Re: kmail

Chuck Davis
I'm using TW from two or three days ago.

I right clicked on an email and chose "edit" from the context menu and
kmail blew up!  Now it won't even start (or Kontact either).  When I
try to start it I just get a notice that it closed unexpectedly and to
report the bug (which itself doesn't work).

Anybody know where the information is located that keeps Kontact/Kmail
from starting?

Thanks.

Re: kmail

jdd@dodin.org
Le 29/10/2017 à 18:00, Chuck Davis a écrit :

> I'm using TW from two or three days ago.
>
> I right clicked on an email and chose "edit" from the context menu and
> kmail blew up!  Now it won't even start (or Kontact either).  When I
> try to start it I just get a notice that it closed unexpectedly and to
> report the bug (which itself doesn't work).
>
> Anybody know where the information is located that keeps Kontact/Kmail
> from starting?
>
> Thanks.

hello,

I guess you are new to linux, no problem, but your text is not very
understandable, let's try

* "I right clicked on an email" to right clic on an email, you have to
use some software. I guess you use a webmail with Firefox, right? or try
to email a photo or a text from the image or text processor?

* did you look on an other desktop to see if your program (kmail,
kontact) is not waiting there? How do you try to start it?

jdd

--
http://dodin.org

Re: kmail

Chuck Davis
First, my apologies if the original message got to the list 3 times.
Gmail is showing it 3 times because it took me a while to remember to
kill html in gmail.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation where data will be limited so I
don't want to use gmail.  I am trying kmail (forwarding gmail IMAP) to
see if it will work while I'm gone.

I was reading mail in kmail and was looking for a simple way to
display it in html since I had a mail from a reliable source that has
pictures attached.  In the process I right clicked the email hoping to
find a menu item (on the context menu) that would display the email in
html so I could see the pictures attached.  I clicked "edit" (on the
context menu -- out of curiosity to see what it would "edit")  and
kmail blew up (i.e. terminated itself, Kontact, Konversation, etc.)
and now none of them will start when I click their icons.  I just get
the notification that it closed unexpectedly and to file a bug report
(but that itself fails to install the packages required to produce
useful information).

There is obviously something set somewhere that tells Kontact/Kmail
not to start.  I would like to delete that and see what happens.

I was running 20171026 at the time.  I updated to 20171027 this a.m.
but the problem persists.  I have searched my home directory for any
file that might have the information to prevent Kontact from starting
but to no avail so far.

Hope this is a better description of my angst.

> hello,
>
> I guess you are new to linux, no problem, but your text is not very
> understandable, let's try
>
> * "I right clicked on an email" to right clic on an email, you have to use
> some software. I guess you use a webmail with Firefox, right? or try to
> email a photo or a text from the image or text processor?
>
> * did you look on an other desktop to see if your program (kmail, kontact)
> is not waiting there? How do you try to start it?
>
> jdd
>
> --
> http://dodin.org

Re: kmail

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> [10-29-17 15:17]:

> First, my apologies if the original message got to the list 3 times.
> Gmail is showing it 3 times because it took me a while to remember to
> kill html in gmail.
>
> I'm getting ready to go on vacation where data will be limited so I
> don't want to use gmail.  I am trying kmail (forwarding gmail IMAP) to
> see if it will work while I'm gone.
>
> I was reading mail in kmail and was looking for a simple way to
> display it in html since I had a mail from a reliable source that has
> pictures attached.  In the process I right clicked the email hoping to
> find a menu item (on the context menu) that would display the email in
> html so I could see the pictures attached.  I clicked "edit" (on the
> context menu -- out of curiosity to see what it would "edit")  and
> kmail blew up (i.e. terminated itself, Kontact, Konversation, etc.)
> and now none of them will start when I click their icons.  I just get
> the notification that it closed unexpectedly and to file a bug report
> (but that itself fails to install the packages required to produce
> useful information).
>
> There is obviously something set somewhere that tells Kontact/Kmail
> not to start.  I would like to delete that and see what happens.
>
> I was running 20171026 at the time.  I updated to 20171027 this a.m.
> but the problem persists.  I have searched my home directory for any
> file that might have the information to prevent Kontact from starting
> but to no avail so far.
>
> Hope this is a better description of my angst.
>

> > hello,
> >
> > I guess you are new to linux, no problem, but your text is not very
> > understandable, let's try
> >
> > * "I right clicked on an email" to right clic on an email, you have to use
> > some software. I guess you use a webmail with Firefox, right? or try to
> > email a photo or a text from the image or text processor?
> >
> > * did you look on an other desktop to see if your program (kmail, kontact)
> > is not waiting there? How do you try to start it?
> >
> > jdd
> >
> > --
> > http://dodin.org
> >
> > --

you might try:   akonadictl restart

Re: kmail

jdd@dodin.org
Le 29/10/2017 à 20:16, Chuck Davis a écrit :
> First, my apologies if the original message got to the list 3 times.

I got it only once :-)

> I'm getting ready to go on vacation where data will be limited so I
> don't want to use gmail.  I am trying kmail (forwarding gmail IMAP) to
> see if it will work while I'm gone.

it should :-)

> I was reading mail in kmail and was looking for a simple way to
> display it in html since I had a mail from a reliable source that has
> pictures attached.

txt mode do not prevent uploading pictures, at most not display it online

> There is obviously something set somewhere that tells Kontact/Kmail
> not to start.  I would like to delete that and see what happens.

two things.

