RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
Hello everybody,

In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory

At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends on
ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.

Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
will be active on any given system).

What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.

And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
the display manager.

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Josef Reidinger-3
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:46:00 +0200
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
> ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory
>
> At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends
> on ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.
>
> Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
> an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
> will be active on any given system).
>
> What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
> distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
> lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
> couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.
>
> And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
> the display manager.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique
I am fine with it. I am already using LXDE with lightdm without
problems.

Josef

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Yamaban
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:46, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
> ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory
>
> At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends on
> ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.
>
> Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
> an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
> will be active on any given system).
>
> What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
> distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
> lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
> couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.
>
> And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
> the display manager.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

I've used lxdm in the past, before lightdm became a real useable
replacement. The "one thing" that made me switch to lightdm was
lxdm's dependence on ConsoleKit, as nothing else used it anymore.

Thus I'm for a replacement of lxdm with lightdm in the LXDE pattern.

Dropping lxdm from (Main-)Factory and Tumbleweed, per principe yes,
but how to implement this change?

Creating a 'Drop and Replace' package (lxdm to lightdm, remove ConsoleKit)?
Or just drop the package and leave the work to the users?

  - Yamaban.

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

jcsl
El miércoles, 27 de julio de 2016 10:46:00 (CEST) Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar escribió:

> Hello everybody,
>
> In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
> ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory
>
> At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends on
> ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.
>
> Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
> an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
> will be active on any given system).
>
> What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
> distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
> lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
> couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.
>
> And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
> the display manager.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

Hi.

LXDM can work with or without ConsoleKit. Indeed the version in X11:lxde is
built without ConsoleKit since April 2015.

        https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:lxde/lxdm/
lxdm.changes?expand=1

The officially released version (4.1) is prehistoric.

Greetings.

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Mathias Homann-2

Please don't decide this yet. I'm using "something other than GDM/KDM"
on my laptop, because it was the only thing that I could get to work
with 2 factor auth with google authentiocator. Can't get my hands on my
laptop for the next few hours to check what I'm actually using there but
it might be lxdm... will be able to check in the evening.

cheers

Mathias

On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 11:11 +0200, jcsl wrote:

> Hi.
>
> LXDM can work with or without ConsoleKit. Indeed the version in
> X11:lxde is
> built without ConsoleKit since April 2015.
>
>         https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:lxde/lxdm/
> lxdm.changes?expand=1
>
> The officially released version (4.1) is prehistoric.
Sure - I have to base my findings on the stuff I have in the distro -
and lxdm has a bad taste in my mouth as this was updated in the past
and reverted because it never worked on first boot... and the
maintainer's proposed 'just reboot - it works on 2nd boot' is still not
an acceptable situation for a distro...

So as we carry a pre-historic version anyway - I'd say dropping it is
the right thing to do

which leaves us with - how do we do it.

On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 11:04 +0200, Yamaban wrote:
> I've used lxdm in the past, before lightdm became a real useable
> replacement. The "one thing" that made me switch to lightdm was
> lxdm's dependence on ConsoleKit, as nothing else used it anymore.

Sp the same argument that lead me to propose its removal - we pull in
the same direction

> Thus I'm for a replacement of lxdm with lightdm in the LXDE pattern.

> Dropping lxdm from (Main-)Factory and Tumbleweed, per principe yes,
> but how to implement this change?

What's the difference between Factory and Tumbleweed? :) ok that's a
trick question.. there is no difference: the first was renamed to the
2nd in Nov 2014.

But the 'how' is certainly an interesting topic and I'm glad you bring
it up.

I would do the folllowing steps:
* change the lxde pattern (and install control files) to use lightdm
instead of lxdm
* obsolete lxdm by lightdm
* in lightdm's post script have it change the values in
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager: when it detects lxdm, switch it to
lightdm. That's very similar to what it does on install to ensure it
takes over from xdm.
* Delete lxdm from openSUSE:Factory
* Delete ConsoleKit from openSUSE:Factory (this will be auto-added to
the WeakRemove list of openSUSE-release, which is being interpreted on
zypper dup - the correct way to manage a Tumbleweed installation).

