Re: [opensuse-factory] snapshot 20190909: Change in kmail mail list keyboard navigation behavior

Re: [opensuse-factory] snapshot 20190909: Change in kmail mail list keyboard navigation behavior

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
[Sorry for cross post]

Hi,

after the usual upgrade and reboot today, I noticed a significant kmail list
keyboard navigation behavioral change: usually, one could navigate through the
list of mails with cursor keys (given, the list has focus, of course).
Collapsed groups could be opened with cursor right, and cursor left on the top
level entry could close open groups. Now, cursor left and right step through
the displayed mails, but don't open/collapse mail threads anymore. Up and down
always scrolls the mail body (if no fully displayed).

Also, I'm pretty sure, that keyboard navigation was possible in the mailbox
hierarchy display. Now keyboard navigation ignores the focused item
completely.

Is that to be expected? If, yes, what's the rationale? Keyboard navigation of
Qt5 lists is a pretty established usability pattern, that should be kept in
all cases (principle of least astonishment)...

Last, but not least, the changelog seems not to mention such a change.

> ==== kmail ====
> Version update (19.08.0 -> 19.08.1)
> Subpackages: kmail-application-icons kmail-lang ktnef
>
> - Update to 19.08.1
>
>   * New bugfix release
>   * For more details please see:
>   * https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-19.08.1.php
>
> - Changes since 19.08.0:
>   * Fix Bug 409662 - Missing "Save Attachments..." from Multiple Emails
>   (kde#409662) * Fix using correct parent widget.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Pete

Re: [opensuse-factory] snapshot 20190909: Change in kmail mail list keyboard navigation behavior

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Freitag, 13. September 2019, 20:14:07 schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:
> > ==== kmail ====
> > Version update (19.08.0 -> 19.08.1)

The message list is provided by "messagelib" I think, but I don't see a
relevant change there either.
So it's probably caused by the Qt update to 5.13.1...

However, I just tried in kmail 4.14 (Qt4 based), and the behavior is the same.
Cursor right does *not* expand groups.
If it was different in previous 5.x versions, it might have been by mistake I
suppose (i.e. a bug that has been fixed).

There are specific keyboard shortcuts for expanding/collapsing groups though:

Btw, navigation using the cursor keys in the mailbox hierarchy is not possible
in 4.14 either... But Ctrl+Cursor keys works (haven't tested in 5.x yet).

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang