Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Patrick Shanahan
* John Andersen <[hidden email]> [11-09-06 22:03]:

> Lots of people think it stopped being SuSE when it became SUSE.

If you are shooting at Novell here, iirc, the change from SuSE to SUSE
came before Novell purchased SUSE.

--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Mark Hounschell
James Knott wrote:

> John E. Perry wrote:
>> Ken Jennings wrote:
>>> ...  But they only do that when they're too lazy to flip the switches by
>>> hand on their Altairs.
>>>
>> Hey, I did that! Well the bootloader, at least -- on Digital PDP-8,
>> PDP-11, HP 2100, hp21mx, General Automation SPC-16, ...
>>
>> And probably others I can't remember offhand.  And the bootloader loaded
>> the absolute binary assembly language program from the paper tape.
>>
>> Until later, when NASA went deluxe and bought the 14" 5MB hard drives.
>> Then I had much longer bootloaders to key in.
>>

> Ah yes, the PDP-8 RIM loader.  Brings back (core) memories.  ;-)
>
> Incidentally, I still have a core memory plane (4 Kbits IIRC) from a
> Collins 8500B.

I still have maintain a SEL 32/55 running RTM with 8 8kb core memory modules in
it. I turn it off when not needed which is most of the time) but when I turn it
back on it starts running right where it left off with out even having to reboot
from the 40 MB removable CDC connected to it. Its initial bootstrap is from
cards. That card reader still works too.

Mark

Mark

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Matt T.
On Friday 10 November 2006 07:49, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> On 08/11/06 21:11, Matt T. wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 November 2006 08:13, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >> Have you already made you mind up that SUSE is no more?  And what
> >> basis?
> >
> > 1) Experience with seeing Novell buying, hyping, killing, and then
> > selling WordPerfect, QuattroPro, DrDOS, UnixWare, etc. etc. It always
> > looked as if they would do the job for Microsoft, eliminating the
> > competition. This made me worrying the moment Novell bought SuSE.
>
> On which basis I have to wonder just why you continued to use SuSE after
> Novell bought it?

1) Support. Supporting the nice guys at SuSE which made and make a great
product.

2) SuSE Linux. Getting a Novell label but still a great Linux distro.

3) Hope. Hope that this time history does not get repeated. Not with SuSE as
the victim.

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Ed McCanless
On Thursday 09 November 2006 21:46, Ken Jennings wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 21:25, James Knott wrote:
> > Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > > On 09/11/06 06:59, Carlos E. R. wrote:
<Cut>
> > > I thought real programmers write code at the command line: in DOStalk,
> > > copy con filename.exe
> >
> > No, real programmers write directly to punch cards, using only their pen
> > knife.  ;-)

This was probably a result of not being allowed to touch the key-punch
machine, in college.

> No, no, no.  Real programmers use a bent paper clip to punch holes in paper
> tape.  But they only do that when they're too lazy to flip the switches by
> hand on their Altairs.

OK, you must be older than me, or you've studied more tech history
--
-- ED --

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Patrick Shanahan
* James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-10-06 13:22]:
> Also, CP/M was around before the Trash-80.  ;-)

Does a VIC-20 count??
--
Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                        @ http://counter.li.org
HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Ken Jennings
On Friday 10 November 2006 15:42, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-10-06 13:22]:
> > Also, CP/M was around before the Trash-80.  ;-)
>
> Does a VIC-20 count??

I suppose it can count up to $ff before using multi-byte math.

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Doug McGarrett
At 03:42 PM 11/10/2006 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

>* James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-10-06 13:22]:
>> Also, CP/M was around before the Trash-80.  ;-)
>
>Does a VIC-20 count??
>--
>Patrick Shanahan                        Registered Linux User #207535
/snip/

I bought my son a VIC-20 when he was just a little kid.  He's
36, now, and he says he hates computers.  I don't know if this is
related or not.

--doug

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Carl Spitzer-4
On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 23:30 -0500, JJ Gitties wrote:

>  But it's not gonna happen. 10.1 is probably going to be my last SUSE
> distro. I am going Ubuntu or Fedora. I would ever go with Red Hat at this
> point. They seem the lesser of evils.

