Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Manu Gupta
Hi

I am one of the volunteers for the openSUSE.Asia team, and we are
trying to get  some text on the landing page about openSUSE.Asia
Summit to spread the word.

I have no experience related to translation, so can anyone help me in
walking through the process of translation for the landing page. We
have the original string in English, so where can we request the
strings to be translated.

Thank you for your patience!!!!

--
Regards
Manu Gupta

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Manu Gupta
Hi,

The current landing page is capable of taking translations from the
server (so it seems after running the scripts).
However, I am not sure how do I upload the english po file on the
server. Is there a how-to, with the location of server?

I am attaching the po file here (which is in English), which should be
uploaded to https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-i18n/trunk/lcn/en_US/po/

After reading this
(https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide#SVN_Structure) ,
it seems like I will need an account. Unfortunately, I do not intend
to become a full time translator. Can anyone help in checking this one
in and help us getting translated.

Thank you!!!

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Regards
Manu Gupta

opensuse-org.pot (15K) Download Attachment

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Guillaume Gardet
Hi,

Le 03/09/2015 05:31, Manu Gupta a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> The current landing page is capable of taking translations from the
> server (so it seems after running the scripts).
> However, I am not sure how do I upload the english po file on the
> server. Is there a how-to, with the location of server?
>
> I am attaching the po file here (which is in English), which should be
> uploaded to https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-i18n/trunk/lcn/en_US/po/

No to lcn/50-pot/ folder since it is a POT file, not a PO file.

> After reading this
> (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide#SVN_Structure) ,
> it seems like I will need an account. Unfortunately, I do not intend
> to become a full time translator. Can anyone help in checking this one
> in and help us getting translated.
>
> Thank you!!!

It seems you did not push your changes to GIT repo :
https://github.com/openSUSE/landing-page

This is the first thing to do. Then we will push POT file to SVN and pull back translated PO files to GIT repo and translated HTML pages generated.

Guillaume

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Ancor Gonzalez Sosa
On 09/03/2015 05:31 AM, Manu Gupta wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current landing page is capable of taking translations from the
> server (so it seems after running the scripts).
> However, I am not sure how do I upload the english po file on the
> server. Is there a how-to, with the location of server?
>
> I am attaching the po file here (which is in English), which should be
> uploaded to https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-i18n/trunk/lcn/en_US/po/
>
> After reading this
> (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide#SVN_Structure) ,
> it seems like I will need an account. Unfortunately, I do not intend
> to become a full time translator. Can anyone help in checking this one
> in and help us getting translated.

The correct file (lcn/50-pot/opensuse-org.pot) is already uploaded. So
translators, please go for it!

I will probably merge back the available translations and deploy this
Friday.

Thanks all.

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

On 09/09/2015 02:20 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

> On 09/03/2015 05:31 AM, Manu Gupta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The current landing page is capable of taking translations from the
>> server (so it seems after running the scripts).
>> However, I am not sure how do I upload the english po file on the
>> server. Is there a how-to, with the location of server?
>>
>> I am attaching the po file here (which is in English), which should be
>> uploaded to https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-i18n/trunk/lcn/en_US/po/
>>
>> After reading this
>> (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide#SVN_Structure) ,
>> it seems like I will need an account. Unfortunately, I do not intend
>> to become a full time translator. Can anyone help in checking this one
>> in and help us getting translated.
>
> The correct file (lcn/50-pot/opensuse-org.pot) is already uploaded. So
> translators, please go for it!
>
> I will probably merge back the available translations and deploy this
> Friday.

I will deploy in a couple of hours from now, as soon as people wake up
in Utah, where the server lives.

So far we have translations for ca, fr, it, jp, nl, sk, uk and zh-tw.
Not bad, but far from the 24 languages we display in the language
selection box. :-)

I'll check again before displaying.

