Re: SMART have broken my system

BandiPat
On Friday 04 August 2006 14:19, GunnarH wrote:

> I have installed Opensuse 10.1  for the 10. time.
> And as always it is the sound system that goes to hel..
> I have used the DVD that was with Linux Format, and all
> thing went well until to day.
> I have got the Xine to play DVD, I have downloaded
> Thunderbird, and I reboot my system every time I did some changes.
> Everything look fine, so I started Smart and did an upgrade of all
> packages, noe my sound system is gone mad, the sound goes in a loop
> and will not stop.
> I have had the same problem earlier, but then I blamed it on ZND, but
> now it is SMART that have done it, with a help from me.
> Can someone help me, it is impossible to stop the sound, it goes
> on and on.
> GunnarH

Hi GunnarH
I'm guessing you have been using the built-in sound on your motherboard?
You'll just about always find that unreliable.  If it's a desktop, get
yourself a good sound card, you'll be very happy with it.  One for the
excellent sound quality and the other because you have so few problems
with it.

Now if you still want to try to use that weak built-in sound, you'll
need to give us a bit more info about your system.

Also, have you gone into YaST2 to set up the sound?  I doubt that Smart
has anything to do with your problem, but if things aren't set up good,
some of the sound file updates might drive it a bit crazy.

regards,
Lee

Re: SMART have broken my system

Gunnar Haaland-2
BandiPat skrev:

> On Friday 04 August 2006 14:19, GunnarH wrote:
>> I have installed Opensuse 10.1  for the 10. time.
>> And as always it is the sound system that goes to hel..
>> I have used the DVD that was with Linux Format, and all
>> thing went well until to day.
>> I have got the Xine to play DVD, I have downloaded
>> Thunderbird, and I reboot my system every time I did some changes.
>> Everything look fine, so I started Smart and did an upgrade of all
>> packages, noe my sound system is gone mad, the sound goes in a loop
>> and will not stop.
>> I have had the same problem earlier, but then I blamed it on ZND, but
>> now it is SMART that have done it, with a help from me.
>> Can someone help me, it is impossible to stop the sound, it goes
>> on and on.
>> GunnarH

> Hi GunnarH
> I'm guessing you have been using the built-in sound on your motherboard?
> You'll just about always find that unreliable.  If it's a desktop, get
> yourself a good sound card, you'll be very happy with it.  One for the
> excellent sound quality and the other because you have so few problems
> with it.
>
> Now if you still want to try to use that weak built-in sound, you'll
> need to give us a bit more info about your system.
>
> Also, have you gone into YaST2 to set up the sound?  I doubt that Smart
> has anything to do with your problem, but if things aren't set up good,
> some of the sound file updates might drive it a bit crazy.
>
> regards,
> Lee

It a VIA VT8233 AC97 card, and I have been using it with SuSE all the
time, I sometime must restart my system to get my sound to work.
I have used YAST to delet the card, reboot my system, and let Yast find
the card again. Just the same, the sound is choppy and it skip for a
little second, the loop thing has gone. It is as my system are running
on a heavy load.
If I fire up my 10.0, on the same PC, the sound is o.k.
It must be something with the update that my system do not like.
It is fine from the start.
I have got mp3 to work, xine are playing DVD, mplayer, mplayerpluginn
and w32 codec work.
I have installed my opensusue 10.1 10 times, and it is the sound that
gives my problem. First time it was when I tried to install NVIDIA card
for my system, then the sound broke.

GunnarH

On Saturday 05 August 2006 00:54, GunnarH wrote:

> It a VIA VT8233 AC97 card, and I have been using it with SuSE all the
> time, I sometime must restart my system to get my sound to work.
> I have used YAST to delet the card, reboot my system, and let Yast
> find the card again. Just the same, the sound is choppy and it skip
> for a little second, the loop thing has gone. It is as my system are
> running on a heavy load.
> If I fire up my 10.0, on the same PC, the sound is o.k.
> It must be something with the update that my system do not like.
> It is fine from the start.
> I have got mp3 to work, xine are playing DVD, mplayer, mplayerpluginn
> and w32 codec work.
> I have installed my opensusue 10.1 10 times, and it is the sound that
> gives my problem. First time it was when I tried to install NVIDIA
> card for my system, then the sound broke.
>
> GunnarH

My first guess would be that there is some unnecessary load on the cpu
then, which would cause sound from the motherboard to act in the manner
you describe.  I'm sure there are some things running in 10.1 that
wasn't in 10.0, which may account for the difference you note between
them.

The new ZMD stuff for updates/yast2, beagle, can all be sources of over
taxing the cpu.  Again, the best solution is a PCI sound card.  They
are inexpensive now, so to get your best sound, that's the way to go.
Otherwise, search for the causes of the extra cpu usage and either
remove those or learn to live with the occasional choppy sound.

Wish I could be more encouraging about your problem, but what you
describe is a common problem with built-in sound on the motherboard.
I've never run across one that didn't have this problem, no matter what
OS is installed.

regards,
Lee

Re: SMART have broken my system(SOLVED)

Gunnar Haaland-2
BandiPat skrev:

> On Saturday 05 August 2006 00:54, GunnarH wrote:
>
>> It a VIA VT8233 AC97 card, and I have been using it with SuSE all the
>> time, I sometime must restart my system to get my sound to work.
>> I have used YAST to delet the card, reboot my system, and let Yast
>> find the card again. Just the same, the sound is choppy and it skip
>> for a little second, the loop thing has gone. It is as my system are
>> running on a heavy load.
>> If I fire up my 10.0, on the same PC, the sound is o.k.
>> It must be something with the update that my system do not like.
>> It is fine from the start.
>> I have got mp3 to work, xine are playing DVD, mplayer, mplayerpluginn
>> and w32 codec work.
>> I have installed my opensusue 10.1 10 times, and it is the sound that
>> gives my problem. First time it was when I tried to install NVIDIA
>> card for my system, then the sound broke.
>>
>> GunnarH

> My first guess would be that there is some unnecessary load on the cpu
> then, which would cause sound from the motherboard to act in the manner
> you describe.  I'm sure there are some things running in 10.1 that
> wasn't in 10.0, which may account for the difference you note between
> them.
>
> The new ZMD stuff for updates/yast2, beagle, can all be sources of over
> taxing the cpu.  Again, the best solution is a PCI sound card.  They
> are inexpensive now, so to get your best sound, that's the way to go.
> Otherwise, search for the causes of the extra cpu usage and either
> remove those or learn to live with the occasional choppy sound.
>
> Wish I could be more encouraging about your problem, but what you
> describe is a common problem with built-in sound on the motherboard.
> I've never run across one that didn't have this problem, no matter what
> OS is installed.
>
> regards,
> Lee

I did a search in an old desk, and I found an old PCI card, it was an
Creative Sound Blaster, and after I installed this, the sound is fine.
Thank you.
But how do I disable the on-board card. After a restart, I have to use
Yast to change to the Creative Card, my PC start with the on board card
as default.

GunnarH

Re: SMART have broken my system(SOLVED)

BandiPat
On Saturday 05 August 2006 15:58, GunnarH wrote:
[...]

> I did a search in an old desk, and I found an old PCI card, it was an
> Creative Sound Blaster, and after I installed this, the sound is
> fine. Thank you.
> But how do I disable the on-board card. After a restart, I have to
> use Yast to change to the Creative Card, my PC start with the on
> board card as default.
>
> GunnarH

Wonderful!  You disable the onboard sound in the BIOS of the computer.
If you are familar with the settings there, just look for the AC97
sound to "disable" that.  Shouldn't have anymore problems after that.

regards,
Lee