Re: MSI hardware

Chuck Davis
Does anyone on this list have experience with MSI laptops?  I'm may
need a new one soon and I'm looking at their WT72 6QM 423US.  Don't
think I'd be able to do a "live" version test on one and don't want to
pay that much for a boat anchor.  It would be a java development
machine for me.

Thanks.

Re: MSI hardware

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Chuck Davis <[hidden email]> [02-14-16 18:16]:
> Does anyone on this list have experience with MSI laptops?  I'm may
> need a new one soon and I'm looking at their WT72 6QM 423US.  Don't
> think I'd be able to do a "live" version test on one and don't want to
> pay that much for a boat anchor.  It would be a java development
> machine for me.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Most vendors/dealers have 30 day no questions
return for full refund.  Buy it, wipe windoz and install your choice and
see.  Or don't do anything to it and boot it with a "live" stick and test.
I won't purchase *any* computer hardware w/o a guaranteed return, minimum
14 days.
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: MSI hardware

Felix Miata-3
Chuck Davis composed on 2016-02-14 15:15 (UTC-0800):

> Does anyone on this list have experience with MSI laptops?

Laptop, no. MSI, yes.
https://us.msi.com/product/motherboard/B85-G41-PC-Mate.html is this machine,
Haswell dual core 3.0 GHz with 16G RAM, via Grub Legacy multibooting 13.1,
13.2, TW and 42.1, each on RAID1.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: MSI hardware

David C. Rankin
On 02/14/2016 05:15 PM, Chuck Davis wrote:
> Does anyone on this list have experience with MSI laptops?  I'm may
> need a new one soon and I'm looking at their WT72 6QM 423US.  Don't
> think I'd be able to do a "live" version test on one and don't want to
> pay that much for a boat anchor.  It would be a java development
> machine for me.
>
> Thanks.

Much like the others, no MSI laptop, but never had any issue with Linux on MSI.
Actually, I've had less issues with MSI than I have had with others.

(I should qualify that, I have never had *any* problem running Linux on *any*
x86/x86_64 platform *except* for having to sort out IOMMU issues on x86_64 with
the Realtek 8111/8168/8169/8411 NIC driver.)

That covers a fair variety of distros from SuSE, openSuSE, Mandrake, Arch,
Slackware, IBM Linux, etc...

I like Patrick's advise. You cannot go wrong there.

I think the shorter list would be (what Board/Models have experienced problem
with Linux?) The only problem you run into there is false reports from people
who have no clue what they are doing saying XYZ doesn't work with Linux -- when
the real issue is operator error...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Re: MSI hardware

Chuck Davis
Thanks, guys, for your input.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 6:12 PM, David C. Rankin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/14/2016 05:15 PM, Chuck Davis wrote:
>> Does anyone on this list have experience with MSI laptops?  I'm may
>> need a new one soon and I'm looking at their WT72 6QM 423US.  Don't
>> think I'd be able to do a "live" version test on one and don't want to
>> pay that much for a boat anchor.  It would be a java development
>> machine for me.
>>
>> Thanks.

ner, e-mail: [hidden email]