RFC for SR 131525

Togan Muftuoglu-3
Hi,

In my recent request for the shorewall package to factory with the
SR#131525 Andreas Jaeger has declined the request with the following
comment, therefore I am bringing the discusssion to the packaging list

"Why are you running configure as part of the %install section?
This is not normal, it should be part of the %build section.  If
this is really correct, then document why it is done this way -
or let's discuss on opensuse-packaging how to do this better.
               Thanks, Andreas "

First of let me clarify the process, as the configure command is not
actually a configure thing, but to set the install variables to the
shorewall install program, and this is approach is the same way upstream
rpm specs which are for each shorewall package separately and by fedora
packages at koji
<http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=341839> and for
RHEL releases by
<http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/shorewall/RPMS/ils-5/SRPMS/>.

Therefore as the maintainer, I have followed the same approach as
upstream and other package maintainers and to maintain one spec file for
the whole shorewall system also used the combined approach.

I am behind my logic of doing the packaging the way it is, but I am open
to suggestions as well.

Thanks

Togan

Re: RFC for SR 131525

Philipp Thomas-3
Hi Togan,

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:18:55 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>First of let me clarify the process, as the configure command is not
>actually a configure thing, but to set the install variables to the
>shorewall install program, and this is approach is the same way upstream
>rpm specs

Andreas didn't check the script itself. In most cases, configure is
the name of a script to configure sources for building. As shorewalls
configure is meant for something completely different, you should add
a comment in the script to make ist clear that this script sets up
things during the installation and also add a comment to the .changes
file to make it clear for any reviewer that you know what you're doing
and why you do it that way. That should clear the way for a checkin to
factory.

hth
Philipp

Re: RFC for SR 131525

Togan Muftuoglu-3
Hi Philipp,

On 08/26/2012 06:43 PM, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> Hi Togan,
>
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:18:55 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> First of let me clarify the process, as the configure command is not
>> actually a configure thing, but to set the install variables to the
>> shorewall install program, and this is approach is the same way upstream
>> rpm specs
>
> Andreas didn't check the script itself. In most cases, configure is
> the name of a script to configure sources for building. As shorewalls
> configure is meant for something completely different, you should add
> a comment in the script to make ist clear that this script sets up
> things during the installation and also add a comment to the .changes
> file to make it clear for any reviewer that you know what you're doing
> and why you do it that way. That should clear the way for a checkin to
> factory.

Ok sounds fine. In that case I would reopen the SR and do the changes in
the next update as Shorewall is very active in terms of development and
the next release will also enable me to remove some of the suse specific
patches as they are now upstreamed

Togan

Re: RFC for SR 131525

Bruno Friedmann-2
On Sunday 26 August 2012 19.01:16 Togan Muftuoglu wrote:

> Hi Philipp,
>
> On 08/26/2012 06:43 PM, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> > Hi Togan,
> >
> > On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:18:55 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> First of let me clarify the process, as the configure command is not
> >> actually a configure thing, but to set the install variables to the
> >> shorewall install program, and this is approach is the same way upstream
> >> rpm specs
> >
> > Andreas didn't check the script itself. In most cases, configure is
> > the name of a script to configure sources for building. As shorewalls
> > configure is meant for something completely different, you should add
> > a comment in the script to make ist clear that this script sets up
> > things during the installation and also add a comment to the .changes
> > file to make it clear for any reviewer that you know what you're doing
> > and why you do it that way. That should clear the way for a checkin to
> > factory.
>
> Ok sounds fine. In that case I would reopen the SR and do the changes in
> the next update as Shorewall is very active in terms of development and
> the next release will also enable me to remove some of the suse specific
> patches as they are now upstreamed
>
> Togan

And keep the good work Togan, your shorewall packages are really appreciate.

--
Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Ambassador
GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
irc: tigerfoot

Re: RFC for SR 131525

Togan Muftuoglu-3
On 08/26/2012 08:43 PM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
>> Ok sounds fine. In that case I would reopen the SR and do the changes in
>> the next update as Shorewall is very active in terms of development and
>> the next release will also enable me to remove some of the suse specific
>> patches as they are now upstreamed
>>
>> Togan
>
> And keep the good work Togan, your shorewall packages are really appreciate.

Thanks, Bruno I have reopened the SR#131525 but in the  mean time
packages in the security:netfilter repo, as you know, are available and
with the 4.5.7 for those using fedora the packages are also there ;)
(hint even fedora doesn't have them as yet) and if I can I'll try to fix
rhel packaging as well

Togan

Re: RFC for SR 131525

Andreas Jaeger-8
On Sunday, August 26, 2012 19:01:16 Togan Muftuoglu wrote:

> Hi Philipp,
>
> On 08/26/2012 06:43 PM, Philipp Thomas wrote:
> > Hi Togan,
> >
> > On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:18:55 +0200, Togan Muftuoglu
> >
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> First of let me clarify the process, as the configure command is
> >> not
> >> actually a configure thing, but to set the install variables to the
> >> shorewall install program, and this is approach is the same way
> >> upstream rpm specs
> >
> > Andreas didn't check the script itself. In most cases, configure is
> > the name of a script to configure sources for building. As
> > shorewalls
> > configure is meant for something completely different, you should
> > add
> > a comment in the script to make ist clear that this script sets up
> > things during the installation and also add a comment to the
> > .changes
> > file to make it clear for any reviewer that you know what you're
> > doing and why you do it that way. That should clear the way for a
> > checkin to factory.
>
> Ok sounds fine. In that case I would reopen the SR and do the changes
> in the next update as Shorewall is very active in terms of
> development and the next release will also enable me to remove some
> of the suse specific patches as they are now upstreamed

I've accepted the request now and look forward to your next update with
a few comments in it to not confuse me again ;)

Thanks!
Andreas

Re: RFC for SR 131525

Togan Muftuoglu-3
On 08/27/2012 11:30 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> I've accepted the request now and look forward to your next update with
> a few comments in it to not confuse me again ;)

Thanks Andreas, and I have already added the comment to the spec with a
link to this thread for future reference. So with the next update it
will be there ;)

Togan