Feel free to extend this list of tasks if you see something I missed
(which is likely)

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

jcsl
El miércoles, 27 de julio de 2016 11:18:21 (CEST) Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar escribió:

> On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 11:11 +0200, jcsl wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > LXDM can work with or without ConsoleKit. Indeed the version in
> > X11:lxde is
> > built without ConsoleKit since April 2015.
> >
> >         https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:lxde/lxdm/
> > lxdm.changes?expand=1
> >
> > The officially released version (4.1) is prehistoric.
>
> Sure - I have to base my findings on the stuff I have in the distro -
> and lxdm has a bad taste in my mouth as this was updated in the past
> and reverted because it never worked on first boot... and the
> maintainer's proposed 'just reboot - it works on 2nd boot' is still not
> an acceptable situation for a distro...
>
> So as we carry a pre-historic version anyway - I'd say dropping it is
> the right thing to do
>
> which leaves us with - how do we do it.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

I don't use LXDE anymore, but I remember the issue. IIRC, LXDE has had new
releases after that and it could work now. Anyway, I only was pointing that
ConsoleKit is not needed by LXDM anymore. I don't mind if it is removed or
not, and LightDM is a good replacement if it is dropped.

Greetings.

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mercredi, 27 juillet 2016 11.16:45 h CEST Mathias Homann wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Please don't decide this yet. I'm using "something other than GDM/KDM"
> on my laptop, because it was the only thing that I could get to work
> with 2 factor auth with google authentiocator. Can't get my hands on my
> laptop for the next few hours to check what I'm actually using there but
> it might be lxdm... will be able to check in the evening.
>

> cheers
>
> Mathias

Do get to stressed, osc sr delete will have an sr which should be reviewed
then goes to openQA (see my ironic smile here) and then published.

In the meantime if you're not sure and have it installed and used on your
lappy you can still put a lock on it the time you test and start using
alternatives.

;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Dne středa 27. července 2016 11:18:21 CEST, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
napsal(a):

> On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 11:11 +0200, jcsl wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > LXDM can work with or without ConsoleKit. Indeed the version in
> > X11:lxde is
> > built without ConsoleKit since April 2015.
> >
> >         https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:lxde/lxdm/
> > lxdm.changes?expand=1
> >
> > The officially released version (4.1) is prehistoric.
>
> Sure - I have to base my findings on the stuff I have in the distro -
> and lxdm has a bad taste in my mouth as this was updated in the past
> and reverted because it never worked on first boot... and the
> maintainer's proposed 'just reboot - it works on 2nd boot' is still not
> an acceptable situation for a distro...
>
> So as we carry a pre-historic version anyway - I'd say dropping it is
> the right thing to do
>
> which leaves us with - how do we do it.
May I shift the thread a bit? I thought replacement of LXDE by LXQt is quickly
approaching. I tried the version from X11:LXQt on 42.1 and it was working
well. It is good choice for old netbooks and so on. So my question is what is
the current state of that replacement?
Sincerely.
Vojtěch

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.opensuse.org/
https://trapa.cz/

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Olaf Hering-2
Am 27.07.2016 um 11:24 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> * Delete lxdm from openSUSE:Factory

+delete the _link file in the devel prj.

Olaf

On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 13:17 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Am 27.07.2016 um 11:24 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> >
> > * Delete lxdm from openSUSE:Factory
>
> +delete the _link file in the devel prj.

No can do.

Cheers,
Dominique

(lxdm is already not linked in the devel prj, see https://build.opensus
e.org/package/show/X11:lxde/lxdm )

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Ludwig Nussel
Vojtěch Zeisek schrieb:

> Dne středa 27. července 2016 11:18:21 CEST, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
> napsal(a):
>> On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 11:11 +0200, jcsl wrote:
>>>
>>> LXDM can work with or without ConsoleKit. Indeed the version in
>>> X11:lxde is
>>> built without ConsoleKit since April 2015.
>>>
>>>         https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:lxde/lxdm/
>>> lxdm.changes?expand=1
>>>
>>> The officially released version (4.1) is prehistoric.
>>
>> Sure - I have to base my findings on the stuff I have in the distro -
>> and lxdm has a bad taste in my mouth as this was updated in the past
>> and reverted because it never worked on first boot... and the
>> maintainer's proposed 'just reboot - it works on 2nd boot' is still not
>> an acceptable situation for a distro...
>>
>> So as we carry a pre-historic version anyway - I'd say dropping it is
>> the right thing to do
>>
>> which leaves us with - how do we do it.
>
> May I shift the thread a bit? I thought replacement of LXDE by LXQt is quickly
> approaching. I tried the version from X11:LXQt on 42.1 and it was working
> well. It is good choice for old netbooks and so on. So my question is what is
> the current state of that replacement?

