Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Peter Suetterlin
Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2017-01-06 23:14, pit wrote:

> > Amazing, where did you get this from?  It's not even in the manpage...
>
> No? I didn't look, I thought it was.
>
> I knew about it because some one mentioned it here, about when it had
> been invented and was experimental. There has been much recent talk
> about that switch in the factory mail list. There is also an option in
> the config file to make it the default.
>
> Huh, yes, it is in man zypper:
>
>      --[no-]allow-vendor-change
>          Whether to allow changing the vendor of installed resolvables
>          [zypp.conf:solver.dupAllowVendorChange]. Setting this to no
>          might be useful if you do not want packages from foreign repos
>          being dup’ed to the distributions version (or vice versa).

Bummer.  My bad.  The [] messed up my search - I didn't read through all the
2500 lines of text. Some things hide well even if you almost know the exact
name... :(

Cheers,

  Pit

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-01-07 19:42, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> * Carlos E. R. <> [01-07-17 12:53]:
>

>>> Otherwise, switch to another news reader. I use Thunderbird, it is
>>> very good. Another one is 'Pan'.
>>
>> and commandline, slrn
>
> Few /common/ people would like that one :-P

Thanks for the suggestions - TB is probably the most likely
alternative, but I'll have to try out 'Pan' too. For the time being,
we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
(scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.1°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Per Jessen <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 03:54]:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
> > On 2017-01-07 19:42, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >> * Carlos E. R. <> [01-07-17 12:53]:

> >> and commandline, slrn
> >
> > Few /common/ people would like that one :-P

I don't know why other than the default key combinations are *different*,
It is configurable and has good function.

> Thanks for the suggestions - TB is probably the most likely
> alternative, but I'll have to try out 'Pan' too. For the time being,
> we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
> (scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.

I don't believe pan is available anymore.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Anton Aylward-2
On 01/07/2017 12:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2017-01-07 18:01, Per Jessen wrote:
>>[...]  We funnel all kinds of info
>> and job output into innd, this makes it easy to manage and accessible
>> from virtually everywhere, with knode.  [...]

> Oh, that's complicated, then.

I don't think so.
INN is an old and very straight forward, robust and reliable
technology/protocol, and thank you Henry Spenser and Jeff Colyier for an
excellent implementation and set of C libraries.  The use of INN as a
domain-closed information source, even a ticketing system, has a long history.
it's flood-fill algorithm reduces redundancy and is more effective, both in
terms of distribution speed and reliability than IM/SMS.

> Otherwise, switch to another news reader. I use Thunderbird, it is very
> good. Another one is 'Pan'.

well, yes, there is that.
Part of the whole matter is that like email, that is real
SMTP/IMAP/POP/MBOX/MDIR email, not the gmail type "its really a database" email,
the medium and storage is independent of the reader.

--
         A: Yes.

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Per Jessen <[hidden email]> [01-08-17 03:54]:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> > Few /common/ people would like that one :-P
>
> I don't know why other than the default key combinations are
> *different*, It is configurable and has good function.
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions - TB is probably the most likely
>> alternative, but I'll have to try out 'Pan' too. For the time being,
>> we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
>> (scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.
>
> I don't believe pan is available anymore.

It is still available, I've just installed it on a leap422 test system.
It was left to mature since 2012, but picked up again in early 2016.
The interface looks a lot like knode, except for the list mamagement.

First impression - looks good. Thanks for the suggestion, Carlos.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.3°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

On 2017-01-08 14:39, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Per Jessen <> [01-08-17 03:54]:

>>> Few /common/ people would like that one :-P
>
> I don't know why other than the default key combinations are *different*,
> It is configurable and has good function.

/I/ find it cumbersome, even compared to Pine, which I use daily.

Pine also has a news client. This time the interface is familiar, but it
has a big problem when compared to GUI clients: it does not remember
what posts one has read.

This is not a bug, it is intentional. Or a consequence. On mail, an imap
account, the server keeps track of read email by the client. But on nttp
the server does not. Thus Pine does not track them, can't track them
because there is no local cache of the news posts.

The devs told me to mark those mails as deleted, but doing that the news
posts disappear from view and I can't read them again.

I believe slrn does the same thing.

And this thing invalidates these clients for normal usage, unless you
happen to like that behavior.

>> Thanks for the suggestions - TB is probably the most likely
>> alternative, but I'll have to try out 'Pan' too. For the time being,
>> we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
>> (scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.
>
> I don't believe pan is available anymore.

It runs here, just tried.

Printing in Leap 42.2 [Was: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update]

On 2017-01-08 09:52, Per Jessen wrote:
> For the time being,
> we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
> (scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.

What are those issues?

I have noticed that on 42.2 cups uses PDF as the format for print
instead of postscript. What I don't understand is exactly what happens
when the printer (the machine) language is ps. It (cups) either
translates to ps, or uses ps directly.

I wonder how to find out the exact chain in one machine, and whether I
can tell LO (for instance) to print as postscript as default, as in the
past.

