Re: openSUSE web site for low end network

Re: openSUSE web site for low end network

Frank Sundermeyer
On Friday 04 August 2006 00:54, houghi wrote:

Hi,

> Now this all does not mean that there can not be any speed
> improvement: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
>
> A nice page that shows how fast things download and also pinpoints
> the main problem to the css files that are way too large compared to
> the rest.

this is due to the fact that we want to be compatbile to the MediaWiki
styles. At the moment we are loading the original Monobook styles and
overwrite parts of them afterwards with customized styles.
In regards of performance this is probably the worst thing we could do,
but this is the only way that allows us to

- benefit from MediaWiki's adjustments for different browsers
- and be able to update to new MediaWiki versions without having
  to rewrite major parts of the template and the css

The only alternative would be to use custom styles and scripts only.
Unfortunately I do not have enough time to do that (in one of my other
lives I am a member of the documentation team that writes SUSE Linux
manuals and 10.2 is already on the doorstep ;-)).

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.novell.com/

Re: openSUSE web site for low end network

houghi
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:56:09PM +0200, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
> this is due to the fact that we want to be compatbile to the MediaWiki
> styles. At the moment we are loading the original Monobook styles and
> overwrite parts of them afterwards with customized styles.
> In regards of performance this is probably the worst thing we could do,
> but this is the only way that allows us to
>
> - benefit from MediaWiki's adjustments for different browsers
> - and be able to update to new MediaWiki versions without having
>   to rewrite major parts of the template and the css

Would it not be possible to remove those things that you overwrite? Also
the site gives some tips. Reduce spaces. You could also remove the
comments and carrier returs and such. With the same output, you could
still have smaller files.

> The only alternative would be to use custom styles and scripts only.
> Unfortunately I do not have enough time to do that (in one of my other
> lives I am a member of the documentation team that writes SUSE Linux
> manuals and 10.2 is already on the doorstep ;-)).

I have the ideal solution for you to speed up the writing of the manuals:
http://www.lipsum.com/ I am sure almost nobody will notice the difference.
;-)

--
for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 fuck $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

On Monday 07 August 2006 13:15, houghi wrote:

Hi,

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 12:56:09PM +0200, Frank Sundermeyer wrote:
> > this is due to the fact that we want to be compatbile to the
> > MediaWiki styles. At the moment we are loading the original
> > Monobook styles and overwrite parts of them afterwards with
> > customized styles. In regards of performance this is probably the
> > worst thing we could do, but this is the only way that allows us to
> >
> > - benefit from MediaWiki's adjustments for different browsers
> > - and be able to update to new MediaWiki versions without having
> >   to rewrite major parts of the template and the css
>
> Would it not be possible to remove those things that you overwrite?

no - I would have to do this every time MediaWiki is updated.

> Also the site gives some tips. Reduce spaces. You could also remove
> the comments and carrier returs and such.

... making it almost impossible to edit the file afterwards... ;)

Anyway - I am not if the css files really affect performance
significantly. After all they only get loaded _once_ and are served
from the local browser cache afterwards.