Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Keith Roberts-4
Maybe I'm missing something - but is it really two years ago since 9.2 was
shipped?

If the life cycle of each release lasts for two years, why can't SuSE
release each upgrade on a 6 monthly cycle so we have a smooth transition
between updates without any big gaps or overlaps?

If ( (release_9_2 < release9_3) == six_months
AND (release_9_3 < release10_0) == six_months
AND (release_10_0 < release10_1) == six_months
AND (release_10_1 < release10_2) == six_months
AND ReleaseLifeTimeWithUpdates == two_years )

THEN
  CustomerSatisfaction = true
ELSE
  CustomerSatisfaction = false

Just my 2c.

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net

> Just as a bit of feedback for the guys at SuSE/Novell - It would have
> been nice to stretch this window a bit to wait till SuSE 10.2 ships. - I
> have always found the x.2 distributions the most stable ones and will
> not upgrade my 9.2 boxes till 10.2 ships.
>
> Best regards
> Hubba

> Dear suse-security-announce subscribers and SUSE Linux  users,
>

> SUSE Security announces that SUSE Linux 9.2 will be  discontinued soon.
> Having provided security-relevant fixes for more than two  years,
> vulnerabilities found in SUSE Linux 9.2 after October 15th  2006 will
> not be fixed any more for this product. We expect to release the last
> updates around October 31st 2006.

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

John Andersen
On Wednesday 20 September 2006 14:31, Keith Roberts wrote:

> f ( (release_9_2 < release9_3) == six_months
> AND (release_9_3 < release10_0) == six_months
> AND (release_10_0 < release10_1) == six_months
> AND (release_10_1 < release10_2) == six_months
> AND ReleaseLifeTimeWithUpdates == two_years )
>
> THEN
>   CustomerSatisfaction = true
> ELSE
>   CustomerSatisfaction = false
Personally I would rather have fewer releases.  I spend a
lot of time updating systems.  Because of staggered installation
versions, not all machines need upgrade at once.

But I begin to ask myself, what do I gain by moving from 9.2
to 10.2?  For server class machines, the answer is virtually nothing.

Yet I can't responsibly continue to operate a system for which security
patches will no longer be available.  I'm forced into an upgrade on a
production system.

On desktop system, I might gain something, not a great deal.

I'd much prefer a patch AND upgrade in-place for a given period
of time - say 5 years minimum.  I like the Ubuntu Long Term Support
promise.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Double Posts to list

Keith Roberts-4

I have noticed that the last few posts are being sent to the
list twice. I checked my sent-mail folder, and only posted
once to the list. Is there any reason for the duplicate
posts please?

Regards

keith

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net
Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Double Posts to list

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 08:16:32AM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:

> I have noticed that the last few posts are being sent to the
> list twice. I checked my sent-mail folder, and only posted
> once to the list. Is there any reason for the duplicate
> posts please?

You might be subscribed twice.

> http://www.karsites.net
> http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk
>
> This email address is challenge-response protected with
> http://www.tmda.net
Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Dirk Schreiner

John Andersen schrieb:
> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 14:31, Keith Roberts wrote:

[...]

> But I begin to ask myself, what do I gain by moving from 9.2
> to 10.2?  For server class machines, the answer is virtually nothing.
>
> Yet I can't responsibly continue to operate a system for which security
> patches will no longer be available.  I'm forced into an upgrade on a
> production system.

Did you ever consider using SLES for _production_ Servers?

> On desktop system, I might gain something, not a great deal.
>
> I'd much prefer a patch AND upgrade in-place for a given period
> of time - say 5 years minimum.  I like the Ubuntu Long Term Support
> promise.

You will get a 5 years Update-Support.  ;-)
Just my 2 ct/EUR

Dirk

--
There are 10 sorts of people in this World.
Those who understand binary, and those who don`t.

