Re: Introducing the new mailinglist server

Re: Introducing the new mailinglist server

jdd@dodin.org
is there a way, i one find a post in the archive, to answer
this post on the list (with the same thread)

(suppose you delete a mail by mistake and whish to answer)

thanks
jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Introducing the new mailinglist server

Dominique Leuenberger-2

>>> [hidden email] 10-08-2006 19:36 >>>
>1.9 Reply-To munging
>--------------------
>We do not "munge" the mail headers by inserting a "Reply-To:
><listname>@opensuse.org" anymore because it makes it more difficult
>subscribers to handle the mail the way they want to.  Your mail client
>probably has a "reply" function as well as a "reply to all" or "reply to
>list" one; Please use the latter if you want you message to go to the
>list and not just to the original poster.
Hi,

That's in fact something I will really miss in the near future. It was so conveniant to be able just to reply to a message and not to worry that the reply went to the mailing list.

Most of the time exactlythis IS the requested feature. In very rare circumstances, users want and should reply to the auther itself. Even if it's about a technical question, a solution for a specific problem: still the community and future users might be interested in a solution, especially when googling, they might have chances to find it.

What do others think about this on that list?

Dominique

Re: Re: Introducing the new mailinglist server

Theo v. Werkhoven-2
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 you said:

> is there a way, i one find a post in the archive, to answer
> this post on the list (with the same thread)
>
> (suppose you delete a mail by mistake and whish to answer)

If you reconstruct the Reference: header, yes.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven   Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
Voorhout                             ICQ: 277217131
Voor GNUpg/pgp zie headers.

Theo v. Werkhoven a écrit :

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 you said:
>
>> is there a way, i one find a post in the archive, to answer
>> this post on the list (with the same thread)
>>
>> (suppose you delete a mail by mistake and whish to answer)
>
> If you reconstruct the Reference: header, yes.
>
> Theo
well, of course, I mean a usable one :-) - like a "reply to
the list" button on the archives :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Re: Introducing the new mailinglist server

Henne Vogelsang
Hi,

On Friday, August 11, 2006 at 17:19:21, jdd wrote:

> Theo v. Werkhoven a écrit :
> >On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 you said:
> >
> >>is there a way, i one find a post in the archive, to answer
> >>this post on the list (with the same thread)
> >>
> >>(suppose you delete a mail by mistake and whish to answer)
> >
> >If you reconstruct the Reference: header, yes.
> >
> >Theo
> well, of course, I mean a usable one :-) - like a "reply to
> the list" button on the archives :-)

And then what? You want me to implement a webmailer? ;) Its not possible
to do this correct only with mailto in html.

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang,      http://hennevogel.de
"To die. In the rain. Alone."
                   Ernest Hemingway

Henne Vogelsang a écrit :

>> well, of course, I mean a usable one :-) - like a "reply to
>> the list" button on the archives :-)
>
> And then what? You want me to implement a webmailer? ;)

of course not

  Its not possible
> to do this correct only with mailto in html.

I'm surprised this function don't exists already in mail
archives managers, for it's a very important one.

by the way, I didn't ever find an archive manager able to
archive my own mailbox in a correct manner; I tried several,
but there are so many, I sure missed some :-)

too bad :-(

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net

Re: Re: Introducing the new mailinglist server

Christian Boltz-5

Am Freitag, 11. August 2006 11:52 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger:

> >1.9 Reply-To munging
> >--------------------
> >We do not "munge" the mail headers by inserting a "Reply-To:
> ><listname>@opensuse.org" anymore [...]

> That's in fact something I will really miss in the near future.
[...]
> What do others think about this on that list?

Short answer: I am very happy that the Reply-To is no longer set to the
list.

Long answer: http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Das ist keine Sigg, Zum Kuckuck noch mal! Und wenn du eine daraus
machst, so ist das deine Schuld.   [WoKo zu Michael Hoffmann in dag°]