Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
I have setup a system with two monitors and they work well together. But when
I want to use the "change user, or logout or shutdown" dialogue, it opens
exactly between the screens and there is nothing I can find to force him to
present the popup either on the left OR on the right screen. Is there  a way
to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the two screens (in
Plasma 5).
Installation is Leap 42.3


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Martin Schlander
fredag den 10. november 2017 13.11.27 CET skrev stakanov:
> I have setup a system with two monitors and they work well together. But
> when I want to use the "change user, or logout or shutdown" dialogue, it
> opens exactly between the screens and there is nothing I can find to force
> him to present the popup either on the left OR on the right screen. Is
> there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the
> two screens (in Plasma 5).
> Installation is Leap 42.3

I don't know about the specific issue. But I do know that Plasma/KScreen saw a
lot of improvements to dual monitor setups since the oooold Plasma 5.8.x of
Leap 42.3 (latest upstream Plasma is 5.11.x).

So maybe you should consider if risking and upgrade to newer Plasma is worth
it for you.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Martin Schlander <[hidden email]> [11-10-17 13:07]:

> fredag den 10. november 2017 13.11.27 CET skrev stakanov:
> > I have setup a system with two monitors and they work well together. But
> > when I want to use the "change user, or logout or shutdown" dialogue, it
> > opens exactly between the screens and there is nothing I can find to force
> > him to present the popup either on the left OR on the right screen. Is
> > there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the
> > two screens (in Plasma 5).
> > Installation is Leap 42.3
>
> I don't know about the specific issue. But I do know that Plasma/KScreen saw a
> lot of improvements to dual monitor setups since the oooold Plasma 5.8.x of
> Leap 42.3 (latest upstream Plasma is 5.11.x).
>
> So maybe you should consider if risking and upgrade to newer Plasma is worth
> it for you.

don't think it will help.  on tw current w/plasma 5.11.2 and see same

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Luca Beltrame
In reply to this post by Stakanov Schufter
In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 13:11:27 CET, stakanov ha scritto:

> there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the
> two screens (in Plasma 5).

On my work system (2 screens, 1 rotated 90 degrees) IIRC the dialog appears on
the primary screen. I'll check on Monday.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 22:37:42 CET, Luca Beltrame ha scritto:
> In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 13:11:27 CET, stakanov ha scritto:
> > there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the
> > two screens (in Plasma 5).
>
> On my work system (2 screens, 1 rotated 90 degrees) IIRC the dialog appears
> on the primary screen. I'll check on Monday.

I have the doubt it is F...Nvidia...again.
I have a ATI based system where this does not happen.
I have the other one, nouveau based.... it happens.
What else may be the reason: as it is a system of an aged person, the dpi is
high and set to 120. But AFAIR this was also the case before I did upsize the
dpi value. I tried openGL 3.1 and openGL2.0 and even no openGL. All gives the
same, it opens but exactly between the two. It is however functional (if you
know how to guess what is the content and just press enter).


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [11-10-17 18:11]:

> In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 22:37:42 CET, Luca Beltrame ha scritto:
> > In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 13:11:27 CET, stakanov ha scritto:
> > > there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between
> > > the two screens (in Plasma 5).
> >
> > On my work system (2 screens, 1 rotated 90 degrees) IIRC the dialog
> > appears on the primary screen.  I'll check on Monday.
>
> I have the doubt it is F...Nvidia...again.
> I have a ATI based system where this does not happen.
> I have the other one, nouveau based.... it happens.
> What else may be the reason: as it is a system of an aged person, the
> dpi is high and set to 120.  But AFAIR this was also the case before I
> did upsize the dpi value.  I tried openGL 3.1 and openGL2.0 and even no
> openGL.  All gives the same, it opens but exactly between the two.  It
> is however functional (if you know how to guess what is the content and
> just press enter).

you are blindly striking out in all directions and the age of the user is
immaterial, nor would the screen resolution or dpi or openGL make a
difference.  at least logon is now available on either screen.  in the
past logon was only displayed on one screen which you might see or not.

you can logon, simply move the mouse pointer onto the screen you wish to
use and type your password.

but the wanted screen should be configurable and should work.

fwiw, I am using the nvidia drivers, NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.22.run, a 28
inch Samsung lcd and a 55 inch Samsung UHF tv, but only have a 1080 card.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
In reply to this post by Luca Beltrame
Dne pátek 10. listopadu 2017 22:37:42 CET, Luca Beltrame napsal(a):
> In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 13:11:27 CET, stakanov ha scritto:
> > there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the
> > two screens (in Plasma 5).
>
> On my work system (2 screens, 1 rotated 90 degrees) IIRC the dialog appears
> on the primary screen. I'll check on Monday.

It doesn't happen on any of my two Intel based TW notebooks. On the other
hand, when I plug the second monitor, Plasma freezes and I must twice press
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to re-login. In other words, the second monitor must be
plugged before start of display server...

