RFC: Removing python-imaging from devel:languages:python

RFC: Removing python-imaging from devel:languages:python

todd rme
The python-imaging package (callled "Pil" upstream) has been
unmaintained for over 7.5 years.  It was never ported to python3.
Further, there is a generally drop-in-compatible fork, Pillow, that is
actively maintained and is compatible with Python3. On top of that its
name violates openSUSE python packaging guidelines (its proper name
should be "python-Pil").

I think it is time we go ahead and drop python-imaging entirely. All
packages are currently configured to use python-Pillow in place of
python-imaging. Further, python-imaging is not in openSUSE:Factory
while python-Pillow is.

I am a bit hesitant to drop unmaintained but still-functional python
packages, but in cases where there is a well-maintained drop-in
replacement like this I don't see a benefit to our users to keeping
it, while it wastes build cycles and can lead to confusion. And the
reason I am bringing this up now is because it is causing some build
conflicts related to the singlespec conversion.

However, there are a few home: packages that link to python-imaging.
If we drop the package, I want to give fair warning so anyone who
wants it can break the link and keep it themselves.

If there are no objections, I will delete the package in one week, on
Monday, May 29.

Re: RFC: Removing python-imaging from devel:languages:python

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
On Montag, 22. Mai 2017 11:34:20 Todd Rme wrote:

> The python-imaging package (callled "Pil" upstream) has been
> unmaintained for over 7.5 years.  It was never ported to python3.
> Further, there is a generally drop-in-compatible fork, Pillow, that is
> actively maintained and is compatible with Python3. On top of that its
> name violates openSUSE python packaging guidelines (its proper name
> should be "python-Pil").
>
> I think it is time we go ahead and drop python-imaging entirely. All
> packages are currently configured to use python-Pillow in place of
> python-imaging. Further, python-imaging is not in openSUSE:Factory
> while python-Pillow is.
>
> I am a bit hesitant to drop unmaintained but still-functional python
> packages, but in cases where there is a well-maintained drop-in
> replacement like this I don't see a benefit to our users to keeping
> it, while it wastes build cycles and can lead to confusion. And the
> reason I am bringing this up now is because it is causing some build
> conflicts related to the singlespec conversion.
>
> However, there are a few home: packages that link to python-imaging.
> If we drop the package, I want to give fair warning so anyone who
> wants it can break the link and keep it themselves.

+1

Removed mine... 4 to go ;)

Thanks for being so polite, Todd. Much appreciated.

> If there are no objections, I will delete the package in one week, on
> Monday, May 29.

Cheers,
Pete