Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

stakanov
The machine has several repos aktivated (that are as it seems available in their 42.2 version).
It has Nivida proprietary driver and is 64 bit.

Is it sufficient to run zypper dup with all corresponding repos changed to have a soft migration experience?
Where do I run it? In a window or in tty1?
Before restarting, should I run manually mkinitrd or should this be automatic after install?
Thank you in advance.

---
Die Bundesliga hat begonnen! Alle Tore, alle Ergebnisse, alle News: Pocket Liga jetzt im https://app.adjust.com/dpynzd oder https://app.adjust.com/dpynzd herunterladen - kostenlos!

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Peter Suetterlin
[hidden email] wrote:
> The machine has several repos aktivated (that are as it seems available in their 42.2 version).
> It has Nivida proprietary driver and is 64 bit.
>
> Is it sufficient to run zypper dup with all corresponding repos changed to have a soft migration experience?
> Where do I run it? In a window or in tty1?
> Before restarting, should I run manually mkinitrd or should this be automatic after install?
> Thank you in advance.

Just did this with my HTPC.  The nvidia stuff went perfectly w/o trouble,
i.e., no additional mkinitrd/dracut stuff needed, but a lot of the multimedia
stuff was switched back from packman to openSUSE repos - guess they had lower
version numbers in packman?  After running an additional 'zypper dup -r
packman-essential -r packman-multimedia' (with careful check what exactly will
be switched) the computer is running as fine as before :)

I ran it in a remote ssh session.  Doesn't really matter.

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2016-12-03 13:38, pit wrote:

> Just did this with my HTPC.  The nvidia stuff went perfectly w/o trouble,
> i.e., no additional mkinitrd/dracut stuff needed, but a lot of the multimedia
> stuff was switched back from packman to openSUSE repos - guess they had lower
> version numbers in packman?

Try, next time:

zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

> I ran it in a remote ssh session.  Doesn't really matter.

a bit risky...

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2016-12-03 13:38, pit wrote:
>
> > Just did this with my HTPC.  The nvidia stuff went perfectly w/o trouble,
> > i.e., no additional mkinitrd/dracut stuff needed, but a lot of the multimedia
> > stuff was switched back from packman to openSUSE repos - guess they had lower
> > version numbers in packman?
>
> Try, next time:
>
> zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

Amazing, where did you get this from?  It's not even in the manpage...

But yes, that indeed works much smoother, I just tried it with another
upgrade.

> > I ran it in a remote ssh session.  Doesn't really matter.
>
> a bit risky...

Not really, as long as the machine is in doubt reachable with STMP:
Simple Turnschuh Management Protocol
(for non-germans:  Turnschuh = sports shoe; i.e., run over there to fix
things...)

It's just that the respective machines don't have monitor/keyboard connected,
and I'm a quite lazy person :D

Thanks again,

  Pit

On 2017-01-06 23:14, pit wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2016-12-03 13:38, pit wrote:
>>
>>> Just did this with my HTPC.  The nvidia stuff went perfectly w/o trouble,
>>> i.e., no additional mkinitrd/dracut stuff needed, but a lot of the multimedia
>>> stuff was switched back from packman to openSUSE repos - guess they had lower
>>> version numbers in packman?
>>
>> Try, next time:
>>
>> zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change
>
> Amazing, where did you get this from?  It's not even in the manpage...
No? I didn't look, I thought it was.

I knew about it because some one mentioned it here, about when it had
been invented and was experimental. There has been much recent talk
about that switch in the factory mail list. There is also an option in
the config file to make it the default.

Huh, yes, it is in man zypper:

     --[no-]allow-vendor-change
         Whether to allow changing the vendor of installed resolvables
         [zypp.conf:solver.dupAllowVendorChange]. Setting this to no
         might be useful if you do not want packages from foreign repos
         being dup’ed to the distributions version (or vice versa).

