Python3 only system status

Tomas Chvatal
Hello all,

just for the interest and to motivate people to help I am going to tell
you how screwed up are we with python3 only base system.

The staging stays the same:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:O
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/openSUSE:Factory:Staging:O:DVD

As you can see on the base there is bunch of unresolvables, that is
currently caused by Mesa requiring python2 to build, matejcik is
hopefully going to ammend this ASAP and we will get much further in the
chain.

Apart from that on the failed front you can see jack/mozjs and syslinux
(rest has already pending fixed submissions iirc).

mozjs is really archaic version and we will really cry in order to get
it rolling with py3.

jack is using waf version that is python2 only... This translates even
into more fun. All of the SAMBA stuff is using waf to produce things,
the waf included in them is from 2010/2011 and does not consider py3,
when you put in new waf blidnly all hell breaks. Anyone with fond love
of windows style filesharing should probably start up with upstream and
get them to tweak it and/or tweak it together with them.

syslinux is another quite important package that was not updated in
ages, the current version is 6.04 while we have 4.0x series, the latest
can work with py3 but the one in factory can't, someone wanting to play
with booting fun would be lovely here.

On the DVD the errors are even more fun (most of the unresolvables are
again thanks to Mesa so it is not proper state).

You can see various kde packages failing to find the ECM for some
reason thus some kde lover to tweak dependencies would be welcome:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/openSUSE:Factory:Stag
ing:O:DVD/kmime/standard/x86_64
Also ECM depends on sphinx for docu build, might be easiest just to not
build the dpes and give op on pulling the python2 dependency there.

Rest of the fails there is simply what they mean, some hardcoded python
calls and so on.

Cheers

Tom

Re: Python3 only system status

Dave Plater lst

On 04/01/2018 14:29, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> jack is using waf version that is python2 only
Good news, new jack just released and after changing headers it appears
to build with python3. They updated the waf version.
Dave P

Re: Python3 only system status

Konstantin Voinov
Hi

There is new version of Jack 1.9.12 (TW version is 2-years old 1.9.10)
https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/releases
It contains fixes, improvements and updates, waf too.

On 2018-01-04 22:29, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> Hello all,

> jack is using waf version that is python2 only...

Re: Python3 only system status

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2018, 13:29:30 schrieb Tomas Chvatal:
> You can see various kde packages failing to find the ECM for some
> reason thus some kde lover to tweak dependencies would be welcome:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/openSUSE:Factory:Stag
> ing:O:DVD/kmime/standard/x86_64

Well, the reason for this is simple:
It requires ECM 5.39.0, but only 5.38.0 is available (because ECM is
unresolvable).

These kind of errors should disappear automatically as soon as ECM builds
successfully.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bauer píše v Čt 04. 01. 2018 v 15:27 +0100:

> Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2018, 13:29:30 schrieb Tomas Chvatal:
> > You can see various kde packages failing to find the ECM for some
> > reason thus some kde lover to tweak dependencies would be welcome:
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/openSUSE:Factory:
> > Stag
> > ing:O:DVD/kmime/standard/x86_64
>
> Well, the reason for this is simple:
> It requires ECM 5.39.0, but only 5.38.0 is available (because ECM is
> unresolvable).
>
> These kind of errors should disappear automatically as soon as ECM
> builds
> successfully.

Yea that is true, on the other hand all these packages should've stated
properly what version of ECM they desire.

Also what is preferred action on the unresolvable? Is just drop of the
Sphinx dep okay or are the documents built there useful?

Cheers

Tom

Re: Python3 only system status

Jiri Slaby-6
On 01/04/2018, 01:29 PM, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> syslinux is another quite important package that was not updated in
> ages, the current version is 6.04 while we have 4.0x series, the latest
> can work with py3 but the one in factory can't, someone wanting to play
> with booting fun would be lovely here.

Well, I already tried this last year, but haven't finished yet. The
outcome for now is: the last released 6.03 is way too old -- it does not
build, use git snapshot -- 6.04-pre or later.

thanks,
--
js
suse labs

On 01/04/2018, 09:01 PM, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
> Do you happen to have it somewhere? Probably might be good idea to get
> in touch with SLE maintianer too to see how big chance there is to get
> it rolling.

Sure:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:jirislaby:branches:system:install:head/syslinux

--
js
suse labs

Re: Python3 only system status

Tomas Chvatal
Hi all,

I've created simple etherpad to avoid clashing and to track what could
be done ~easily.

If anyone wanna to join in and start messing with stuff please go
ahead.
Also write down if you fix any of the current unresolvables in there so
others do not have to duplicate the work :)

Cheers

Tom

[1] https://etherpad.opensuse.org/p/openSUSE-python3only