Re: KDE

Chuck Davis
Recent updates have wiped out KDE on both my desktop and laptop.  I
now get a funky gray sign on and it appears the wm that starts running
is called ice wm.  I've configured the window manager and display
manager to KDE in YaST but this funky thing just keeps rearing its
ugly head.  Can anybody tell me how to get KDE4.3 to start when I log
on?  My desktop is AMD/ nVidia and the laptop is Intel/Intel.

Thanks.

Re: Re: KDE

Rajko M.
On Thursday 28 May 2009 07:44:08 pm Chuck Davis wrote:
> Recent updates have wiped out KDE on both my desktop and laptop.  I
> now get a funky gray sign on and it appears the wm that starts running
> is called ice wm.  I've configured the window manager and display
> manager to KDE in YaST but this funky thing just keeps rearing its
> ugly head.  Can anybody tell me how to get KDE4.3 to start when I log
> on?  My desktop is AMD/ nVidia and the laptop is Intel/Intel.
>
> Thanks.

Try first to create new user and log in as that user, to make sure that
settings in home directory don't make problems.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/

Re: Re: KDE

Rajko M.
On Thursday 28 May 2009 09:09:53 pm Chuck Davis wrote:
> Thanks Rajko.  That at least gets me back to a KDE3.5 desktop.  Same
> funky sign on but 3.5 starts.  I'd like to get back to the KDE sign on
> and start KDE4.3.  Any more good ideas?

Check files
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm4"

and
/etc/sysconfig/windowmanager
DEFAULT_WM="startkde"

to make sure that they show as above.

If yes, and you see xdm (gray with suse logo) then kdm4 doesn't run.
If it is not xdm then use http://picpaste.com to post image.

BTW, IRC channel #suse can be much faster to exchange ideas in  this case.