Forget Dead Rat try CentOS.  I know someone who will be helping me try
it on a test box a friend gave me an old HP Kayak server, thing is heavy
weighs close to 25 pounds about as much as my cat Brian.
--
 ___ _ _ _ ____ _ _  _
|    | | | [__  | |  |

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Carl Spitzer-4
On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 22:19 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:

> I love it!  You guys should go on the Letterman show, or something.
> But I must tell you that I kept a 4" diameter roll of paper tape, punched
> on a model 35, for over 30 years, in my desk, thinking it might come
> in handy someday.  Of course, it never did, and when I retired, I threw
> it out.  OTOH, I once went to a seminar where switch programming was
> demonstrated.  When computing was a baby, you really could do it
> yourself.  I bet most of the pioneers once had a Commodore. Altho the
> richer ones probably had a Radio Shack.  Remember them? The company
> I worked for then had a bunch of secretaries typing in manuals on
> TRS-80's. (I think that was the number.)  I guess that was even before
> CPM, altho not by an awful lot.

I owned a TRS80-4P up until I could afford to buy my first 486.  I did
word processing on it.  We still had Windows 3.1.1 and I think it was
DOS 6.0 on that DX2-66 with 4 meg.  I think its guts are in a box here
some place.

--
 ___ _ _ _ ____ _ _  _
|    | | | [__  | |  |

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Ed McCanless
On Friday 10 November 2006 22:09, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:

<cut>

> I owned a TRS80-4P up until I could afford to buy my first 486.  I did
> word processing on it.  We still had Windows 3.1.1 and I think it was
> DOS 6.0 on that DX2-66 with 4 meg.  I think its guts are in a box here
> some place.

Does everyone interested in computing save this kind of stuff? I'm criticized
for it all the time. I kept a TRS80, a TI99, and three 286's laying around
until I had to move, and was forced to reduce the load.
--
-- ED --

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Ed McCanless
On Saturday 11 November 2006 06:40, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I do... I have my Amstrad PC 512 in working order ;-)

Now that's one I'm not familiar with. And, it's good to see that I got thru
with the new address.
--
-- ED --

Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Ed McCanless
On Thursday 09 November 2006 20:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> My dictionary contains SuSE :-P
>
> --
> Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.

This is the way I've been writing it since someone corrected me back in
August.

--
-- ED --

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

James Knott
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-10-06 13:22]:
>> Also, CP/M was around before the Trash-80.  ;-)
>
> Does a VIC-20 count??

I modified a couple of those, to increase memory from 5K to 8K (yes,
that's right, 8 kilobytes!)

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Bob S-4
On Saturday 11 November 2006 13:29, Ed McCanless wrote:
> On Thursday 09 November 2006 20:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > My dictionary contains SuSE :-P
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >        Carlos E. R.
>
> This is the way I've been writing it since someone corrected me back
> in August.

Wellllll.....have you tried running SUSEconfig, or Suseconfig, or
suseconfig ???????

Must still be SuSE at heart!

Bob S.

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

PerfectReign
On Saturday 11 November 2006 16:02, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Saturday 2006-11-11 at 11:26 -0500, Ed McCanless wrote:
> > On Saturday 11 November 2006 06:40, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > > I do... I have my Amstrad PC 512 in working order ;-)
> >
> > Now that's one I'm not familiar with. And, it's good to see that I got
> > thru with the new address.
>
> They were quite popular here in Spain. British made, and frowned upon by
> experts because the PSU was inside the monitor, had no fan, and the video
> was on board, so some upgrades were very dificult.
>
> But it sported a fast 8086, true 16 bits bus, running at 8 Mhz.
>
> Mine had two disketes and 512 KB, CGA mono graphics. Later I added a 32MB
> HD on card, plus a termally regulated fan I designed myself.

Buddy of mine in Stuttgart, Germany had one. Brilliant computer for the time,
especially compared to my poky Apple IIe.

Of course what really blew me away was his later Amiga 500, on which I did
stuff that I couldn't ever imagine doing in Windows for several years.

But, now we all have AMD/Intel systems and run X on top of a truly brilliant
kernel. :)

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Robert Smits
On Friday 10 November 2006 12:42, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * James Knott <[hidden email]> [11-10-06 13:22]:
> > Also, CP/M was around before the Trash-80.  ;-)
>
> Does a VIC-20 count??

Only to the extent that when I brought one back from Oregon to Canada, where
they weren't available at the time, I had it bungied to the back of my
motorcycle. When the customs agent asked what it was, I told him a computer,
he said sure, and waved me through.

I think I ended up putting 23K of additional memory in and using it to rum
amateur radio teletype beside my IMSAI 8080.

Bob
--
Robert Smits, Ladysmith BC Email [hidden email]

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take:

Re: Re: [SLE] Red Hat's take: