.

Markus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Randall Schulz
Carlos,

On Monday 25 September 2006 05:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> > > I have perhaps hundreds of them, even if I try to redirect to
> > > /dev/null, becasue they come on the error file thing.
> >
> > use &>/dev/null to redirect all channels there.
>
> I always forget that...

And keep in mind that BASH and ZSH have a different redirection syntax
than csh / tcsh. The one Markus gave is for BASH and ZSH.

Furthermore, order matters, so this:

% OutAndErrCommand >outFile 2>&1

redirects the standard output to outFile and then merges standard error
onto that stream so the standard output and standard error both go to
outFile.

On the other hand, this:

% OutAndErrCommand 2>&1 >outFile

is no different than this:

% OutAndErrCommand >outFile

because merging err onto the standard output descriptor before
redirecting standard output is redirected to a file has no effect.

> --
> Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.

Randall Schulz

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Holger Hellmuth
Marcus Meissner schrieb:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 11:44:44AM -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:
>> On Sunday 24 September 2006 11:41, Stefan Tichy wrote:
>>> Hi Marcus

>>> is there some debugging enabled in this browser version?
>
> This should (must) however not harm regular functioning of the browser.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

There is a more serious problem with the update on amd64. firefox fails while loading the
shared library libaoss.so, strace shows a bus error. One user couldn't start firefox while
others just could not start external programs like acroread.

Easy workaround is to disable the LD_PRELOAD of libaoss.so in the script /usr/bin/firefox,
but I haven't checked yet what this does to sound output.

Holger.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 07:10:55PM +0200, Holger Hellmuth wrote:

> Marcus Meissner schrieb:

> > This should (must) however not harm regular functioning of the browser.
> >
> > Ciao, Marcus
> >

> There is a more serious problem with the update on amd64. firefox fails while loading the
> shared library libaoss.so, strace shows a bus error. One user couldn't start firefox while
> others just could not start external programs like acroread.
>
> Easy workaround is to disable the LD_PRELOAD of libaoss.so in the script /usr/bin/firefox,
> but I haven't checked yet what this does to sound output.

Which distribution?

Ciao, Marcus

Marcus Meissner schrieb:
>> There is a more serious problem with the update on amd64. firefox fails while loading the
>> shared library libaoss.so, strace shows a bus error. One user couldn't start firefox while
>> others just could not start external programs like acroread.
>>
>> Easy workaround is to disable the LD_PRELOAD of libaoss.so in the script /usr/bin/firefox,
>> but I haven't checked yet what this does to sound output.
>
> Which distribution?

It seems only on 9.3 and amd64 (checked on two machines), one machine with 10.0 and x86
didn't have the problem. Couldn't check on the others because they don't have the (weekly)
update yet and I don't want to haste it ;-).

Holger.

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: Mozilla Firefox,Thunderbird, Seamonkey (SUSE-SA:2006:054)

Werner Flamme

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 07:49:44PM +0200, Holger Hellmuth wrote:

> Marcus Meissner schrieb:
> >> There is a more serious problem with the update on amd64. firefox fails while loading the
> >> shared library libaoss.so, strace shows a bus error. One user couldn't start firefox while
> >> others just could not start external programs like acroread.
> >>
> >> Easy workaround is to disable the LD_PRELOAD of libaoss.so in the script /usr/bin/firefox,
> >> but I haven't checked yet what this does to sound output.
> >
> > Which distribution?
>
> It seems only on 9.3 and amd64 (checked on two machines), one machine with 10.0 and x86
> didn't have the problem. Couldn't check on the others because they don't have the (weekly)
> update yet and I don't want to haste it ;-).

I tried 9.3-x86_64 and it worked fine on my machine :/

Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here