Re: [opensuse-wiki] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?

Re: [opensuse-wiki] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?

Christian Boltz-5
Hello,

on Sonntag, 15. Mai 2011, pistazienfresser (see profile) wrote:

> does someone else like also to contribute to the discussion on the
> matter how a directory for software packages and metadata
> - in English in openSUSE: repository, pl.: repositories -
> should be named in the new openSUSE-Wiki for German language?
> This is referring on the term that should be used in names of
> articles (apart from redirects) and in the text (apart from
> introductions).
>
> In case you are interested it would be nice if you would visit the
> following discussion page/talk page:
> http://dewiki.opensuse.org/Diskussion:Paket_Repositories
> (until the end of Monday).

IMHO we should get this in sync with the "official" documentation, which
is the reason why I'm CC'ing the documentation mailinglist.
(I also removed some lists from CC because I'm not subscribed there.)

@Documentation team: Is there an "official" german translation for
"repository"?

BTW: My personal opinion is that "Repository" should also be used in the
german wiki. I don't really like the idea to use "Depot".

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
The speed at which a mistyped command executes is directly
proportional to the amount of damage done.      [Joe Zeff]

Re: [opensuse-wiki] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?

Martin Seidler-2
Am 15/05/11 20:48, schrieb Christian Boltz:

> Hello,
>
> on Sonntag, 15. Mai 2011, pistazienfresser (see profile) wrote:
>> does someone else like also to contribute to the discussion on the
>> matter how a directory for software packages and metadata
>> - in English in openSUSE: repository, pl.: repositories -
>> should be named in the new openSUSE-Wiki for German language?
>> This is referring on the term that should be used in names of
>> articles (apart from redirects) and in the text (apart from
>> introductions).
>>
>> In case you are interested it would be nice if you would visit the
>> following discussion page/talk page:
>> http://dewiki.opensuse.org/Diskussion:Paket_Repositories
>> (until the end of Monday).
>
> IMHO we should get this in sync with the "official" documentation, which
> is the reason why I'm CC'ing the documentation mailinglist.
> (I also removed some lists from CC because I'm not subscribed there.)
>
> @Documentation team: Is there an "official" german translation for
> "repository"?
>

> BTW: My personal opinion is that "Repository" should also be used in the
> german wiki. I don't really like the idea to use "Depot".

[...]
Thanks, Christian.

Both for the answer with your opinion and for forwarding this issue.
I think it is a good idea to inform also the documentation team and give
them the possibility to participate in the discussion (in my view most
wanted on
http://dewiki.opensuse.org/Diskussion:Paket_Repositories ).

Compare also:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: [opensuse-translation] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?
> Datum: Sun, 15 May 2011 20:12:49 +0200
> Von: pistazienfresser <[hidden email]>
> An: Martin Schlander <[hidden email]>
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> 2011/5/15 Martin Schlander <[hidden email]>:
>> Søndag den 15. maj 2011 19:13:18 skrev G G:
>>> If it can help, here in Italy we maintain the name "repository" as is. ;)
>>
>> In Danish we use the equivalent of "software source".
>>
>> And we try to keep this consistent across YaST, zypper, Synaptic, gnome-
>> packagekit, KPackageKit etc.
>> --
> The idea of an consistent use about all openSUSE subproject was what
> made me think that (cross)posting here would be an good idea.
>
> The situation in the German wiki is in short (and maybe not objective
> - as I would be for Repository, Repostorys):
> - In the old wiki were several words used with no real schema to
> see/guess for me: Softwarequellen (ca. software sources), Paketdepots,
> depots and sometimes also 'Repositories'.
> And I thought that this would confuse the reader.
> - The one-to-one equivalent to the en: repository, repositories would
> be de: Repository, Repositorys - but these words are nearly not used
> in the normal German language.
> - When the transfer of the article(s) to the 'new' wiki (structure)
> was done there was apparently problems with the correct wring of a
> more to the English words orientated translation
>  (even more that in the German versions of the openSUSE software).
> - If someone is using a foreign word out of the English language in
> German -> there is an old and now official rule the the y has to stay
> -> de: Baby, pl.: Babys and so on
> - So I asked in the German wiki what the other writers think.
>
> [...]

Regards
Martin
(pistazienfresser)

--
- openSUSE profile: https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser

Re: Re: [opensuse-wiki] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?

Andreas Röhler-2
Am 15.05.2011 21:59, schrieb pistazienfresser (see profile):

> [...]
>> see/guess for me: Softwarequellen (ca. software sources), Paketdepots,
>> depots and sometimes also 'Repositories'.
>> And I thought that this would confuse the reader.
>> - The one-to-one equivalent to the en: repository, repositories would
>> be de: Repository, Repositorys - but these words are nearly not used
>> in the normal German language.
>> - When the transfer of the article(s) to the 'new' wiki (structure)
>> was done there was apparently problems with the correct wring of a
>> more to the English words orientated translation
>>   (even more that in the German versions of the openSUSE software).
>> - If someone is using a foreign word out of the English language in
>> German ->  there is an old and now official rule the the y has to stay
>> ->  de: Baby, pl.: Babys and so on
>> - So I asked in the German wiki what the other writers think.

Moin,

der gebräuchlichste Ausdruck hierfür wäre mE "Archiv".

Grüße

Andreas

Re: Re: [opensuse-wiki] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?

Martin Seidler-2
ZU: http://dewiki.opensuse.org/Diskussion:Paket_Repositories

2011/5/16 Andreas Röhler <[hidden email]>:
[....]

> Moin,
>
> der gebräuchlichste Ausdruck hierfür wäre mE "Archiv".
>
> Grüße
>
> Andreas

Danke Andreas.

Den Teil mit der Antwort habe ich mal unter anderen an die wiki-de und
die translation-de Listen weitergeleitet.

Martin
(pistazienfresser)

- Martin Seidler
- openSUSE profile: https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser

Re: Re: [opensuse-wiki] PING (preferred term in German ?) - IS: [opensuse-wiki-de] Repository/Repositorys oder Depot/Depots oder ... : Welche Bezeichnung vorzugsweise (in Artikelnamen und meist im Text)?

Frank Sundermeyer
On Sun, 15 May 2011 20:48:34 +0200 Christian Boltz wrote:

Hi,

> Hello,
>
> on Sonntag, 15. Mai 2011, pistazienfresser (see profile) wrote:
> > does someone else like also to contribute to the discussion on the
> > matter how a directory for software packages and metadata
> > - in English in openSUSE: repository, pl.: repositories -
> > should be named in the new openSUSE-Wiki for German language?
> > This is referring on the term that should be used in names of
> > articles (apart from redirects) and in the text (apart from
> > introductions).
> >
> > In case you are interested it would be nice if you would visit the
> > following discussion page/talk page:
> > http://dewiki.opensuse.org/Diskussion:Paket_Repositories
> > (until the end of Monday).
>
> IMHO we should get this in sync with the "official" documentation,
> which is the reason why I'm CC'ing the documentation mailinglist.
> (I also removed some lists from CC because I'm not subscribed there.)
>
> @Documentation team: Is there an "official" german translation for
> "repository"?

yes, it's "Repository" or Software-Repository ;-D. And patch(es) is
"Patch(es)" whereas pattern(s) is Schema(ta). You may want to have a
look at the German manuals (opensuse-*-de-pdf (PDFs) or
opensuse-manuals_de (HTML)) for more translations. Another good source
for the "official" German terminology is YaST itself.

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF:
Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)