Problems with opensuse 10.2 Ext3 file system

Problems with opensuse 10.2 Ext3 file system

Lee Ross
This machine has run flawlessly for 2 years so I decided to install more
ram. Two sticks of 1 gig to make a full 4gig's. Reboot went fine but I was
not reading all 4 gig's of ram so I went to the bios and enabled the
device mapping (can't remember the correct name) which brought recognition
to all 4 gigs. Commenced to running programs testing the new ram but only
ran through the ram tests once. No errors. Started playing a game and
boom....the machine locked up tight. I went to cntrl-alt-f2 and did a
shutdown successfully at which time I pulled the two sticks of ram.
Attempted a reboot with the 10.2 CD....went to install and then repair,
repairing several corrupted files.....now, as I reboot using the CD, I get
to the part where it says I'm loading the required kernel modules
activating swap-devices in /etc/fstab....
adding 2104472k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across 2104472k
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda8 is already mounted on /
device-mapper:
activating device mapper....
Starting MD Raid
Checking file systems....
/dev/sda8 is mounted. e2fsck: cannot continue, aborting.

fsck.ext3 /dev/sda8 failed (staus 0X8). Run manually!

At this point I tried to run fsck.ext /dev/sda8 but it doesn't seem to
work and it just keeps sending me back to the same start point of the
boot. Am I running this fsck program correctly? According to my Beginners
Guide to Linux Administration, I navigate to the /etc directory, type in
fsck.ext3 /dev/sda8 and hit the enter key. Is this correct?  After doing
this I do a Control-D to reboot but it keeps taking me back to the same
place as before.

This is all done in Maintenance mode where you cannot shutdown or reboot
in the conventional manner.

I'm lost at this point.............What other info do I need to offer?

MSI main board 64bit K8N Neo4
Nvidia 8600GT graphics card
two gigs Corsair Ram
Seagate HD

Thank you,
--
Lee Ross
Anchorage, AK

Re: Problems with opensuse 10.2 Ext3 file system

M Harris-2
On Monday 12 January 2009 00:19, Lee Ross wrote:
> fsck.ext3 /dev/sda8 failed (staus 0X8). Run manually!

        Are you using raid?

        Which system mount point got honked?   /home?  /usr?  /var?

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: Problems with opensuse 10.2 Ext3 file system

Lee Ross
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:40:29 -0900, M Harris <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Monday 12 January 2009 00:19, Lee Ross wrote:
>> fsck.ext3 /dev/sda8 failed (staus 0X8). Run manually!
>
> Are you using raid?

No, the bios says, _raid enable_  _disabled_

> Which system mount point got honked?   /home?  /usr?  /var?

How do I find this information?

In Root _Maintenance_ I did...

cd /home
ls
got nothing

cd /usr
ls
got all directory files

cd /etc
ls
got all directory files and files

cd /var
ls
got all directory files

On Monday 12 January 2009 05:35, Lee Ross wrote:
> >       Which system mount point got honked?   /home?  /usr?  /var?
>
> How do I find this information?
        Did you load your system with more than one partition?

        From your rescue disk try to mount the / partition.  This depends on how
you load your systems. I typically have 12 mount points;
&   /home, /usr, /var, etcetera  are all mounted on separate partitions
(partially to avoid security issues, partially to increase performance, and
partially to avoid the problem you are running into).   Since the offending
partition is /dev/sda8 I am assuming you have /var  and  /tmp on separate
partitions... and normally one of those is the one that gets honked.   If you
can manually mount "/"  then look at your   fstab file in /etc.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: Problems with opensuse 10.2 Ext3 file system