If it's going to be replaced does it make sense to promote LXDE as
desktop selection in the install still? How well maintained is it
anyways?

cu
Ludwig

--
  (o_   Ludwig Nussel
  //\

Dne středa 27. července 2016 17:31:52 CEST, Ludwig Nussel napsal(a):

> Vojtěch Zeisek schrieb:
> > Dne středa 27. července 2016 11:18:21 CEST, Dominique Leuenberger /
> > DimStar
> >
> > napsal(a):

> >> Sure - I have to base my findings on the stuff I have in the distro -
> >> and lxdm has a bad taste in my mouth as this was updated in the past
> >> and reverted because it never worked on first boot... and the
> >> maintainer's proposed 'just reboot - it works on 2nd boot' is still not
> >> an acceptable situation for a distro...
> >>
> >> So as we carry a pre-historic version anyway - I'd say dropping it is
> >> the right thing to do
> >>
> >> which leaves us with - how do we do it.
> >
> > May I shift the thread a bit? I thought replacement of LXDE by LXQt is
> > quickly approaching. I tried the version from X11:LXQt on 42.1 and it was
> > working well. It is good choice for old netbooks and so on. So my
> > question is what is the current state of that replacement?
>
> If it's going to be replaced does it make sense to promote LXDE as
> desktop selection in the install still? How well maintained is it
> anyways?
I'm not any insider and I'm unable to say anything about maintenance status.
But http://lxqt.org/about/ and https://en.opensuse.org/LXQT say it clearly, I
think. Wording at lxde.org is bit confusing in this aspect, I'd say, but newer
posts are about LxQt and there seems to be no new recent version of LXDE.
https://en.opensuse.org/LXDE also seems outdated. The development is slow, but
it works fine, I like it on netbook (otherwise I use KDE). See also https://
github.com/lxde Yes, I'd expect LXDE being replaced by LXQt in openSUSE. Am I
wrong?

Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2016, 11:16:45 schrieb Mathias Homann:
> Hi,
>

> Please don't decide this yet. I'm using "something other than GDM/KDM"
> on my laptop, because it was the only thing that I could get to work
> with 2 factor auth with google authentiocator. Can't get my hands on my
> laptop for the next few hours to check what I'm actually using there but
> it might be lxdm... will be able to check in the evening.

Checked: it's lightdm. I'm fine with removing lxdm in the future :)

Cheers
MH

On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 18:09 +0200, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:

> I'm not any insider and I'm unable to say anything about maintenance
> status.
> But http://lxqt.org/about/ and https://en.opensuse.org/LXQT say it
> clearly, I
> think. Wording at lxde.org is bit confusing in this aspect, I'd say,
> but newer
> posts are about LxQt and there seems to be no new recent version of
> LXDE.
> https://en.opensuse.org/LXDE also seems outdated. The development is
> slow, but
> it works fine, I like it on netbook (otherwise I use KDE). See also
> https://
> github.com/lxde Yes, I'd expect LXDE being replaced by LXQt in
> openSUSE. Am I
> wrong?
LXQt is indeed going to replace LXDE, that's out of question... just it
seems:
* The LXQt maintainers do not consider it ready for prime use
* The LXDE Maintainers have not more interest beyond: it works for now.

Which is exactly why my post was about removing LXDM and not LXDE. Of
course LXDM is a 'part' of LXDE, but the DE can very well be started
from another DM - and removing lxdm allows us to finally also get rid
of ConsoleKit. Frankly speaking, I'm not even sure if CK even still
does what it was supposed to do originally.

In Tumbleweed, LXDE and LXQt are available for installation (and both
are minimally tested in openQA).