What I have read in the suggested material in the 42.2 release notes
indicates that PDF is not a single format, and that there are
unsupported features. Thus I do not understand why it was chosen as
default format.

On 2017-01-08 14:47, Anton Aylward wrote:

> On 01/07/2017 12:52 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2017-01-07 18:01, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> [...]  We funnel all kinds of info
>>> and job output into innd, this makes it easy to manage and accessible
>>> from virtually everywhere, with knode.  [...]
>
>> Oh, that's complicated, then.
>
> I don't think so.
> INN is an old and very straight forward, robust and reliable
> technology/protocol, and thank you Henry Spenser and Jeff Colyier for an
> excellent implementation and set of C libraries.  The use of INN as a
> domain-closed information source, even a ticketing system, has a long history.
> it's flood-fill algorithm reduces redundancy and is more effective, both in
> terms of distribution speed and reliability than IM/SMS.
What I said that was complicated was my idea of using a machine or
virtual machine running 42.1 in order to ssh to it and run knode on 42.2
machines.

Context ;-)

On 2017-01-08 08:57, pit wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2017-01-06 23:14, pit wrote:
>
>>> Amazing, where did you get this from?  It's not even in the manpage...
>>
>> No? I didn't look, I thought it was.
>>
>> I knew about it because some one mentioned it here, about when it had
>> been invented and was experimental. There has been much recent talk
>> about that switch in the factory mail list. There is also an option in
>> the config file to make it the default.
>>
>> Huh, yes, it is in man zypper:
>>
>>      --[no-]allow-vendor-change
>>          Whether to allow changing the vendor of installed resolvables
>>          [zypp.conf:solver.dupAllowVendorChange]. Setting this to no
>>          might be useful if you do not want packages from foreign repos
>>          being dup’ed to the distributions version (or vice versa).
>
> Bummer.  My bad.  The [] messed up my search - I didn't read through all the
> 2500 lines of text. Some things hide well even if you almost know the exact
> name... :(
I searched for "vendor" ;-)

Yes, it is true, searching for the exact hit fails. Curious failure mode ;-)

Re: Printing in Leap 42.2 [Was: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update]

Per Jessen
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-01-08 09:52, Per Jessen wrote:
>> For the time being,
>> we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
>> (scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.
>
> What are those issues?

scanning - psychedelic colours - bug#905034
printing - wrong size - bug#1015478
network -  wireless - bug#1012299
(our new laptops have this issue, but I have not tried them with 13.2).
firefox -  bug#1011196
sddm crash - bug#954581  (maybe disappeared or resolved, I'm not sure).
graphics - actually, for the primary desktops, there is no problem, it's
only with certain graphics cards.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-2.8°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

Re: Printing in Leap 42.2 [Was: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update]

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2017-01-09 08:28, Per Jessen wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On 2017-01-08 09:52, Per Jessen wrote:
>>> For the time being,
>>> we'll remain on 13.1 and 13.2 - leap42x has other unsolved issues
>>> (scanning, printing, graphics) that means we can't move up.
>>
>> What are those issues?
>
> scanning - psychedelic colours - bug#905034
> printing - wrong size - bug#1015478
> network -  wireless - bug#1012299
> (our new laptops have this issue, but I have not tried them with 13.2).
> firefox -  bug#1011196
> sddm crash - bug#954581  (maybe disappeared or resolved, I'm not sure).
> graphics - actually, for the primary desktops, there is no problem, it's
> only with certain graphics cards.
Oh :-(

Now that I see the list, I hit recently a post of someone somewhere
mentioning problems printing with the printer on WiFi, not on cable. Is
that the one? If so, I'll have to locate the post and tell him.

I'll have to review that list later.

On 2017-01-09 15:25, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2017-01-09 08:28, Per Jessen wrote:

>> network -  wireless - bug#1012299
>> (our new laptops have this issue, but I have not tried them with 13.2).

> Oh :-(
>
> Now that I see the list, I hit recently a post of someone somewhere
> mentioning problems printing with the printer on WiFi, not on cable. Is
> that the one? If so, I'll have to locate the post and tell him.
>
> I'll have to review that list later.

No, it doesn't seem related, but I'll tell him anyway.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-01-09 08:28, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> What are those issues?
>>
>> scanning - psychedelic colours - bug#905034
>> printing - wrong size - bug#1015478
>> network -  wireless - bug#1012299
>> (our new laptops have this issue, but I have not tried them with
>> 13.2).
>> firefox -  bug#1011196
>> sddm crash - bug#954581  (maybe disappeared or resolved, I'm not
>> sure). graphics - actually, for the primary desktops, there is no
>> problem, it's only with certain graphics cards.
>
> Oh :-(
>
> Now that I see the list, I hit recently a post of someone somewhere
> mentioning problems printing with the printer on WiFi, not on cable.
> Is that the one? If so, I'll have to locate the post and tell him.

The wifi issue has to do with rfkill being on after startup or resume, I
believe.  It looks like NetworkManager understands it, but wicked
doesn't.