Thanks all.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

On 09/14/2015 10:24 AM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

> On 09/09/2015 02:20 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
>> On 09/03/2015 05:31 AM, Manu Gupta wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The current landing page is capable of taking translations from the
>>> server (so it seems after running the scripts).
>>> However, I am not sure how do I upload the english po file on the
>>> server. Is there a how-to, with the location of server?
>>>
>>> I am attaching the po file here (which is in English), which should be
>>> uploaded to https://svn.opensuse.org/viewvc/opensuse-i18n/trunk/lcn/en_US/po/
>>>
>>> After reading this
>>> (https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Localization_guide#SVN_Structure) ,
>>> it seems like I will need an account. Unfortunately, I do not intend
>>> to become a full time translator. Can anyone help in checking this one
>>> in and help us getting translated.
>>
>> The correct file (lcn/50-pot/opensuse-org.pot) is already uploaded. So
>> translators, please go for it!
>>
>> I will probably merge back the available translations and deploy this
>> Friday.
>
> I will deploy in a couple of hours from now, as soon as people wake up
> in Utah, where the server lives.
>
> So far we have translations for ca, fr, it, jp, nl, sk, uk and zh-tw.
> Not bad, but far from the 24 languages we display in the language
> selection box. :-)
>
> I'll check again before displaying.

No new translations found. Deployed as is.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Hi,

Why the .po files where not updated as always? I mean automatically
instead of every coordinator has to update its own file?

Regards,

Luiz

On 09/14/2015 04:32 PM, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why the .po files where not updated as always? I mean automatically
> instead of every coordinator has to update its own file?

The translation process of the landing page is automated by a script, so
it's always done in the same way.

Run "svn log opensuse-org.pot" and you'll see that opensuse-org.pot is
always updated "in isolation", with the translators (or coordinators, I
don't know the details) taking care of the .po files.

Feel free to improve the script at [1] or to open a bug for somebody to
do it.
[1] https://github.com/openSUSE/landing-page/blob/master/make_POT.sh

Cheers.

>>> I will deploy in a couple of hours from now, as soon as people wake up
>>> in Utah, where the server lives.
>>>
>>> So far we have translations for ca, fr, it, jp, nl, sk, uk and zh-tw.
>>> Not bad, but far from the 24 languages we display in the language
>>> selection box. :-)
>>>
>>> I'll check again before displaying.
>>
>> No new translations found. Deployed as is.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> --
>> Ancor González Sosa
>> YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH
>> --
>> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Re: Process for Translating for landing page (the old one / current one)

Karl Ove Hufthammer
Den 14. sep. 2015 14:49, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa skreiv:
>> >So far we have translations for ca, fr, it, jp, nl, sk, uk and zh-tw.
>> >Not bad, but far from the 24 languages we display in the language
>> >selection box.:-)
>> >
>> >I'll check again before displaying.
> No new translations found. Deployed as is.

Which file did you use? opensuse-org.pot har been translated into nn for
a long time, and was last updated a few days ago, but I did not see nn
in your list of languages?

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer

On 09/14/2015 07:53 PM, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> Den 14. sep. 2015 14:49, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa skreiv:

>> No new translations found. Deployed as is.
>
> Which file did you use? opensuse-org.pot har been translated into nn for
> a long time, and was last updated a few days ago, but I did not see nn
> in your list of languages?

The current automation does not include adding new languages. That
implies some manual work like adding the name to the select box, looking
for the flag and so on. Nobody noticed when the translation to nn was
added to the repository, so it has never been included in subsequent
updates. I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

On 09/14/2015 05:27 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Monday, 2015-09-14 at 14:49 +0200, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
>
>>> I'll check again before displaying.
>
>> No new translations found. Deployed as is.
>
> Spanish done. Just 3 sentences changed or new.
>
> I didn't notice that you were refering to opensuse-org.pot file, not to
> opensuse-landing-page.pot, which is fully translated.
>
> Why two files for the same concept, landing page? :-?

opensuse-org.pot is for the current landing page. The one we have been
updating for years.

opensuse-landing-page.pot seems to be for the future landing page. The
one designed by Cynthia that will replace the current one soon.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH

On 09/14/2015 10:56 PM, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:

> On 09/14/2015 07:53 PM, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
>> Den 14. sep. 2015 14:49, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa skreiv:

>>> No new translations found. Deployed as is.
>>
>> Which file did you use? opensuse-org.pot har been translated into nn for
>> a long time, and was last updated a few days ago, but I did not see nn
>> in your list of languages?
>
> The current automation does not include adding new languages. That
> implies some manual work like adding the name to the select box, looking
> for the flag and so on. Nobody noticed when the translation to nn was
> added to the repository, so it has never been included in subsequent
> updates. I'll try to do it as soon as possible.

Well, this whole thread has been obsoleted with the deployment of the
new landing page today. I didn't know it was so close (although it was
announced).

I guess somebody will take care of removing the opensuse-org.pot file
from the svn in the short term.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa