Re: Intel ALC880 RealTek Driver for Linux

Re: Intel ALC880 RealTek Driver for Linux

Joe Morris
danilyn harris wrote:
> On Friday 04 August 2006 12:26, danilyn harris wrote:
>
>> Top of the morning to yous SuSE fans,
>>
>    Almost forgot...
>
>    Is there an install procedure that would allow this drive to work correctly
> with Yast?

Only if it was supported by ALSA.  What does alsaconf give you (as
root)?  That should give you a good idea if it is already supported.
You can also try updating your alsa packages from packman's site.  HTH

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Intel ALC880 RealTek Driver for Linux

M Harris-2
On Friday 04 August 2006 21:26, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Only if it was supported by ALSA.  What does alsaconf give you (as
> root)?
   hi Joe,
Actually, alsaconf is where I started... identified the card, supposedly
configured it, but would not play the sample.

To make a longer story shorter, I pulled the driver sources from RealTek:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?keyword=ALC880

The file is:   realtek-linux-audiopack-4.04c.tar.bz2

The driver compiled without errors and installed ok. I had to manually update
the modprobe.conf.local file.  The drivers would not start on bootup until I
manually added the snd-card-0 alias to the kernel modules list with the
sysconfig editor.  Now I have sound. But, I also have questions.

How do we get this driver into the SuSE distro?
When I start the machine why does the boot console log show that the modules
are not supported by Novell, and the taint U flag is set...?
Why does Yast not see the new modules and give me the option to configure them
through Yast?
Why does alsaconf not see the new modules and allow me to configure them
there?

Thanks
--

Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Intel ALC880 RealTek Driver for Linux

Bruce Marshall
On Monday 07 August 2006 17:47, M Harris wrote:

> On Friday 04 August 2006 21:26, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > Only if it was supported by ALSA.  What does alsaconf give you (as
> > root)?
>
>    hi Joe,
> Actually, alsaconf is where I started... identified the card, supposedly
> configured it, but would not play the sample.
>
> To make a longer story shorter, I pulled the driver sources from RealTek:
>
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?keyword=ALC880
>
> The file is:   realtek-linux-audiopack-4.04c.tar.bz2
>
> The driver compiled without errors and installed ok. I had to manually
> update the modprobe.conf.local file.  The drivers would not start on bootup
> until I manually added the snd-card-0 alias to the kernel modules list with
> the sysconfig editor.  Now I have sound. But, I also have questions.
>
> How do we get this driver into the SuSE distro?

Please read the archives - - -  and how  Novell is no longer
supporting "non-kernel-integrated" modules.

On Monday 07 August 2006 16:56, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
> > modules ot be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this
> > position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part
> > of future products.
   Whoa... I hate to be dense, but I don't get it... the modules I installed
are open-source, and simply the latest level modules from the alsa project,
already being shipped with SuSE by Novell. The GPL flag can be set in the
sources so that the tainting message isn't displayed... that's not a big
deal... but, that's not my question.
   Who is complaining about copyright infringement?  The modules I installed
come directly from the alsa project and are distributed freely by RealTek
(open sources). What's the problem?
   The real question is why is not Novell (SuSE) supporting the Intel 900 G
chipset (ALC880) ?  How do we get that changed?

Thanks

--

Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Intel ALC880 RealTek Driver for Linux

M Harris-2
On Monday 07 August 2006 16:56, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> > Novell's Official Position
> >
> > Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
> > modules ot be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this
> > position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part
> > of future products.
> >
> > February 9, 2006
I pulled this from the ALSA project site:

[ ALSA is released under the GPL (GNU General Public license) and the LGPL
(GNU Lesser General Public License). ]    <===  me thinks this speaks clearly
to the kernel community.   :)

The ALSA ftp download site is:

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver

The driver that ships with SuSE 10.0 can be found there...  alsa-driver-1.0.9

The driver that fixed my sound issue on the ThinkPad R30 (ALC880) HD Audio
from Intel...  is:  alsa-driver-1.0.11  (although I pulled it from RealTek,
the doc says its the same... looks the same... functions the same... )

... and the latest driver that I think should be shipped with future editions
of SuSE is:   alsa-driver-1.0.12rc2.tar.bz2   dated 08/04/2006  [but I guess
I could be wrong for some reason]

Are the latest alsa drivers shipping with 10.1 and I just haven't discovered
that yet?

I am perplexed over the silence on this issue. I really must have missed
something in your politics... I would think that you (SuSE Novell) would want
your product(s) running on every piece of hardware...  When WinXP runs
out-of-box on a new HP Pavilion... and SuSE won't, how does that speak for
SuSE, linux in general, or Novell either for that matter?
</soap box off>

Thanks anyway.  :)

--

Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

M Harris wrote:
> Are the latest alsa drivers shipping with 10.1 and I just haven't discovered
> that yet?

The latest at the time,
joe@jmorris:~> rpm -q alsa
alsa-1.0.11-32

Maybe your sound card was fixed between 1.0.11 and 1.0.12rc2.  HTH

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 23:43, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Maybe your sound card was fixed between 1.0.11 and 1.0.12rc2.  HTH
   Yes, that's what it looks like.   1.0.11 is the driver that was included
with the RealTek package, and it works like a champ. Its open sources,
compiled cleanly, and has given me no problem.
   Thanks for your replies.

--

Kind regards,

M Harris     <><