Question for license

Eric Schirra-3
Hello,

I have an request for package lazarus.
And in this request is an exclude for aggpas/gpc on the grounds that license
is proplematic.
In decription of license is called "not for commercial product" but free for
non-commercial-use.

Here is the page:

http://crossgl.com/aggpas/aggpas-licence.htm
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software/

And text from copying.txt:

Copyright: (C) 1997-1999, Advanced Interfaces Group,
           University of Manchester.

           This software is free for non-commercial use. It may be copied,
           modified, and redistributed provided that this copyright notice
           is preserved on all copies. The intellectual property rights of
           the algorithms used reside with the University of Manchester
           Advanced Interfaces Group.

           You may not use this software, in whole or in part, in support
           of any commercial product without the express consent of the
           author.

           There is no warranty or other guarantee of fitness of this
           software for any purpose. It is provided solely "as is".

Can this now deliver in package or must it exclude?

Can someone from suse help me?

--

Gruß
 eRiC

Re: Question for license

Bruno Friedmann-2
On dimanche, 12 février 2017 12.36:22 h CET Eric Schirra wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an request for package lazarus.
> And in this request is an exclude for aggpas/gpc on the grounds that license
> is proplematic.
> In decription of license is called "not for commercial product" but free for
> non-commercial-use.
>

> Here is the page:
>
> http://crossgl.com/aggpas/aggpas-licence.htm
> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software/
>
> And text from copying.txt:
>
> Copyright: (C) 1997-1999, Advanced Interfaces Group,
>            University of Manchester.
>
>            This software is free for non-commercial use. It may be copied,
>            modified, and redistributed provided that this copyright notice
>            is preserved on all copies. The intellectual property rights of
>            the algorithms used reside with the University of Manchester
>            Advanced Interfaces Group.
>
>            You may not use this software, in whole or in part, in support
>            of any commercial product without the express consent of the
>            author.
>
>            There is no warranty or other guarantee of fitness of this
>            software for any purpose. It is provided solely "as is".
>

> Can this now deliver in package or must it exclude?
>
> Can someone from suse help me?

Hi Eric,

The license being 18 years old, it could be interesting (but certainly not
easy) to convince the author group to relicense this to a more apropriate know
spdx.org license.
Otherwise, getting an express consent to be able to have it for openSUSE, then
SUSE, then MicroFocus, and future HPE :-)

I'm afraid in other case the software will not be publishable on obs (but I'm
not a layer).

If I remember correctly there's a legal position into bugzilla.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

> On dimanche, 12 février 2017 12.36:22 h CET Eric Schirra wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an request for package lazarus.
> > And in this request is an exclude for aggpas/gpc on the grounds that license
> > is proplematic.
> > In decription of license is called "not for commercial product" but free for
> > non-commercial-use.
> >

> > Here is the page:
> >
> > http://crossgl.com/aggpas/aggpas-licence.htm
> > http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software/
> >
> > And text from copying.txt:
> >
> > Copyright: (C) 1997-1999, Advanced Interfaces Group,
> >            University of Manchester.
> >
> >            This software is free for non-commercial use. It may be copied,
> >            modified, and redistributed provided that this copyright notice
> >            is preserved on all copies. The intellectual property rights of
> >            the algorithms used reside with the University of Manchester
> >            Advanced Interfaces Group.
> >
> >            You may not use this software, in whole or in part, in support
> >            of any commercial product without the express consent of the
> >            author.
> >
> >            There is no warranty or other guarantee of fitness of this
> >            software for any purpose. It is provided solely "as is".
> >

> > Can this now deliver in package or must it exclude?
> >
> > Can someone from suse help me?
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> The license being 18 years old, it could be interesting (but certainly not
> easy) to convince the author group to relicense this to a more apropriate know
> spdx.org license.
> Otherwise, getting an express consent to be able to have it for openSUSE, then
> SUSE, then MicroFocus, and future HPE :-)
>
> I'm afraid in other case the software will not be publishable on obs (but I'm
> not a layer).
>
> If I remember correctly there's a legal position into bugzilla.

If you submit it to factory, a legal counsellor will review the license.

