Q re earlier versions of kernel in .../Kernel:/stable/standard/

Q re earlier versions of kernel in .../Kernel:/stable/standard/

Basil Chupin-2
Could someone please tell me where can one find copies of the earlier
versions of the kernel prior to the latest (4.14.12-x) now in repo.
download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/ ?

BC

--
Always be nice to people on your way up -- you'll see
the same people on your way down.

Re: Q re earlier versions of kernel in .../Kernel:/stable/standard/

Richard Brown
On 8 January 2018 at 06:58, Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could someone please tell me where can one find copies of the earlier
> versions of the kernel prior to the latest (4.14.12-x) now in repo.
> download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/ ?
>
> BC

nowhere - Kernel:/stable is a devel project, and does not offer
previous versions of built binaries

We only provide such service (old versions of updated packages) for
our Leap distribution (through the Update repos), and Tumbleweed
through the relatively new concept of the "tumbleweed-cli" tooling

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-11/msg00591.html

Archiving every binary produced by ever devel project would be
prohibitively expensive, especially fast moving devel projects like
the kernel

It is also worth remembering that, despite the attempts to "never
break userspace", the reality is the kernel (like most of our
packages) is a moving target that is often best compiled in the
context of a distribution, and who's distribution packages are best
compiled in the context of that kernel.

We can provide the old versions in Leap's update channel precisely
because we curate Leap's packages to ensure each update doesn't impose
major changes. There is no such promise for kernel:/stable - in fact
it can be expected to change quickly, inline with whatever is going on
in the upstream stable Kernel.

In other words, you shouldn't be expecting the kernel:/stable devel
project to provide the same level of integration and support that you
see in Leap

Hope this helps.

On 08/01/18 20:29, Richard Brown wrote:

> On 8 January 2018 at 06:58, Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Could someone please tell me where can one find copies of the earlier
>> versions of the kernel prior to the latest (4.14.12-x) now in repo.
>> download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/ ?
>>
>> BC
> nowhere - Kernel:/stable is a devel project, and does not offer
> previous versions of built binaries
>
> We only provide such service (old versions of updated packages) for
> our Leap distribution (through the Update repos), and Tumbleweed
> through the relatively new concept of the "tumbleweed-cli" tooling
>
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-11/msg00591.html
>
> Archiving every binary produced by ever devel project would be
> prohibitively expensive, especially fast moving devel projects like
> the kernel
>
> It is also worth remembering that, despite the attempts to "never
> break userspace", the reality is the kernel (like most of our
> packages) is a moving target that is often best compiled in the
> context of a distribution, and who's distribution packages are best
> compiled in the context of that kernel.
>
> We can provide the old versions in Leap's update channel precisely
> because we curate Leap's packages to ensure each update doesn't impose
> major changes. There is no such promise for kernel:/stable - in fact
> it can be expected to change quickly, inline with whatever is going on
> in the upstream stable Kernel.
>
> In other words, you shouldn't be expecting the kernel:/stable devel
> project to provide the same level of integration and support that you
> see in Leap
>
> Hope this helps.

Thank you.

BC