Re: Xen on 11.3

Chuck Davis
I'm entirely new to virtualization.  Xen install on 11.3 does not
appear to work.  I bought a couple of books but haven't figured out
what to do yet since openSuse does not appear to do a complete
install.

I want to run 11.3 and windows 7 on the same machine (windows is
required at work).  In the "Book of Xen" the author installs CentOS,
then Xen, then a virtualized version of CentOS.  Does one need to
install the Xen host (in this case openSuse 11.3) again as a virtual
machine?  If so, why does openSuse not have the defaults required to
do so?  It selects one of the defined repositories but the install
will not happen because defaults are incorrect.  Is there a way to
successfully install openSuse on itself again?

When I try to install windows it gets nearly finished then craps out
because it can't find a virtual interface.  It appears when I install
Xen that the bridge is created but obviously windows can't find it and
neither can I access the network from host openSuse anymore; get an
error "Network unreachable".

Is it possible to get this combination to work?  I'd like to have both
environments running on my desktop.

Thanks for any assistance or a pointer to a document explaining how to do it.

Re: Re: Xen on 11.3

Robert Schweikert-4

On 08/03/2010 12:20 PM, Chuck Davis wrote:
> I'm entirely new to virtualization.  Xen install on 11.3 does not
> appear to work.  I bought a couple of books but haven't figured out
> what to do yet since openSuse does not appear to do a complete
> install.
>
> I want to run 11.3 and windows 7 on the same machine (windows is
> required at work).

This should work with Xen. However, you might find using VirtualBox a
bit easier.

> In the "Book of Xen" the author installs CentOS,
> then Xen, then a virtualized version of CentOS.  Does one need to
> install the Xen host (in this case openSuse 11.3) again as a virtual
> machine?  If so, why does openSuse not have the defaults required to
> do so?  It selects one of the defined repositories but the install
> will not happen because defaults are incorrect.  Is there a way to
> successfully install openSuse on itself again?

There certainly is. First you will need to have a host, aka dom0. So on
your machine you want to fist complete a regular install of openSUSE
11.3. Once this is complete in the software manager install the
kernel-xen package. Alternatively in YaST you can simply select "Install
Hypervisor an Tools". This will install everything you need.

When everything is installed you will need to reboot the machine and
select the Xen kernel in the grub menu. Now you have your hypervisor, or
dom0 running.

With virtmanager you can now create virtual machines and pretty  much
install most OSs.

> When I try to install windows it gets nearly finished then craps out
> because it can't find a virtual interface.  It appears when I install
> Xen that the bridge is created but obviously windows can't find it and
> neither can I access the network from host openSuse anymore; get an
> error "Network unreachable".

This is most likely due to the fact that no virtual network device is
configured in the VM.

> Is it possible to get this combination to work?  I'd like to have both
> environments running on my desktop.
>
> Thanks for any assistance or a pointer to a document explaining how to do it.

The xen-doc-{html,pdf} package should have the information you need to
know to get things working, including networking etc.

This may also be helpful:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/vmserver/

HTH,
Robert
--
Robert Schweikert                           MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX

Novell
Making IT Work As One

Re: Re: Xen on 11.3

Robert Schweikert-4
Hi Chuck,

Please keep the discussion on the list, that way other might be able to
help as well.

On 08/03/2010 05:17 PM, Chuck Davis wrote:
> Thanks Robert.  Let's take it a step at a time and I don't care if it
> takes a month (well I do but I don't -- I need to learn this
> technology).  I don't want to user VirtualBox because I read an
> article recently that it is a dead-end product.  So I'm learning Xen
> if I can or KVM (if Xen doesn't work).

I use KVM, thus I can only help on a limited basis with Xen.

> 1)  Do I need to install another instance of openSuse into a domU
> after dom0 is running on a regular install booted into Xen kernel?

Yes, dom0 is the hypervisor. The nice thing about installing openSUSE
and then adding Xen is that the hypervisor (dom0) is also fully
functional as basically all parts of the distro are installed.

Each virtual machine (domU) needs an install of an OS.

> 2)  Once Xen is installed how do I create a vif?  I tried in the
> virtual machine manger but I get a message that the virtual manager
> does not support defining storage and interfaces.  If the manager does
> not yet work but the interface must be defined I can find the command
> in "Book of Xen".

I do not know the command or the setup, you will need to consult the
documentation, or maybe someone else on the list can jump in here.

> If 1) is "Yes" how can I use 11.3 dvd to install?  I've tried about 6
> times (defining installation source as dvd) but always fails because
> it cannot access something or cannot find a kernel.

The cannot find the kernel problem may be a bug. There was I believe an
order change somewhere that might cause this. Hopefully someone else on
the list has more information or has tested this in some way and can
respond here.

Just to test things out you can go to susestudio.com and set up a Xen
domU image with openSUSE 11.2 (openSUSE 11.3 is not yet available).
Download the image and fire it up. This should give you an idea how
everything is supposed to work together.

> My preference is
> to use a physical protocol to a partition on the hard drive where
> "disk" is defined.
>
> So far everything I've tried has failed.
>
> My experimental hardware:  AMD Phenom 4x, Asus Crosshair MB, 300 gig
> SATA hd, 8G memory.  OpenSuse runs like a bandit.  Even windows 7
> installed separately runs well.  The MB has a Marvell NIC.  Installing
> Xen appears to build the bridge successfully but networking no longer
> works from openSuse host

Some investigation using YaST should help you to get this fixed. The
bridge needs to be configured to bind to a certain network interface,
eth0 or other. NetworkManager needs to be off as it doesn't deal with
bridges. Then configure the bridge with your network settings.

HTH,
Robert