Problems with KDE

George Stoianov-2
I am having a weird problem with KDE I have done all my updates and
today I am getting 100% cpu usage for some reason:

top - 09:35:22 up 1 day, 3 min, 11 users,  load average: 2.75, 2.83, 2.82
Tasks: 174 total,   4 running, 170 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 98.8% us,  1.2% sy,  0.0% ni,  0.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si
Mem:   1034220k total,  1006040k used,    28180k free,   115200k buffers
Swap:  2104472k total,   159024k used,  1945448k free,   503332k cached

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
24464 gs        25   0 34400  17m  13m R   99  1.7  19:05.32 kded
 3914 gs        25   0 33980 5420 5324 R   86  0.5   1431:08 kded

Are there supposed to be 2 kded processes???
George

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Problems with KDE

Aveek Bhattacharya-2
George Stoianov wrote:
> I am having a weird problem with KDE I have done all my updates and
> today I am getting 100% cpu usage for some reason:

I had faced this problem sometime earlier. A simple (but crude) solution
is to kill the kded process(es) (remember to use the KILL signal), and
to run kded on a shell. (It will detach, like any daemon process.)

A slightly better approach would be to disable some KDE services (via
kcontrol->KDE components->Service manager).

Once you are done getting CPU usage back to normal, you can save a KDE
session by logging out and back in.

> Are there supposed to be 2 kded processes?

Normally only 1 kded process should run. Are you seeing two processes or
threads in top (H toggles threads in top)? (Use ps to find out.)

Aveek Bhattacharya
IIT Bombay

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Problems with KDE

George Stoianov-2

> I had faced this problem sometime earlier. A simple (but crude) solution
> is to kill the kded process(es) (remember to use the KILL signal), and
> to run kded on a shell. (It will detach, like any daemon process.)

I tried that through ksysguard with no success. I should have tried
command line.

> A slightly better approach would be to disable some KDE services (via
> kcontrol->KDE components->Service manager).

I will try that.

> Once you are done getting CPU usage back to normal, you can save a KDE
> session by logging out and back in.

Good thanks

> > Are there supposed to be 2 kded processes?
>
> Normally only 1 kded process should run. Are you seeing two processes or
> threads in top (H toggles threads in top)? (Use ps to find out.)

No there were 2 distinct I did the tree view and they stayed separate.
I noticed that I after I exited the session for the second time I had
3 kded it seems like something is not closing properly, so I rebooted
and I had one and only one kded but it was again consuming 100%
CPU....

I am now running Blackbox and the performance is very good and speedy
even with my winxp vmware machine running, I had great issues with the
whole system slowing down after a few hours in KDE and swap and memory
was consumed pretty badly I have 1G RAM and 2G swap.

Any ideas what might be causing KDE to misbehave like that.

Thanks for your help.