Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Changing GNOME/GTK Python package devel projects to GNOME:Factory

Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Changing GNOME/GTK Python package devel projects to GNOME:Factory

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 15:25 -0400, Todd Rme wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM, jan matejek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > On 14.8.2017 16:05, Todd Rme wrote:
> > > Most GNOME and GTK-related Python packages have GNOME:Factory as
> > > their
> > > devel project.  There are a few, however, that still have
> > > devel:languages:python as their devel project:
> > >
> > > python-gnome
> > > python-gnome-extras (recently removed from openSUSE:Factory)
> >
> > I'm halfway through dropping python-gnome from Factory too ;)
> > It only relates to GNOME 2 and current packages should be using GI-
> > based bindings.
> >
> > Same is true for python-gtk, but GTK2 is at least actively kept
> > alive in Factory and many packages
> > still depend on it. The list is negligible for python-gnome.
> >
> > Of course, if GNOME:Factory wants the package, they can have it,
> > otherwise I'll probably drop it
> > from d:l:py as well.
> >
> > regards
> > m.
> >

> We can't drop it from d:l:py because GNOME:Factory has d:l:py listed
> as the devel project for their version. This will block us from
> deleting it.
You first need to remove them from oS:F anyway - those are also set to
be developed in d:l:p;

the packages in G:F no longer reference d:l:p now.

cheers,
Dominique

Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Changing GNOME/GTK Python package devel projects to GNOME:Factory

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
<[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 15:25 -0400, Todd Rme wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM, jan matejek <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > hello,

Hi,

Why python-gnome-extras was removed from Factory? I had a package that
uses it for spell check (virtaal)

Regards,

Luiz

On Thu, 2017-08-24 at 15:22 -0300, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:

> <[hidden email]>:
> > On Mon, 2017-08-14 at 15:25 -0400, Todd Rme wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why python-gnome-extras was removed from Factory? I had a package
> that
> uses it for spell check (virtaal)

virtaal claims those dependencies:

BuildRequires:  desktop-file-utils
BuildRequires:  fdupes
BuildRequires:  gettext-runtime
BuildRequires:  hicolor-icon-theme
BuildRequires:  libglade2
BuildRequires:  python-curl
BuildRequires:  python-devel
BuildRequires:  python-gtk
BuildRequires:  translate-toolkit
BuildRequires:  update-desktop-files

Requires:       %{name}-lang = %{version}
Requires:       python-gobject2
Requires:               python-gtk
Requires:       python-lxml
Requires:       translate-toolkit
#the optional ones (for full experience)
Requires:       gtkspell
Requires:       python-curl
Requires:       python-Levenshtein
Requires:       python-psycopg2
Requires:       python-simplejson
Requires:       xdg-utils

Nothing of that is/was provided by python-gnome-extras - any package,
before it's being deleted from Factory, is checked if it has reverse
dependencies: if there are none (as was identified for python-gnome-
extras) a delete request can proceed. Of course, if packagers don't
specify their deps, this will break (as will the package on users
machines if the deps are not properly specified) - and is a bug.

If you want to resurrect such obsolete code, be prepared to maintain
it. The original maintainers will certainly not have an interest in it
anymore (or they would not have filed delete requests to start with).

Cheers,
Dominique

<[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, 2017-08-24 at 15:22 -0300, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
>> <[hidden email]>:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Why python-gnome-extras was removed from Factory? I had a package
>> that
>> uses it for spell check (virtaal)
>>

> virtaal claims those dependencies:
>
> BuildRequires:  desktop-file-utils
> BuildRequires:  fdupes
> BuildRequires:  gettext-runtime
> BuildRequires:  hicolor-icon-theme
> BuildRequires:  libglade2
> BuildRequires:  python-curl
> BuildRequires:  python-devel
> BuildRequires:  python-gtk
> BuildRequires:  translate-toolkit
> BuildRequires:  update-desktop-files
>
> Requires:       %{name}-lang = %{version}
> Requires:       python-gobject2
> Requires:               python-gtk
> Requires:       python-lxml
> Requires:       translate-toolkit
> #the optional ones (for full experience)
> Requires:       gtkspell
> Requires:       python-curl
> Requires:       python-Levenshtein
> Requires:       python-psycopg2
> Requires:       python-simplejson
> Requires:       xdg-utils
>
> Nothing of that is/was provided by python-gnome-extras - any package,
> before it's being deleted from Factory, is checked if it has reverse
> dependencies: if there are none (as was identified for python-gnome-
> extras) a delete request can proceed. Of course, if packagers don't
> specify their deps, this will break (as will the package on users
> machines if the deps are not properly specified) - and is a bug.
>
> If you want to resurrect such obsolete code, be prepared to maintain
> it. The original maintainers will certainly not have an interest in it
> anymore (or they would not have filed delete requests to start with).
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

Hi,

It doesn't claim anymore because I drop this requirement 2 days ago:

after the repo-checker told me nothing provides python-gnome-extras 7 days ago:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/M17N/virtaal

I don't want to maintain it, I was just curious about why its dropped
as it was a requirements for another package. The answer could be: its
unmantained, its a dead code, doesn't compile anymore, noone cares,
etc

Regards,

Luiz