Re: new at wireless configuration... but keep trying!

Re: new at wireless configuration... but keep trying!

Ricardo Rodríguez - XEN
>>> Ken Schneider<[hidden email]> 13/6/2006 14:54 >>>
>
>I use ifplugd on the eth0 connection and   on hotplug   on wlan0. Using
>this setup I can unplug eth0 which causes the eth0 connection to shut
>down and then plug in the PCMCIA card which brings up wlan0, both using
>DHCP which retrieves an address and sets up the correct default route.
>Check to make sure you have the proper info set if you are using
>encryption on the wireless card (this can also be set using YaST with
>the wireless card).
>
>--
>Ken Schneider
>UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998

Well, Ken and friends, it seems that after some three months playing around with this issue, this Texas Instruments ACX 111 based 54Mbps wireless card (Linksys WPC54g ver.2). Thanks all for your help.

I don't know what it works now, but it could be that some update done during the last weeks did the trick. The point is that it is now up and running on a SLED 10 box.

But there are still some behaviours I am not able to understand/control. For instance, I do need to restart the box to have the card running if I unplug it during normal function. Plug it again doesn't get it working back. Even more, the only way of shutting down the computer after unplugging-plugging the card is by forcing it by pressing the power button.

One thing is shocking me is that both eth0 and wlan0 are up even though the box is not wired.

citlali:~ # ifstatus wlan0
Network interface is managed from NetworkManager
wlan0 is up
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:12:17:df:d9:24 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.37/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global wlan0
    inet6 fe80::212:17ff:fedf:d924/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    wlan0     IP address: 192.168.1.37/24
192.168.1.0/24  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.37
default via 192.168.1.100
citlali:~ # ifstatus eth0
Network interface is managed from NetworkManager
eth0 is up
2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:02:3f:79:60:bc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Ken, do you say in your last message that you are using hotplug on wlan0. Please, how could I do the same? I mean, how do I know if I am using hotplug and, it not, how could I enable this option? Could it be the key of the problem? Thanks!

All the best,

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
XEN, Resources Management