Proposal: Web UI so warning instead of succeeded if rpmlint checks fail.

Proposal: Web UI so warning instead of succeeded if rpmlint checks fail.

Simon Lees-3
Hi All,

A feature request (that i'm probably not capable of implementing
myself), On the webui, we should show "Warning" in Yellow or a different
green, where we currently show succeeded. The current behavior in terms
of the package succeeding to build and be published shouldn't be changed.

The reasoning behind this is currently when doing reviews I often come
across rpmlint warnings that people have missed and probably should be
fixed. What I suspect happens is people sometimes see a green
"succeeded" presume everything is ok and don't bother checking the build
logs or rpmlint output. I suspect this because i'm probably also guilty
of doing it at times as well.

Hopefully a change like this will lead to people both fixing the
warnings that should be fixed and silencing the ones that don't apply,
this would make the review team's life easier as we wouldn't have to
guess whether the warning is real or not.

Thoughts?

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: Proposal: Web UI so warning instead of succeeded if rpmlint checks fail.

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Wednesday 2017-04-26 03:23, Simon Lees wrote:

>The reasoning behind this is currently when doing reviews I often come
>across rpmlint warnings that people have missed and probably should be
>fixed. What I suspect happens is people sometimes see a green
>"succeeded" presume everything is ok and don't bother checking the build
>logs or rpmlint output.

Not just the webui, the same holds true for `osc r`.

>I suspect this because i'm probably also guilty
>of doing it at times as well.

And sometimes, the "toolchain" is at fault. The python packages have lots and
lots of "duplicate file" warnings, but you can't just fdupes that away in that
python case. Adding an rpmlintrc file to over 100 packages seems like a bad
approach, as does removing the duplicateness check from rpmlint.

Re: Proposal: Web UI so warning instead of succeeded if rpmlint checks fail.

Christian Bruckmayer-2
Hey,

On 04/26/2017 08:46 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Wednesday 2017-04-26 03:23, Simon Lees wrote:
>> The reasoning behind this is currently when doing reviews I often come
>> across rpmlint warnings that people have missed and probably should be
>> fixed. What I suspect happens is people sometimes see a green
>> "succeeded" presume everything is ok and don't bother checking the build
>> logs or rpmlint output.
> Not just the webui, the same holds true for `osc r`.
For feature request we basically use GitHub issues:
https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues
So feel free to open an issue :)

On 04/26/2017 05:47 PM, Christian Bruckmayer wrote:

> Hey,
>

> On 04/26/2017 08:46 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> On Wednesday 2017-04-26 03:23, Simon Lees wrote:
>>> The reasoning behind this is currently when doing reviews I often come
>>> across rpmlint warnings that people have missed and probably should be
>>> fixed. What I suspect happens is people sometimes see a green
>>> "succeeded" presume everything is ok and don't bother checking the build
>>> logs or rpmlint output.
>> Not just the webui, the same holds true for `osc r`.
> For feature request we basically use GitHub issues:
> https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues
> So feel free to open an issue :)
Done, https://github.com/openSUSE/open-build-service/issues/3038

Thanks

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

Re: Proposal: Web UI so warning instead of succeeded if rpmlint checks fail.

Stefan Bruens
On Mittwoch, 26. April 2017 09:46:39 CEST Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Wednesday 2017-04-26 03:23, Simon Lees wrote:
> >The reasoning behind this is currently when doing reviews I often come
> >across rpmlint warnings that people have missed and probably should be
> >fixed. What I suspect happens is people sometimes see a green
> >"succeeded" presume everything is ok and don't bother checking the build
> >logs or rpmlint output.
>
> Not just the webui, the same holds true for `osc r`.
>
> >I suspect this because i'm probably also guilty
> >of doing it at times as well.
>
> And sometimes, the "toolchain" is at fault. The python packages have lots
> and lots of "duplicate file" warnings, but you can't just fdupes that away
> in that python case. Adding an rpmlintrc file to over 100 packages seems
> like a bad approach, as does removing the duplicateness check from rpmlint.

Out of interest, can you provide some (different) examples?

I am aware of some build artifacts/meta-data (e.g. the {not-,}zip-safe egg
info, which just contais a newline (0x0a), i.e. it constains no information,
but is also not treated as an empty file).

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034     mobile: +49 151 50412019