> But yes, that indeed works much smoother, I just tried it with another
> upgrade.
>
>>> I ran it in a remote ssh session.  Doesn't really matter.
>>
>> a bit risky...
>
> Not really, as long as the machine is in doubt reachable with STMP:
> Simple Turnschuh Management Protocol
> (for non-germans:  Turnschuh = sports shoe; i.e., run over there to fix
> things...)
LOL.

> It's just that the respective machines don't have monitor/keyboard connected,
> and I'm a quite lazy person :D

Yes, just the same way I'm doing maintenance now of my laptop in the
sitting room :-)

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Stakanov Schufter
In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 02:49:32, Carlos E. R. ha scritto:

> On 2017-01-06 23:14, pit wrote:
> > Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >>
> >> Try, next time:
> >>
> >> zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change
> >
> > Amazing, where did you get this from?  It's not even in the manpage...
>
> No? I didn't look, I thought it was.
>
> I knew about it because some one mentioned it here, about when it had
> been invented and was experimental. There has been much recent talk
> about that switch in the factory mail list. There is also an option in
> the config file to make it the default.
>
> Huh, yes, it is in man zypper:
>
>      --[no-]allow-vendor-change
>          Whether to allow changing the vendor of installed resolvables
>          [zypp.conf:solver.dupAllowVendorChange]. Setting this to no
>          might be useful if you do not want packages from foreign repos
>          being dup’ed to the distributions version (or vice versa).
>
> > But yes, that indeed works much smoother, I just tried it with another
> > upgrade.

> >> a bit risky...
> >
> > Not really, as long as the machine is in doubt reachable with STMP:
> > Simple Turnschuh Management Protocol
> > (for non-germans:  Turnschuh = sports shoe; i.e., run over there to fix
> > things...)
>
> LOL.
>
> > It's just that the respective machines don't have monitor/keyboard
> > connected, and I'm a quite lazy person :D
>
> Yes, just the same way I'm doing maintenance now of my laptop in the
> sitting room :-)

As I migrated back from 42.2 to 42.1 it is working also the other way round.
"Dangerous repos" like security and others that may change vendor will however
be well served by this zypper command.
Once one does this, that is migrating back, one has (provided that you use pop
and PIM4) a working desktop again.
I allow myself the comment that it is quite interesting that we state "KDEPIM4
has been ported a last time to 42.2 for compatibility reasons" - release notes -
but when you install it is not working and if you file a bug on this it is
immediately closed down with "won't fix" - out of scope - while referring
to....the release notes, as to say: we know that KDEPIM4 is not working but we
provide it. Alibi? We will see whether in 6 month KDEPIM5 is working when they
will stop support for the finally working 42.1. Weired attitude.

So: if you work with 42.1 and have to change to 42..2: don't do it if you want
KDEPIM4, it does not work as expected and you will be forced to change.

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Per Jessen
stakanov wrote:

> I allow myself the comment that it is quite interesting that we state
> "KDEPIM4 has been ported a last time to 42.2 for compatibility
> reasons" - release notes - but when you install it is not working and
> if you file a bug on this it is immediately closed down with "won't
> fix" - out of scope - while referring to....the release notes, as to
> say: we know that KDEPIM4 is not working but we provide it.

I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't know
how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-5.5°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update - 42.2 vs 42.1 KDEPIM4 use

Stakanov Schufter
In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 12:02:07, Per Jessen ha scritto:

> stakanov wrote:
> > I allow myself the comment that it is quite interesting that we state
> > "KDEPIM4 has been ported a last time to 42.2 for compatibility
> > reasons" - release notes - but when you install it is not working and
> > if you file a bug on this it is immediately closed down with "won't
> > fix" - out of scope - while referring to....the release notes, as to
> > say: we know that KDEPIM4 is not working but we provide it.
>
> I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't know
> how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.