TRIA IT-consulting GmbH
Joseph-Wild-Straße 20
81829 München
Germany
Tel: +49 (89) 92907-0
Fax: +49 (89) 92907-100
http://www.tria.de

Registergericht München HRB 113466
USt.-IdNr. DE 180017238 Steuer-Nr. 802/40600
Geschäftsführer: Rosa Igl
Nachricht von: [hidden email]
Nachricht an: [hidden email], [hidden email]
# Dateianhänge: 0

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:48:56PM -0800, John Andersen wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 14:31, Keith Roberts wrote:
> > f ( (release_9_2 < release9_3) == six_months
> > AND (release_9_3 < release10_0) == six_months
> > AND (release_10_0 < release10_1) == six_months
> > AND (release_10_1 < release10_2) == six_months
> > AND ReleaseLifeTimeWithUpdates == two_years )
> >
> > THEN
> >   CustomerSatisfaction = true
> > ELSE
> >   CustomerSatisfaction = false
>
> Personally I would rather have fewer releases.  I spend a
> lot of time updating systems.  Because of staggered installation
> versions, not all machines need upgrade at once.
>
> But I begin to ask myself, what do I gain by moving from 9.2
> to 10.2?  For server class machines, the answer is virtually nothing.
>
> Yet I can't responsibly continue to operate a system for which security
> patches will no longer be available.  I'm forced into an upgrade on a
> production system.
>
> On desktop system, I might gain something, not a great deal.
>
> I'd much prefer a patch AND upgrade in-place for a given period
> of time - say 5 years minimum.  I like the Ubuntu Long Term Support
> promise.

This is what SLES and SLED are for...

Ciao, Marcus

On Thursday 21 September 2006 00:07, Dirk Schreiner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Andersen schrieb:
> > On Wednesday 20 September 2006 14:31, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > But I begin to ask myself, what do I gain by moving from 9.2
> > to 10.2?  For server class machines, the answer is virtually nothing.
> >
> > Yet I can't responsibly continue to operate a system for which security
> > patches will no longer be available.  I'm forced into an upgrade on a
> > production system.
>
> Did you ever consider using SLES for _production_ Servers?

Yes, and some of my clients run SLES on my recommendation.

Others are smaller businesses and chose linux because they
really didn't want to pay Microsoft's prices, and would not want
to pay SLES prices either.  Either way, they buy a boxed set.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

On Thursday 21 September 2006 00:09, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> > I'd much prefer a patch AND upgrade in-place for a given period
> > of time - say 5 years minimum.  I like the Ubuntu Long Term Support
> > promise.
>
> This is what SLES and SLED are for...

As I mentioned to Dirk, some sites I support are running SLES.
I just replaced a SuSE 7.2 server with SLES, after begging the
owners to upgrade for years.  The box was behind a firewall
and they were perfectly happy to run it forever. The only reason
they upgraded was they finally filled the raid array.

But at $800 per year its fairly expensive.  Even the cheapest support
option run $350/yr.  Once they buy Windows 2003 Server, they are
done paying.  Its a tough sell put SLES in a small shop.  A 7 person
business looks very closely at an $800 maintenance contract.

But I understand that SuSE/Novell have to make money if I expect
them to be there in 6 years.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Paul Reeves-3
On Thursday 21 September 2006 10:15, John Andersen wrote:
> > Did you ever consider using SLES for _production_ Servers?
>
> Yes, and some of my clients run SLES on my recommendation.
>
> Others are smaller businesses and chose linux because they
> really didn't want to pay Microsoft's prices, and would not want
> to pay SLES prices either.

I think this is the crux of the problem. SLES and SLED are way too
expensive for non-corporate use. SuSE Professional, with a guarantee of
two years of updates and a six monthly release cycle works (or worked?)
for a lot of people. Most of whom would happily pay more (I reckon), but
not as much as for SLES.

