RFC: Relocation of /vad/adm/fillup-templates

RFC: Relocation of /vad/adm/fillup-templates

Richard Brown
Hello Packagers,

As part of my ongoing efforts to simplify our /var subvolume
complexity, the next target on my list is /var/adm/fillup-templates

As they are not variable data (meaning they shouldn't be in /var at
all) nor log data (meaning they shouldn't be in /var/adm), I wish to
relocate all of these fillup-templates to /usr/share/fillup-templates

This will of course require changes in a lot of .spec files

Therefore I am doing my best to make the transition as painless as
possible for both our users and packages

I am proposing changing the fillup macros (eg. %fillup_only,
%fillup_and_insserv) to use both the new location, and if a template
is not found in the new location then fallback to the old location.

This means while obviously I would like to see this transition be as
short as possible, we will not _need_ to move every specfile reference
to /var/adm/fillup-templates in one coordinated jump

The new path of /usr/share/fillup-templates will be implemented as a
new rpm macro called %_fillupdir

Once the macro is present in our rpm package, packagers will need to
replace references to /var/adm/fillup-templates with %_fillupdir

I will announce when this is the case in both this list and -factory;
You can also expect me to contribute a significant number of the
changes to packages myself, but I can't do it all alone, so your help
will be GREATLY appreciated.

OBS Project administrators who want to continue support building
packages referencing this macro in versions of our distributions that
don't carry it in their rpm package will need to add the following to
their OBS PrjConf:

%if ! %{defined _fillupdir}
  %define _fillupdir /var/adm/fillup-templates
%endif

This will allow those packages to build on those older distributions,
as they do today, using the old /var/adm/fillup-templates location

The proposed rpm macro and filesystem changes are currently visible in
my home project here:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/rdiff/home:RBrownSUSE:branches:Base:System/rpm?opackage=rpm&oproject=Base%3ASystem&rev=9

https://build.opensuse.org/package/rdiff/home:RBrownSUSE:branches:Base:System/filesystem?opackage=filesystem&oproject=Base%3ASystem&rev=2

Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, or most importantly, well
reasoned objections before I submit these to Base:System and get this
ball moving?

Re: RFC: Relocation of /vad/adm/fillup-templates

Olaf Hering-2
On Wed, Nov 08, Richard Brown wrote:

> OBS Project administrators who want to continue support building
> packages referencing this macro in versions of our distributions that
> don't carry it in their rpm package will need to add the following to
> their OBS PrjConf:
>
> %if ! %{defined _fillupdir}
>   %define _fillupdir /var/adm/fillup-templates
> %endif

Since this change affects a large number of pkgs in many devel prjs, and
likely many other prjs, shouldnt that define be added to the prjconf of
every base-prj, like openSUSE:Leap:42.2/3, openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12?
That way it would be globally available right away, with the correct
value and syntax.

Olaf

Re: RFC: Relocation of /vad/adm/fillup-templates

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 17:09 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, Richard Brown wrote:
>
> > OBS Project administrators who want to continue support building
> > packages referencing this macro in versions of our distributions
> > that
> > don't carry it in their rpm package will need to add the following
> > their OBS PrjConf:
> >
> > %if ! %{defined _fillupdir}
> >   %define _fillupdir /var/adm/fillup-templates
> > %endif
>
> Since this change affects a large number of pkgs in many devel prjs,
> and
> likely many other prjs, shouldnt that define be added to the prjconf
> of
> every base-prj, like openSUSE:Leap:42.2/3, openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12?
> That way it would be globally available right away, with the correct
> value and syntax.
Those are finished/released products and I'd really oppose to changing
their configuration in any way.

The "if ! defined…" either goes to a devel prj that actually cares for
this to be working on old distros or directly in the package (btw: it's
not THAT many packages; I think I counted something like ~200)

Cheers
Dominique

Re: RFC: Relocation of /vad/adm/fillup-templates

Richard Brown
On 8 November 2017 at 17:14, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 17:09 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:

>> Since this change affects a large number of pkgs in many devel prjs,
>> and
>> likely many other prjs, shouldnt that define be added to the prjconf
>> of
>> every base-prj, like openSUSE:Leap:42.2/3, openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12?
>> That way it would be globally available right away, with the correct
>> value and syntax.
>
> Those are finished/released products and I'd really oppose to changing
> their configuration in any way.