On 42.2? I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter what.
I tried to create a new user and import the archives from fresh. Only to see
the same, not able to start akonadi.
You have to close kontact4, akonadictl stop, akonadictl fsck, akonadictl start
and restart now Kontact, and this every(!) time you start kontakt. Otherwise
your resources are shown "offline".
Fact is: if I could do this in automatic, ridiculous or not, it would grant the
use of KDEPIM4 up to EOL of 42.2 (and this would be an asset). The crashing
sddm I could substitute it with e.g. xdm and then the system would be working.
It is just that I do not know how to Start KDEPIM4 and shut it down, then do
all this and then start it up again with a script.

stakanov wrote:

> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 12:02:07, Per Jessen ha scritto:
>> stakanov wrote:
>> > I allow myself the comment that it is quite interesting that we
>> > state "KDEPIM4 has been ported a last time to 42.2 for
>> > compatibility reasons" - release notes - but when you install it is
>> > not working and if you file a bug on this it is immediately closed
>> > down with "won't fix" - out of scope - while referring to....the
>> > release notes, as to say: we know that KDEPIM4 is not working but
>> > we provide it.
>>
>> I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't
>> know how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.
>
> On 42.2?

Yep.

> I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter
> what. I tried to create a new user and import the archives from fresh.
> Only to see the same, not able to start akonadi.

I don't see akonadi running on my system either.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-5.4°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.

In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 12:32:53, Per Jessen ha scritto:

> stakanov wrote:
> >>
> >> I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't
> >> know how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.
> >
> > On 42.2?
>
> Yep.
>
> > I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter
> > what. I tried to create a new user and import the archives from fresh.
> > Only to see the same, not able to start akonadi.
>
> I don't see akonadi running on my system either.

So the question would be: is the automatic archiving that I did set also
possible without running akonadi. Because new mails are put into the folders,
filters work. If the archiving works I do not give a damn about folders being
red and fake "offline" messages. Important is not to loose ones mail in the
archiving process.
Who could answer this? Maybe Luca Beltrame?

stakanov wrote:

> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 12:32:53, Per Jessen ha scritto:
>> stakanov wrote:

>> > On 42.2?
>>
>> Yep.
>>
>> > I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter
>> > what. I tried to create a new user and import the archives from
>> > fresh. Only to see the same, not able to start akonadi.
>>
>> I don't see akonadi running on my system either.

Actually, when I started kontact, akonadi was started:

25462 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
25465 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ akonadiserver
25537 ?        Sl     0:02  |
\_ /usr/sbin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --datadir=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/tmp/akonadi-per.IcHqaA/mysql.socket
25576 ?        S      0:00
\_ /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier
akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
25577 ?        SN     0:00
\_ /usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer --identifier akonadi_baloo_indexer
25578 ?        S      0:00
\_ /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
25579 ?        S      0:00
\_ /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier
akonadi_migration_agent
25597 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_agent_launcher
akonadi_maildir_resource akonadi_maildir_resource_0

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-4.8°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 13:25:14, Per Jessen ha scritto:

> stakanov wrote:

> >> Yep.

> >> I don't see akonadi running on my system either.
>
> Actually, when I started kontact, akonadi was started:
>
> 25462 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
> 25465 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ akonadiserver
> 25537 ?        Sl     0:02  |
> \_ /usr/sbin/mysqld
> --defaults-file=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
> --datadir=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/
> --socket=/tmp/akonadi-per.IcHqaA/mysql.socket 25576 ?        S      0:00
> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier
> akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
> 25577 ?        SN     0:00
> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer --identifier akonadi_baloo_indexer
> 25578 ?        S      0:00
> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier
> akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
> 25579 ?        S      0:00
> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier
> akonadi_migration_agent
> 25597 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_agent_launcher
> akonadi_maildir_resource akonadi_maildir_resource_0

Which is not so surprising. Because otherwise Kontact would not complain about
damaged mailresources being offline. The fact is, when you do all what I say,
with 42.2 I get a working Kontact .... for that session only. After every
reboot you have to do the same again.... (and it is a notebook).