I don't know SuSE could make this work financially, but there is
definitely a market there, in between free opensuse and SLES.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Ralf Ronneburger
Paul Reeves schrieb:
> I think this is the crux of the problem. SLES and SLED are way too
> expensive for non-corporate use. SuSE Professional, with a guarantee of
> two years of updates and a six monthly release cycle works (or worked?)
> for a lot of people. Most of whom would happily pay more (I reckon), but
> not as much as for SLES.
>
> I don't know SuSE could make this work financially, but there is
> definitely a market there, in between free opensuse and SLES.

The same can be said about our customers - small companies would happily
pay 200 $ for the professional version of SuSE to get 3-5 years of
updates, one (stable) release per year would be enough. The times are
gone where Linux was changing so fast that one needed a new version
every 6 month. But SLES is out of reach for small companies, especially
in competition with Windows 2003 Server on one side and with SuSE Linux
Professional on the other.

Greetings,

Ralf

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Double Posts to list

Keith Roberts-4
Your right there Marcus.

I re-subscribed because I was not getting any mail.

I think it was getting blocked in my ISP's spam filter.

Everything is working OK now TY.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> To: Keith Roberts <[hidden email]>
> From: Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [suse-security] Double Posts to list
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 08:16:32AM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> >
> > I have noticed that the last few posts are being sent to the
> > list twice. I checked my sent-mail folder, and only posted
> > once to the list. Is there any reason for the duplicate
> > posts please?
>
> You might be subscribed twice.

> > http://www.karsites.net
> > http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk
> >
> > This email address is challenge-response protected with
> > http://www.tmda.net
Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Keith Roberts-4
Well, personally I think the price Novell charge for SuSE
Linux boxed set and manuals is quite enough.

It's is nice to get the 2 years of security updates included
in that.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:31:55PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> Maybe I'm missing something - but is it really two years ago since 9.2 was
> shipped?

Yes.

Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Frank Steiner
Marcus Meissner wrote

> This is what SLES and SLED are for...

Just that SLES (don't know about SLED) doesn't provide me any updates
for my servers that have (due to sensible data hosted on them) no access
to the internet. And since *all* our IBM pSeries are configured that
way, there is not even a host that could make use of your curl-solution
because no one is outside the firewall and has access.

And no, I'm not paying even more money for a zen-whatever software
to get downloads, I've already paid enough for SLES itself, haven't I?

This change of download policy is indeed such a major drawback that
we do consider switching to another distribution (apart from the money)
now. First you get promised 5 years of upgrade, but no one tells you
"but only if each and every server running SLES can download the
updates by itself from the internet".

I would guess we are not the only organization that is really pi*** off
by such a new policy and that will drop SLES for that reason.

cu,
Frank

--
Dipl.-Inform. Frank Steiner   Web:  http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/
Lehrstuhl f. Bioinformatik    Mail: http://www.bio.ifi.lmu.de/~steiner/m/

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 12:49:45PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:

> Marcus Meissner wrote
>
> > This is what SLES and SLED are for...
>
> Just that SLES (don't know about SLED) doesn't provide me any updates
> for my servers that have (due to sensible data hosted on them) no access
> to the internet. And since *all* our IBM pSeries are configured that
> way, there is not even a host that could make use of your curl-solution
> because no one is outside the firewall and has access.
>
> And no, I'm not paying even more money for a zen-whatever software
> to get downloads, I've already paid enough for SLES itself, haven't I?
>
> This change of download policy is indeed such a major drawback that
> we do consider switching to another distribution (apart from the money)
> now. First you get promised 5 years of upgrade, but no one tells you
> "but only if each and every server running SLES can download the
> updates by itself from the internet".
>
> I would guess we are not the only organization that is really pi*** off
> by such a new policy and that will drop SLES for that reason.

I am aware of this oversight and I do not like it either.

We offer now a script solution for this called "yup",
http://support.novell.com/techcenter/psdb/0d00854c9f7f33f7a225f6d227c03de4.html
which you can use to mirror the updates to a local machine.

Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: YUP - was [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Keith Roberts-4
I'm only running SuSE 9.2 But AAMOI does yup support any
encryption protocols for the file transfer process Marcus?

