Re: Capturing streaming video

Basil Chupin
John Andersen wrote:

> On Thursday 03 August 2006 02:04, Jos van Kan wrote:
>> In the thread "Installing windows ...etc" Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>> "The only thing I am looking for is an app. for SuSE which I can use to
>> CAPTURE video thru the tv tuner card I use to watch - like at this moment -
>> the daily news."
>>
>> With Mplayer you have the option to dump the video stream to a file. I have
>> tested this with all kind of streaming video on the web and that works
>> fine, My connection is too slow to allow real streaming video, so this way
>> I can watch video streams off line. But I'm not sure if that also works for
>> a tv tuner card. Do you lead that output through a video player like xine?
>> If so then mplayer looks a good bet to me.
>
> cat /dev/video0 > myfile.mpeg

Unfortunately, this only gives an error message, "Device or resource
busy" :-( .

> Adjust device as necessary for your card.  Not cute, but works.
> To play: mplayer myfile.mpeg
>
> Plenty of tv packages available in SuSE distro.

I have a non-SuSE app, tvtime, installed and is the best app. for
picture quality - but no capture of tv (except for snapshot).

The other one in SuSE which actually works (ie, outputs a picture and
audio) is kdetv but the quality of pic. is nowhere lousy compared to
tvtime. But, again, no capture of pic. is available.

The other 2, xawTv and motv, do have the ability to capture video to a
file but although it/they scan and actually find all the TV channels
correctly the damn apps do not output a picture nor audio :-( . Not much
fun in staring at a black, soundless, screen. So, in the final analysis,
it/they are useless as tits on a bull.

> Really awesome MythTV package freely available from mythtv.org

I've had a look at this and it looks great except that the package does
not support my tvtuner card.

So <sigh>, I am still stuck with having to boot into Win if I want to
capture some documentary.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Capturing streaming video

Tom Patton
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 14:03 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

> The other 2, xawTv and motv, do have the ability to capture video to a
> file but although it/they scan and actually find all the TV channels
> correctly the damn apps do not output a picture nor audio :-( . Not much
> fun in staring at a black, soundless, screen. So, in the final analysis,
> it/they are useless as tits on a bull.

I have two tuner cards running, and am able to see and record off two
instances of xawtv just fine with SuSE9.3.  Another flawless app for
editing and capture is cinelerra.  I suspect you are missing some codecs
along the way.

Start with loading vlan from packman, and then cinelerra.  Between those
installs, you will probably find your v4l working properly.

Tom

Tom Patton wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 14:03 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> The other 2, xawTv and motv, do have the ability to capture video to a
>> file but although it/they scan and actually find all the TV channels
>> correctly the damn apps do not output a picture nor audio :-( . Not much
>> fun in staring at a black, soundless, screen. So, in the final analysis,
>> it/they are useless as tits on a bull.
>>

> I have two tuner cards running, and am able to see and record off two
> instances of xawtv just fine with SuSE9.3.  Another flawless app for
> editing and capture is cinelerra.  I suspect you are missing some codecs
> along the way.

Thanks Tom for the assistance.

Only problem with this is that I am running 10.1. When installing both
motv and xawtv there were no dependency problems, and I just checked
this again so it doesn't appear that there are any codecs missing. As
mentioned, kdetv and tvtime are running normally. <shrugs> Dunno what to
think.

> Start with loading vlan from packman, and then cinelerra.  Between those
> installs, you will probably find your v4l working properly.

Cannot find either vlan or cinerella at packman but vlan was one of the
packages which 10.1 recognised as being installable - but motv/xawtv
still doesn't want to play ball. Cinerella I picked up from its home
page as a source package and now (ie sometime later today) will try to
compile it.

Cinerella looks very interesting so I hope that it will compile and work
on 10.1. And thanks for mentioning cinerella as I haven't heard of it
and was wondering if there was anything to replace what is avaiable for
Windows.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Capturing streaming video

jdd sur free
Basil Chupin a écrit :

> Cinerella looks very interesting so I hope that it will compile and work
> on 10.1. And thanks for mentioning cinerella as I haven't heard of it
> and was wondering if there was anything to replace what is avaiable for
> Windows.

http://fr.opensuse.org/Édition_video_avec_SUSE_Linux
if you happen to read french, look here.

I never could really make cinelerra works and I use mostly
DV camcorder, so my problems are partly different from yours.

but video & Linux are enough a problem to share infos :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net