stakanov wrote:

> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 13:25:14, Per Jessen ha scritto:
>> stakanov wrote:

>> Actually, when I started kontact, akonadi was started:
>>
>> 25462 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
>> 25465 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ akonadiserver
>> 25537 ?        Sl     0:02  |
>> \_ /usr/sbin/mysqld
>> --defaults-file=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
>> --datadir=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/
>> --socket=/tmp/akonadi-per.IcHqaA/mysql.socket 25576 ?        S
>> 0:00 \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier
>> akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
>> 25577 ?        SN     0:00
>> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer --identifier akonadi_baloo_indexer
>> 25578 ?        S      0:00
>> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier
>> akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
>> 25579 ?        S      0:00
>> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier
>> akonadi_migration_agent
>> 25597 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_agent_launcher
>> akonadi_maildir_resource akonadi_maildir_resource_0
>
> Which is not so surprising. Because otherwise Kontact would not
> complain about damaged mailresources being offline. The fact is, when
> you do all what I say, with 42.2 I get a working Kontact .... for that
> session only. After every reboot you have to do the same again....
> (and it is a notebook).

You said "I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter
what", I just wanted to say that "akonadi starts fine here".  Thus we
can deduce it is not an akonadi problem, but something else.  So what
else do you do (that prevents akonadi from starting) ?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-4.4°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

On 2017-01-07 12:02, Per Jessen wrote:

> stakanov wrote:
>
>> I allow myself the comment that it is quite interesting that we state
>> "KDEPIM4 has been ported a last time to 42.2 for compatibility
>> reasons" - release notes - but when you install it is not working and
>> if you file a bug on this it is immediately closed down with "won't
>> fix" - out of scope - while referring to....the release notes, as to
>> say: we know that KDEPIM4 is not working but we provide it.
>
> I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't know
> how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.
In your case, being only one tool, you could move it to a virtual
machine. Ie, a VM with 42.1.

In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 14:56:20, Per Jessen ha scritto:

> stakanov wrote:

> >> Actually, when I started kontact, akonadi was started:
> >>
> >> 25462 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
> >> 25465 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ akonadiserver
> >> 25537 ?        Sl     0:02  |
> >> \_ /usr/sbin/mysqld
> >> --defaults-file=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
> >> --datadir=/home/per/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/
> >> --socket=/tmp/akonadi-per.IcHqaA/mysql.socket 25576 ?        S
> >> 0:00 \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier
> >> akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
> >> 25577 ?        SN     0:00
> >> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer --identifier akonadi_baloo_indexer
> >> 25578 ?        S      0:00
> >> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier
> >> akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
> >> 25579 ?        S      0:00
> >> \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier
> >> akonadi_migration_agent
> >> 25597 ?        Sl     0:00  \_ /usr/bin/akonadi_agent_launcher
> >> akonadi_maildir_resource akonadi_maildir_resource_0
> >
> > Which is not so surprising. Because otherwise Kontact would not
> > complain about damaged mailresources being offline. The fact is, when
> > you do all what I say, with 42.2 I get a working Kontact .... for that
> > session only. After every reboot you have to do the same again....
> > (and it is a notebook).
>
> You said "I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter
> what", I just wanted to say that "akonadi starts fine here".  Thus we
> can deduce it is not an akonadi problem, but something else.  So what
> else do you do (that prevents akonadi from starting) ?

It seems it crashes:
https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1017222.