I agree

> The "if ! defined…" either goes to a devel prj that actually cares for
> this to be working on old distros or directly in the package (btw: it's
> not THAT many packages; I think I counted something like ~200)

207 to be exact

Re: RFC: Relocation of /vad/adm/fillup-templates

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mercredi, 8 novembre 2017 17.20:10 h CET Richard Brown wrote:

> On 8 November 2017 at 17:14, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-11-08 at 17:09 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> >> Since this change affects a large number of pkgs in many devel prjs,
> >> and
> >> likely many other prjs, shouldnt that define be added to the prjconf
> >> of
> >> every base-prj, like openSUSE:Leap:42.2/3, openSUSE:Backports:SLE-12?
> >> That way it would be globally available right away, with the correct
> >> value and syntax.
> >
> > Those are finished/released products and I'd really oppose to changing
> > their configuration in any way.
>
> I agree
>
> > The "if ! defined…" either goes to a devel prj that actually cares for
> > this to be working on old distros or directly in the package (btw: it's
> > not THAT many packages; I think I counted something like ~200)
>
> 207 to be exact

If you have the exact sum, could you please also publish the list of all of
them either on wiki or in the official introduction announce. I guess it
should help and make it easier for packager to find their own baby and push
adequate correction.

Thanks.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Sure, here's the list at the moment: http://paste.opensuse.org/32867076

On Thu, Nov 09, Richard Brown wrote:

> Sure, here's the list at the moment: http://paste.opensuse.org/32867076

71 devel prjs to be changed:

cut -f 1 -d / ${list} | xargs -n1 obs dp openSUSE:Factory | sort -u

Olaf

On 9 November 2017 at 17:01, Olaf Hering <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, Richard Brown wrote:
>
>> Sure, here's the list at the moment: http://paste.opensuse.org/32867076
>
> 71 devel prjs to be changed:
>
> cut -f 1 -d / ${list} | xargs -n1 obs dp openSUSE:Factory | sort -u

Alternatively the .spec files could carry the compat definition
themselves I guess.. why change your devel project if only 2-3 spec
files in your project will be impacted by it

That's something we can leave to package maintainers I guess

On jeudi, 9 novembre 2017 17.44:29 h CET Richard Brown wrote:

> On 9 November 2017 at 17:01, Olaf Hering <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 09, Richard Brown wrote:
> >> Sure, here's the list at the moment: http://paste.opensuse.org/32867076
> >
> > 71 devel prjs to be changed:
> >
> > cut -f 1 -d / ${list} | xargs -n1 obs dp openSUSE:Factory | sort -u
>
> Alternatively the .spec files could carry the compat definition
> themselves I guess.. why change your devel project if only 2-3 spec
> files in your project will be impacted by it
>
> That's something we can leave to package maintainers I guess

Ok one of my pet (shorewall), is now going to travel to Factory with the
compat def included inside the spec

Let see what I've done right and not ;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

On 16 November 2017 at 18:47, Bruno Friedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On jeudi, 9 novembre 2017 17.44:29 h CET Richard Brown wrote:
>> >
>> > 71 devel prjs to be changed:
>> >
>> > cut -f 1 -d / ${list} | xargs -n1 obs dp openSUSE:Factory | sort -u
>>
>> Alternatively the .spec files could carry the compat definition
>> themselves I guess.. why change your devel project if only 2-3 spec
>> files in your project will be impacted by it
>>
>> That's something we can leave to package maintainers I guess
>
> Ok one of my pet (shorewall), is now going to travel to Factory with the
> compat def included inside the spec
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/542468
>
> Let see what I've done right and not ;-)

Looks good to me - more robust than I expect most changes will be
because you're including the compat def instead the spec ;)

As no one has objected, my submissions to define the _fillupdir macro
in Tumbleweed with the path /usr/share/fillup-templates, and the
related filesystem package change to create that path, are both now on
the way to Factory

I'm adding documentation to the wiki for the new path as soon as I
send this, and as promised will announce to here and -factory when
packagers *need* to start changing their specfiles

But if anyone wants to get ahead of the game and follow Bruno's lead,
I think that would be really cool :)