* it is often useful to start the app in a terminal to see what is
displayed as error messages. Open system/konsole, type kmail and enter
and report here what you see

* the config seems to be in ~/.config/akonadi, you can rename the folder
and launch again kmail

jdd

--
http://dodin.org

Re: kmail

Chuck Davis
Thanks for the info Patrick.  Actually, I got it started quite by accident.

I went to: /home/chuck/.local/share/kmail2/autosave/.  I found about
20 copies of the subject email.  I deleted them all and then Kontact
(and all related apps) decided to run.

I'm a happy camper again.  Keeping your suggestion for future possible
"events".....

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> [10-29-17 15:17]:
>> First, my apologies if the original message got to the list 3 times.
>> Gmail is showing it 3 times because it took me a while to remember to
>> kill html in gmail.
>>
>> I'm getting ready to go on vacation where data will be limited so I
>> don't want to use gmail.  I am trying kmail (forwarding gmail IMAP) to
>> see if it will work while I'm gone.
>>
>> I was reading mail in kmail and was looking for a simple way to
>> display it in html since I had a mail from a reliable source that has
>> pictures attached.  In the process I right clicked the email hoping to
>> find a menu item (on the context menu) that would display the email in
>> html so I could see the pictures attached.  I clicked "edit" (on the
>> context menu -- out of curiosity to see what it would "edit")  and
>> kmail blew up (i.e. terminated itself, Kontact, Konversation, etc.)
>> and now none of them will start when I click their icons.  I just get
>> the notification that it closed unexpectedly and to file a bug report
>> (but that itself fails to install the packages required to produce
>> useful information).
>>
>> There is obviously something set somewhere that tells Kontact/Kmail
>> not to start.  I would like to delete that and see what happens.
>>
>> I was running 20171026 at the time.  I updated to 20171027 this a.m.
>> but the problem persists.  I have searched my home directory for any
>> file that might have the information to prevent Kontact from starting
>> but to no avail so far.
>>
>> Hope this is a better description of my angst.
>>

>> > hello,
>> >
>> > I guess you are new to linux, no problem, but your text is not very
>> > understandable, let's try
>> >
>> > * "I right clicked on an email" to right clic on an email, you have to use
>> > some software. I guess you use a webmail with Firefox, right? or try to
>> > email a photo or a text from the image or text processor?
>> >
>> > * did you look on an other desktop to see if your program (kmail, kontact)
>> > is not waiting there? How do you try to start it?
>> >
>> > jdd
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://dodin.org
>> >
>> > --
>> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

> you might try:   akonadictl restart
>
> --
> (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
> http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
> Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
> Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode

Re: kmail

Anton Aylward-2
On 29/10/17 03:16 PM, Chuck Davis wrote:
> I was reading mail in kmail and was looking for a simple way to
> display it in html since I had a mail from a reliable source that has
> pictures attached.

Rather than battle with KMail, why not use Thunderbird.

I'd also not that you don't need HTML to view attachments.
Just save them (I save them in /tmp when I need to) and use one of the many
image viewers.

OBTW: Gmail can be accessed with IMAP directly:
use port 993 at imap.gmail.com with TLS and OAuth2

--
         A: Yes.
     >   Q: Are you sure?
     >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
     >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: kmail

ianseeks-4
On Sunday, 29 October 2017 19:16:20 GMT Chuck Davis wrote:

> First, my apologies if the original message got to the list 3 times.
> Gmail is showing it 3 times because it took me a while to remember to
> kill html in gmail.
>
> I'm getting ready to go on vacation where data will be limited so I
> don't want to use gmail.  I am trying kmail (forwarding gmail IMAP) to
> see if it will work while I'm gone.
>
> I was reading mail in kmail and was looking for a simple way to
> display it in html since I had a mail from a reliable source that has
> pictures attached.  In the process I right clicked the email hoping to

There should be clickable links (with warnings) in the email itself to allow you to display the HTML content

> find a menu item (on the context menu) that would display the email in
> html so I could see the pictures attached.  I clicked "edit" (on the
> context menu -- out of curiosity to see what it would "edit")  and
> kmail blew up (i.e. terminated itself, Kontact, Konversation, etc.)
> and now none of them will start when I click their icons.  I just get
> the notification that it closed unexpectedly and to file a bug report
> (but that itself fails to install the packages required to produce
> useful information).
>
> There is obviously something set somewhere that tells Kontact/Kmail
> not to start.  I would like to delete that and see what happens.
>
> I was running 20171026 at the time.  I updated to 20171027 this a.m.
> but the problem persists.  I have searched my home directory for any
> file that might have the information to prevent Kontact from starting
> but to no avail so far.
>
> Hope this is a better description of my angst.
>

> > hello,
> >
> > I guess you are new to linux, no problem, but your text is not very
> > understandable, let's try
> >
> > * "I right clicked on an email" to right clic on an email, you have to use
> > some software. I guess you use a webmail with Firefox, right? or try to
> > email a photo or a text from the image or text processor?
> >
> > * did you look on an other desktop to see if your program (kmail, kontact)
> > is not waiting there? How do you try to start it?
> >
> > jdd
> >
> > --
> > http://dodin.org
> >
> > --
> > To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20171027
Qt: 5.9.2

Re: kmail

Chuck Davis
Thank you everyone for your interest in my problem.  I'm back on line
with KMail for the present.

Re: kmail