Keith

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> To: Frank Steiner <[hidden email]>
> From: Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [suse-security] Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 12:49:45PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:
> > Marcus Meissner wrote
> >
> > > This is what SLES and SLED are for...
> >
> > Just that SLES (don't know about SLED) doesn't provide me any updates
> > for my servers that have (due to sensible data hosted on them) no access
> > to the internet. And since *all* our IBM pSeries are configured that
> > way, there is not even a host that could make use of your curl-solution
> > because no one is outside the firewall and has access.
> >
> > And no, I'm not paying even more money for a zen-whatever software
> > to get downloads, I've already paid enough for SLES itself, haven't I?
> >
> > This change of download policy is indeed such a major drawback that
> > we do consider switching to another distribution (apart from the money)
> > now. First you get promised 5 years of upgrade, but no one tells you
> > "but only if each and every server running SLES can download the
> > updates by itself from the internet".
> >
> > I would guess we are not the only organization that is really pi*** off
> > by such a new policy and that will drop SLES for that reason.
>
> I am aware of this oversight and I do not like it either.
>
> We offer now a script solution for this called "yup",
> http://support.novell.com/techcenter/psdb/0d00854c9f7f33f7a225f6d227c03de4.html
> which you can use to mirror the updates to a local machine.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: YUP - was [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 01:34:21PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I'm only running SuSE 9.2 But AAMOI does yup support any
> encryption protocols for the file transfer process Marcus?

It uses curl at this time to download files.

However a pretty new version of curl :(

Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

Re: Re: [Discontinued SUSE Linux Distribution: 9.2]

Frank Steiner
Marcus Meissner wrote

> I am aware of this oversight and I do not like it either.

I know you care about it from your mails on suse-linux-e...

> We offer now a script solution for this called "yup",
> http://support.novell.com/techcenter/psdb/0d00854c9f7f33f7a225f6d227c03de4.html
> which you can use to mirror the updates to a local machine.

I guess this is basically your script you posted to the mailinglist?
I'm not sure about two things (and I can't test at the moment):

- can I download packages from a non-sles host, say a SuSE 10.1 host?
  Looks like I have to register a host at Novell with some values from
  /etc/zmd/. Can I do that with a 10.1 host and use this one as download
  host?
  What if the host must be changed, can I re-register another host and
  use the new one then?

- can I download packages for ppc from an i586 or x86_64 host?

Otherwise this wouldn't help our SLES servers having no inet connection...

cu,
Frank

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:54:16PM +0200, Frank Steiner wrote:

> Marcus Meissner wrote
>
> > I am aware of this oversight and I do not like it either.
>
> I know you care about it from your mails on suse-linux-e...
>
> > We offer now a script solution for this called "yup",
> > http://support.novell.com/techcenter/psdb/0d00854c9f7f33f7a225f6d227c03de4.html
> > which you can use to mirror the updates to a local machine.
>
> I guess this is basically your script you posted to the mailinglist?
> I'm not sure about two things (and I can't test at the moment):

It has been enhanced by Eberhard Moenkeberg and Matthias Eckermann.

> - can I download packages from a non-sles host, say a SuSE 10.1 host?
>   Looks like I have to register a host at Novell with some values from
>   /etc/zmd/. Can I do that with a 10.1 host and use this one as download
>   host?

You can "suse_register" on 10.1, however you need to specify the -p product option.

I am not sure what exactly to pass there, I think the "Name" string returned
by "rug products" on the SLES 10 machine.

>   What if the host must be changed, can I re-register another host and
>   use the new one then?

? In the end this circumvents our NCC restrictions to some degree. You
can run above suse_register call again.

> - can I download packages for ppc from an i586 or x86_64 host?

Yes.

> Otherwise this wouldn't help our SLES servers having no inet connection...

Ciao, Marcus

Security-related bug reports go to [hidden email], not here

12