Re : [opensuse-ppc] Tumbleweed ppc64 big endian.

Re : [opensuse-ppc] Tumbleweed ppc64 big endian.

Fadi Osman
Hi Christian,

thanks for your reply, that's encouraging for us... and especially thanks for keeping an history of installation iso!

I am trying to install using the latest iso (Snapshot 20171219)... it's not working.
I have many errors.

I continue my tests, and try to post the list of errors.

One difference from what I had done two weeks ago, I had installed LXDE, and now I'm installing gnome first...

I'll post my findings.
I'm not sure I'll be able to do this before Christmas, so merry Christmas for all.
Fadi.

 Objet: [opensuse-ppc] Tumbleweed ppc64 big endian.
 À: "Fadi Osman" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
 Date: Jeudi 21 décembre 2017, 17h21

 Hi All,

 We are using openSUSE PowerPC on our
 AmigaOnes.

 Links:

 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3446
 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3810
 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3013
 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2404
 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1996
 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=3784
 - http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1985

 Downloads:
 http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de/amiga/kernel_distros_opensuse.html

 Further Linux-PPC screenshots:

 https://plus.google.com/u/0/115515624056477014971

 Many thanks for openSUSE
 PowerPC! :-)

 Cheers,
 Christian

 On 21
 December 2017 at 3:19PM, Fadi Osman wrote:
 > Hello guys,
 >
 > I'm representing a group of people
 interested in keeping a ppc64 big endian linux distribution
 alive:
 > https://www.powerprogress.org/
 > https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/
 >
 > No, we're not
 crazy, we're serious!

 > There are about a dozen of us in the
 software group (from almost everywhere in the world) ready
 to help in testing, debugging etc... We're beginners,
 but we're willing to learn (and we have a bunch of G5
 iMacs and PowerMacs)!

 > After meeting some OpenSUSE people in
 France (Alionet), I decided on trying out Tumbleweed ppc64
 (be).

 > So I have
 installed it last week on an iMac G5, and ... it is great!
 Really! Thanks a lot for your efforts in keeping it alive
 and well!

 > I got
 some driver issues during installation using the net iso - I
 had to download the full iso :-(, but besides one or two
 things, installation was fine.

 (I'll do the installation again and take note of the
 errors I got).

 I'm beginning to look at OBS and factory and studio -
 but I'm really just beginning.

 (I'm not sure if susestudio works for ppc64...)

 > My first
 "mission" is to use OBS to build a libreoffice
 package (I couldn't find the ppc64 binaries in any
 repository).

 Thanks again for all your work, and I hope the powerpc
 mailing list will get more activity :-)

 > Bye,
 > Fadi OSMAN.

Re: Tumbleweed ppc64 big endian.

Michal Suchánek
Hello,

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 10:15:47 +0000 (UTC)
Fadi Osman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> thanks for your reply, that's encouraging for us... and especially
> thanks for keeping an history of installation iso!
>
> I am trying to install using the latest iso (Snapshot 20171219)...
> it's not working. I have many errors.
>
> I continue my tests, and try to post the list of errors.

As you might have noticed the ppc64 bigendian port is not released as
part of the more stable Leap releases but is only part of the
Tumbleweed rolling release.

This is because we do not have enough people testing and fixing the
ppc64 port which shows many issues unique to bigendian machines.
Consequently the ppc64 port is not release quality because many
packages will fail to build or will build but not work correctly.

With more users contributing this might change eventually.

Thanks

Michal

Re: Tumbleweed ppc64 big endian.

Fadi Osman
Hi Michal,

It would be phenomenal to get LEAP for ppc64 be!

Note that once installed, quality is here. (Almost everything works very nice - I have problems with wireless, something linked to dhcp lease with my router...)

installation is more hectic though...

In fact, I have realized I was really lucky when I did my first installation...
In the "User Interface" installation phase, If we select either "Server (text mode)" or "Desktop with GNOME)", installation fails (I haven't tested "Desktop with KDE PLASMA").

It looks like packages to install are not selected correctly.

BUT, if we select "Custom" then select the software to install (LXDE or GNOME etc...) installation is done almost correctly.
In fact, for some reason, the kernel is not installed. I think this is linked to the errors concerning the missing prep partition (for ppc64 little endian?).
Anyway, I get by by installing kernel-default using chroot.

This behavior was also present in the September ISO.

I boot using yaboot, and not grub. I have an installation with macos, debian, and now two Tumbleweeds :-)

To sum up, LXDE IS VERY NICE with my iMac G5 1GB Ram, but GNOME takes forever to start, and is red (literally).
I will test KDE when I can!

I will try to encourage more people to install and test Tumbleweed on ppc64 be - by writing a simplified installation procedure on the wiki.

I hope this will help!
Fadi.

En date de : Ven 22.12.17, Michal Suchánek <[hidden email]> a écrit :

 Objet: Re: [opensuse-ppc] Tumbleweed ppc64 big endian.
 À: "Fadi Osman" <[hidden email]>
 Cc: [hidden email], "Christian Zigotzky" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Vendredi 22 décembre 2017, 11h43