Now, what I do not know, if I would migrate all to kmail5.... and it does not
work....can i still migrate back to 42.1? Because if I am then crashing the
whole OS to do a favor to who "just wanted to easy transition"...pfff.

stakanov wrote:

> In data sabato 7 gennaio 2017 14:56:20, Per Jessen ha scritto:
>> stakanov wrote:

>> > Which is not so surprising. Because otherwise Kontact would not
>> > complain about damaged mailresources being offline. The fact is,
>> > when you do all what I say, with 42.2 I get a working Kontact ....
>> > for that session only. After every reboot you have to do the same
>> > again.... (and it is a notebook).
>>
>> You said "I tried to install it and akonadi does not start, no matter
>> what", I just wanted to say that "akonadi starts fine here".  Thus we
>> can deduce it is not an akonadi problem, but something else.  So what
>> else do you do (that prevents akonadi from starting) ?
>
> It seems it crashes:
> https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1017222.

Okay - it seems it is related to kmail, which is perhaps why I'm not
seeing it. (I don't use kmail).

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2017-01-07 12:02, Per Jessen wrote:
>> stakanov wrote:
>>
>>> I allow myself the comment that it is quite interesting that we
>>> state "KDEPIM4 has been ported a last time to 42.2 for compatibility
>>> reasons" - release notes - but when you install it is not working
>>> and if you file a bug on this it is immediately closed down with
>>> "won't fix" - out of scope - while referring to....the release
>>> notes, as to say: we know that KDEPIM4 is not working but we provide
>>> it.
>>
>> I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't
>> know how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.
>
> In your case, being only one tool, you could move it to a virtual
> machine. Ie, a VM with 42.1.

Not a bad idea, but it's a bit much to do that for every machine that
wants to read news groups. (and mailing lists and cron output etc).
I'm not talking about just one desktop.  We funnel all kinds of info
and job output into innd, this makes it easy to manage and accessible
from virtually everywhere, with knode.  For the time being, knode still
works, and I'm still only testing leap42[12] on desktops.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-4.5°C)

On 2017-01-07 18:01, Per Jessen wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> On 2017-01-07 12:02, Per Jessen wrote:

>>> I think I had to revert to kdepim4 because I needed knode, I don't
>>> know how much of kdepim4 is being used by that, but it works for me.
>>
>> In your case, being only one tool, you could move it to a virtual
>> machine. Ie, a VM with 42.1.
>
> Not a bad idea, but it's a bit much to do that for every machine that
> wants to read news groups. (and mailing lists and cron output etc).
> I'm not talking about just one desktop.  We funnel all kinds of info
> and job output into innd, this makes it easy to manage and accessible
> from virtually everywhere, with knode.  For the time being, knode still
> works, and I'm still only testing leap42[12] on desktops.
Oh, that's complicated, then.

You could have a central server with 42.1, and people could open an ssh
-X session there to simply start a knode command. A bit cumbersome.

Otherwise, switch to another news reader. I use Thunderbird, it is very
good. Another one is 'Pan'.

Re: Question about 42.1 to 42.2 update

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [01-07-17 12:53]:

> On 2017-01-07 18:01, Per Jessen wrote:
> > Carlos E. R. wrote:

> >> In your case, being only one tool, you could move it to a virtual
> >> machine. Ie, a VM with 42.1.
> >
> > Not a bad idea, but it's a bit much to do that for every machine that
> > wants to read news groups. (and mailing lists and cron output etc).
> > I'm not talking about just one desktop.  We funnel all kinds of info
> > and job output into innd, this makes it easy to manage and accessible
> > from virtually everywhere, with knode.  For the time being, knode still
> > works, and I'm still only testing leap42[12] on desktops.
>
> Oh, that's complicated, then.
>
> You could have a central server with 42.1, and people could open an ssh
> -X session there to simply start a knode command. A bit cumbersome.
>
> Otherwise, switch to another news reader. I use Thunderbird, it is very
> good. Another one is 'Pan'.

and commandline, slrn

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2      Registered Linux User #207535
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                 @ http://linuxcounter.net

On 2017-01-07 19:42, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Carlos E. R. <> [01-07-17 12:53]:

>> Otherwise, switch to another news reader. I use Thunderbird, it is very
>> good. Another one is 'Pan'.
>
> and commandline, slrn

Few /common/ people would like that one :-P