Re: Question for license

Eric Schirra-3
Am 2017-02-12 18:48, schrieb Bruno Friedmann:

> On dimanche, 12 février 2017 12.36:22 h CET Eric Schirra wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an request for package lazarus.
>> And in this request is an exclude for aggpas/gpc on the grounds that
>> license
>> is proplematic.
>> In decription of license is called "not for commercial product" but
>> free for
>> non-commercial-use.
>>

>> Here is the page:
>>
>> http://crossgl.com/aggpas/aggpas-licence.htm
>> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software/
>>
>> And text from copying.txt:
>>
>> Copyright: (C) 1997-1999, Advanced Interfaces Group,
>>            University of Manchester.
>>
>>            This software is free for non-commercial use. It may be
>> copied,
>>            modified, and redistributed provided that this copyright
>> notice
>>            is preserved on all copies. The intellectual property
>> rights of
>>            the algorithms used reside with the University of
>> Manchester
>>            Advanced Interfaces Group.
>>
>>            You may not use this software, in whole or in part, in
>> support
>>            of any commercial product without the express consent of
>> the
>>            author.
>>
>>            There is no warranty or other guarantee of fitness of this
>>            software for any purpose. It is provided solely "as is".
>>

>> Can this now deliver in package or must it exclude?
>>
>> Can someone from suse help me?
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> The license being 18 years old, it could be interesting (but certainly
> not
> easy) to convince the author group to relicense this to a more
> apropriate know
> spdx.org license.
> Otherwise, getting an express consent to be able to have it for
> openSUSE, then
> SUSE, then MicroFocus, and future HPE :-)
>
> I'm afraid in other case the software will not be publishable on obs
> (but I'm
> not a layer).
>
> If I remember correctly there's a legal position into bugzilla.

Does it adequate only exclude SLES?

--
Regards
         Eric

Re: Question for license

Bruno Friedmann-2
On lundi, 13 février 2017 12.06:05 h CET Eric Schirra wrote:

> Am 2017-02-12 18:48, schrieb Bruno Friedmann:
> > On dimanche, 12 février 2017 12.36:22 h CET Eric Schirra wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have an request for package lazarus.
> >> And in this request is an exclude for aggpas/gpc on the grounds that
> >> license
> >> is proplematic.
> >> In decription of license is called "not for commercial product" but
> >> free for
> >> non-commercial-use.
> >>

> >> Here is the page:
> >>
> >> http://crossgl.com/aggpas/aggpas-licence.htm
> >> http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/aig/staff/alan/software/
> >>
> >> And text from copying.txt:
> >>
> >> Copyright: (C) 1997-1999, Advanced Interfaces Group,
> >>
> >>            University of Manchester.
> >>
> >>            This software is free for non-commercial use. It may be
> >>
> >> copied,
> >>
> >>            modified, and redistributed provided that this copyright
> >>
> >> notice
> >>
> >>            is preserved on all copies. The intellectual property
> >>
> >> rights of
> >>
> >>            the algorithms used reside with the University of
> >>
> >> Manchester
> >>
> >>            Advanced Interfaces Group.
> >>
> >>            You may not use this software, in whole or in part, in
> >>
> >> support
> >>
> >>            of any commercial product without the express consent of
> >>
> >> the
> >>
> >>            author.
> >>
> >>            There is no warranty or other guarantee of fitness of this
> >>            software for any purpose. It is provided solely "as is".
> >>
> >> Can this now deliver in package or must it exclude?
> >>
> >> Can someone from suse help me?
> >
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > The license being 18 years old, it could be interesting (but certainly
> > not
> > easy) to convince the author group to relicense this to a more
> > apropriate know
> > spdx.org license.
> > Otherwise, getting an express consent to be able to have it for
> > openSUSE, then
> > SUSE, then MicroFocus, and future HPE :-)
> >
> > I'm afraid in other case the software will not be publishable on obs
> > (but I'm
> > not a layer).
> >
> > If I remember correctly there's a legal position into bugzilla.
>
> Does it adequate only exclude SLES?

Nope as I can do commercial things with openSUSE too ... then having this kind
of package would void this usage.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: Question for license

Eric Schirra-3
Am 2017-02-13 12:56, schrieb Bruno Friedmann:

> On lundi, 13 février 2017 12.06:05 h CET Eric Schirra wrote:

>> > Hi Eric,
>> >
>> > The license being 18 years old, it could be interesting (but certainly
>> > not
>> > easy) to convince the author group to relicense this to a more
>> > apropriate know
>> > spdx.org license.
>> > Otherwise, getting an express consent to be able to have it for
>> > openSUSE, then
>> > SUSE, then MicroFocus, and future HPE :-)
>> >
>> > I'm afraid in other case the software will not be publishable on obs
>> > (but I'm
>> > not a layer).
>> >
>> > If I remember correctly there's a legal position into bugzilla.
>>
>> Does it adequate only exclude SLES?
>
> Nope as I can do commercial things with openSUSE too ... then having
> this kind
> of package would void this usage.

Okay.
Thank you for your explanation.
I have accapted the request.
And so the problematic component is excluded.

--
Regards
         Eric

Re: Question for license

Ludwig Nussel
Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> [...]
> Nope as I can do commercial things with openSUSE too ... then having this kind
> of package would void this usage.

It could be ok for the :NonFree repo though. Legal review will
tell that on submit requests.

cu
Ludwig

--