Re: private repositories

Chuck Davis
Is there an article explaining how to set up a repository system for a
group of users so that only one (the server) machine has to access the
standard repositories?  I've spent some time on Google but have not
found such instructions.  Thanks in advance for direction to a link.

Re: Re: private repositories

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> [10-17-11 19:55]:
> Is there an article explaining how to set up a repository system for a
> group of users so that only one (the server) machine has to access the
> standard repositories?  I've spent some time on Google but have not
> found such instructions.  Thanks in advance for direction to a link.

createrepo does that for me locally.
the only "instructions" I am aware of is the man pages.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Re: private repositories

David Haller-4
Hello,

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>* Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> [10-17-11 19:55]:
>> Is there an article explaining how to set up a repository system for a
>> group of users so that only one (the server) machine has to access the
>> standard repositories?  I've spent some time on Google but have not
>> found such instructions.  Thanks in advance for direction to a link.
>
>createrepo does that for me locally.
>the only "instructions" I am aware of is the man pages.

I've found (for my /usr/src/packages/RPM) that plain "dir" works
better. I.e.:

==== /etc/zypp/repos.d/usr-src-packages.repo ====
[usr-src-packages]
name=usr-src-packages
enabled=1
autorefresh=1
baseurl=dir:///usr/src/packages/RPMS
path=/
type=plaindir
priority=90
keeppackages=0
====

(note the keeppackages=0 which avoids file duplication)

So, if you want a server to host a repo for a local net, you could
export e.g. /var/cache/zypp/packages/<REPO> or whereever you want to
keep the packages via NFS and (on the clients) use the dir:/// url on
the mounted NFS-dir. Or use the nfs:/// baseurl for zypp, but I don't
know if you need a .repo and metadata then (which you'd have to create
and update with createrepo).

HTH,
-dnh

--
"God, root, what is difference?" - Pitr

Re: Re: private repositories

Per Jessen-2
Chuck Davis wrote:

> Is there an article explaining how to set up a repository system for a
> group of users so that only one (the server) machine has to access the
> standard repositories?  I've spent some time on Google but have not
> found such instructions.  Thanks in advance for direction to a link.

Can't provide a link, but I do this by letting squid cache all repo
access.  One of these days I'll post a howto.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.8°C)

Re: Re: private repositories

gregfreemyer
Per Jessen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Chuck Davis wrote:
>
>> Is there an article explaining how to set up a repository system for
>> group of users so that only one (the server) machine has to access
>the
>> standard repositories?  I've spent some time on Google but have not
>> found such instructions.  Thanks in advance for direction to a link.
>
>Can't provide a link, but I do this by letting squid cache all repo
>access.  One of these days I'll post a howto.

David Rankin has a howto published at his website I'm almost positive.  It might be a little old, but hopefully it would be a great start.

Hopefully he will chime in here with a link.

If so, it be a nice contribution of someone to move it to the opensuse wiki.

Greg
Adding David Rankin in cc:

Re: Re: private repositories

Re: Re: private repositories

Per Jessen-2
Greg Freemyer wrote:

> Per Jessen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Chuck Davis wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an article explaining how to set up a repository system for
>>> group of users so that only one (the server) machine has to access
>>> the standard repositories?  I've spent some time on Google but have
>>> not found such instructions.  Thanks in advance for direction to a
>>> link.
>>
>>Can't provide a link, but I do this by letting squid cache all repo
>>access.  One of these days I'll post a howto.
>>

> David Rankin has a howto published at his website I'm almost positive.

My setup works with multiple mirrors and segmented download, but maybe
Davids is sufficient.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.8°C)