Re: live tumbleweed

Chuck Davis
I am thinking I would like to test a new laptop for hardware
compatibility with Leap before blowing away Microsoft and installing.
But there have been well over 1,000 updates since the image was
issued.  Is there any way to create a live thumb drive with the
current state of TW with all updates applied?  I looked in the build
service but didn't see anything that fit this description.

Thanks.

sdm

Re: live tumbleweed

sdm
On 02/05/2016 08:49 AM, Chuck Davis wrote:
> I am thinking I would like to test a new laptop for hardware
> compatibility with Leap before blowing away Microsoft and installing.
> But there have been well over 1,000 updates since the image was
> issued.  Is there any way to create a live thumb drive with the
> current state of TW with all updates applied?  I looked in the build
> service but didn't see anything that fit this description.
>
> Thanks.
You can download the latest snapshot here:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation

If you are talking about taking an image already on a machine and
transfering that over to a USB key, I don't think that's possible.
(without driving cloning)

sdm

sdm

Re: live tumbleweed

sdm
On 02/05/2016 10:02 AM, Chuck Davis wrote:

> So those images are constantly being updated?  If you are in a
> position to have input, it would be nice if they are updated on a
> regular basis to include a date it was done.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> CD
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 8:52 AM, SDM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 02/05/2016 08:49 AM, Chuck Davis wrote:
>>> I am thinking I would like to test a new laptop for hardware
>>> compatibility with Leap before blowing away Microsoft and installing.
>>> But there have been well over 1,000 updates since the image was
>>> issued.  Is there any way to create a live thumb drive with the
>>> current state of TW with all updates applied?  I looked in the build
>>> service but didn't see anything that fit this description.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>> You can download the latest snapshot here:
>>
>> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation
>>
>> If you are talking about taking an image already on a machine and
>> transfering that over to a USB key, I don't think that's possible.
>>
>> sdm
If you click here:
http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Current.iso
and then cancel out of the download, you can see the date of the
snapshot. You can also click here:
http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/ and you'll see the dates of
the snapshots in the list of files. And those snapshots are updated
regularly, sometimes 1-3 times per week depending on the workload of
openSUSE contributors. It's recommended to keep a backup TW snapshot on
a USB key (the prior version or known working version) in case something
breaks when you update with zypper to the latest snapshot.

Re: live tumbleweed

Chuck Davis
Thanks so much for the information!  This should go public!  :)

On 2016-02-05 17:49, Chuck Davis wrote:
> I am thinking I would like to test a new laptop for hardware
> compatibility with Leap before blowing away Microsoft and installing.

Leap, or Tumbleweed? Not the same thing at all.
There are no official live media for Leap.

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)