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Ondřej Súkup
Hi all,

I don't think Lightdm is good substitute for lxdm ... Lightdm upstream
is going toward to Mir.
without any focus for XOrg or Wayland

On 27 July 2016 at 18:30, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-07-27 at 18:09 +0200, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
>>
>> I'm not any insider and I'm unable to say anything about maintenance
>> status.
>> But http://lxqt.org/about/ and https://en.opensuse.org/LXQT say it
>> clearly, I
>> think. Wording at lxde.org is bit confusing in this aspect, I'd say,
>> but newer
>> posts are about LxQt and there seems to be no new recent version of
>> LXDE.
>> https://en.opensuse.org/LXDE also seems outdated. The development is
>> slow, but
>> it works fine, I like it on netbook (otherwise I use KDE). See also
>> https://
>> github.com/lxde Yes, I'd expect LXDE being replaced by LXQt in
>> openSUSE. Am I
>> wrong?
>
> LXQt is indeed going to replace LXDE, that's out of question... just it
> seems:
> * The LXQt maintainers do not consider it ready for prime use
> * The LXDE Maintainers have not more interest beyond: it works for now.
>
> Which is exactly why my post was about removing LXDM and not LXDE. Of
> course LXDM is a 'part' of LXDE, but the DE can very well be started
> from another DM - and removing lxdm allows us to finally also get rid
> of ConsoleKit. Frankly speaking, I'm not even sure if CK even still
> does what it was supposed to do originally.
>
> In Tumbleweed, LXDE and LXQt are available for installation (and both
> are minimally tested in openQA).
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

emanuel
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:46:00 AM PDT Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
> ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory
>
> At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends on
> ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.
>
> Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
> an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
> will be active on any given system).
>
> What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
> distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
> lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
> couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.
>
> And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
> the display manager.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

+1 @dimstar

I thought LXDE was deprecated by LXQT?

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Simon Lees-3

On 07/28/2016 05:43 AM, Ondřej Súkup wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't think Lightdm is good substitute for lxdm ... Lightdm upstream
> is going toward to Mir.
> without any focus for XOrg or Wayland

5 minutes of googling lead me to
http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/lightdm-mir-wayland which clearly
states while Canonical is a major contributor they are not the main
upstream author and the main upstream author has indicated that he's
working towards wayland.

Currently the Enlightenment, XFCE and Mate patterns all install lightdm
so if it were to break under X11 and upstream had no plan to fix it
there would be bigger issues to sort out. The fact that all the other
similar smaller DE's are also using lightdm at the moment on the other
hand makes for a pretty good reason to swap. LXQt is still using XDM but
i'll chat to the maintainer about swapping to lightdm as well, having a
Qt based lightdm greater that didn't pull in the kde stack as
dependencies would probably help here as well.

At some point in the not to distant future i'll start looking at
enlightenment + wayland and that might lead me on a path to see if there
are other lighter display managers that already support wayland if
lightdm doesn't or if there isn't and lightdm is close i'll probably
just be lazy and use gdm in the interim.

If you hadn't guessed yet I have no issues with removing lxdm.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                            Adeliade Australia, UTC+9:30

Re: RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed

Felix Miata-3
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar composed on 2016-07-27 10:46 (UTC+0200):

> In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
> ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory

> At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends on
> ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.

> Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
> an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
> will be active on any given system).

> What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
> distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
> lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
> couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.

> And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
> the display manager.

FWIW, only two login managers suit my needs:

        kdm[3,4]
        tdm

Primary reason this is so is that none other I have found permit to specify
directly in its configfile which users shall be displayed in its greeter list.

That aside, as KDE3 is missing from repos, I installed 42.1's TDE and TDM in
my only 42.2 installation. They _seem_ to do just fine.

Wanting something "official" to use in 42.2 besides IceWM, not liking the
only of the KDE-like choice, and having seen mention of
https://en.opensuse.org/LXQT today, I decided to try it (only for the second
time ever). I followed its instruction: zypper in -t pattern LXQt. That
generated an error message. Turns out the actual pattern is all lower case.
31 packages were installed so spelling it.

TDE seems as though it may be a competent launcher for LXQT, but as this
installation presents to me the same response as my other attempt long ago, I
don't know if it's producing what it should:

"Welcome to LXQt. Please select your default Window Manager:
        Other... Choose your favorite one.
You will be able to change..."

What exactly am I looking at here? If I select "Other..." and hit OK, a file
picker opens /usr/bin. What exactly is one supposed to do at this point? IOW,
what exactly is LXQt supposed to be (as compared to KDE3 or TDE for context)?

As I didn't have a clue, I found starttde and selected it, then chose it in
the greeter to log into. That apparently launched a TDE session inside a LXQt
session, a normal TDE session except with an extra taskbar at the screen
bottom. I exited the TDE session, and was left with what looks like what I
expected a LXQt session to look like, a taskbar, a blank desktop, and a
working menu chock full of the same apps and utils I'm used to seeing in KDE
and TDE.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/