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
In data sabato 11 novembre 2017 15:56:42 CET, Vojtěch Zeisek ha scritto:

> Dne pátek 10. listopadu 2017 22:37:42 CET, Luca Beltrame napsal(a):
> > In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 13:11:27 CET, stakanov ha scritto:
> > > there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between the
> > > two screens (in Plasma 5).
> >
> > On my work system (2 screens, 1 rotated 90 degrees) IIRC the dialog
> > appears
> > on the primary screen. I'll check on Monday.
>
> It doesn't happen on any of my two Intel based TW notebooks. On the other
> hand, when I plug the second monitor, Plasma freezes and I must twice press
> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to re-login. In other words, the second monitor must be
> plugged before start of display server...

It seem to be related to
a) the way the card is connected. In my case 2xHDMI
b) the fact that the dpi is set to 120

In fact, before, this did not happen with 1xhdmi and 1xdvi with hdmi adapter
and 96 dpi.
For what is the monitor setup:
there are two monitor, the first LG and the second Medion, both with the same
size and resolution.
I am puzzled for what is the reason for this problem, the only change was in
96 dpi to 120 dpi.
In order to reproduce this I will give more details (if useful please tell me
what you need else).
Currently I am on travel and therefore will provide the info once back,
containing:
dpi, resolution, card type and driver version as well as graphical settings of
Plasma. I think it would be nice to find out. Maybe this is not a KDE but an
sddm issue. If you know, when I choose to "change user" or "logout session"
from "kicker" or whatever its name is now, is this still governed by kde or is
sddm taking over?
My understanding is that SDDM is not KDE or Plasma, but I am not educated
enough to determine where one stops and the other takes over. So if the popup
is not plasma any more please let me know.
Once I am back I will also provide a screen shot to better understand how this
presents (because it is really disturbing the workflow, otherwise I would not
have written).
Thank you.

Very often 120 dpi is a setting people with higher age or visual impairment
will choose, in order to having an easier working condition. If this should (I
do not say it is) be connected to dpi, then it would be useful to solve the
issue (or find out which setting / combination to avoid.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
In reply to this post by Patrick Shanahan-2
In data sabato 11 novembre 2017 00:20:26 CET, Patrick Shanahan ha scritto:
> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [11-10-17 18:11]:
> > In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 22:37:42 CET, Luca Beltrame ha scritto:
> > > In data venerdì 10 novembre 2017 13:11:27 CET, stakanov ha scritto:
> > > > there  a way to avoid that pop up info windows are opened in between
> > > > the two screens (in Plasma 5).

Dear Patrick.
> you are blindly striking out in all directions
I am referring to different hardware in my possession I can try with dual
monitor setup.
> and the age of the user is
> immaterial,
I suppose the only setting changed when the problem occurred is the setting
120 dpi. People may ask why in all world you would choose such high dpi. Age
and visual impairment are generally the "immaterial reasons".

> nor would the screen resolution or dpi or openGL make a
> difference.  at least logon is now available on either screen.
To repeat myself. Logon/lougout opens only on time. It opens in the middle of
the screen. Operation is possible only blindly (which for an immaterial age of
90 is difficult to achieve). The aim of this email exchange is: get you work
done for the user in question. I hope this is understandable now.

> in the
> past logon was only displayed on one screen which you might see or not.
Well, then, it may be, since the issue is that the system is updated from 13.2
that the problem arises by a bug in the update procedure, a reminiscence of
the former version. In this case we all can be happy because you would have,
unintentionally, contributed to hint to a place to search for a solution.
Congrats.
>
> you can logon, simply move the mouse pointer onto the screen you wish to
> use and type your password.
No, this is the point. I can not.
>
> but the wanted screen should be configurable and should work.
It does not, I am not writing here for fun, sorry.
>
> fwiw, I am using the nvidia drivers, NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-387.22.run, a 28
> inch Samsung lcd and a 55 inch Samsung UHF tv, but only have a 1080 card.

Excellent. Good for you. Feel free to contribute if a solution to the problem
should occur to you in the meanwhile, following the discussion.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Felix Miata-3
In reply to this post by Stakanov Schufter
stakanov composed on 2017-11-15 16:58 (UTC+0100):

> It seem to be related to a) the way the card is connected. In my case 2xHDMI
> b) the fact that the dpi is set to 120

> In fact, before, this did not happen with 1xhdmi and 1xdvi with hdmi adapter
>  and 96 dpi. For what is the monitor setup: there are two monitor, the first
> LG and the second Medion, both with the same size and resolution. I am
> puzzled for what is the reason for this problem, the only change was in 96
> dpi to 120 dpi. In order to reproduce this I will give more details (if
> useful please tell me what you need else). Currently I am on travel and
> therefore will provide the info once back, containing: dpi, resolution, card
> type and driver version as well as graphical settings of Plasma. I think it
> would be nice to find out. Maybe this is not a KDE but an sddm issue. If you
> know, when I choose to "change user" or "logout session" from "kicker" or
> whatever its name is now, is this still governed by kde or is sddm taking
> over? My understanding is that SDDM is not KDE or Plasma, but I am not
> educated enough to determine where one stops and the other takes over. So if
> the popup is not plasma any more please let me know. Once I am back I will
> also provide a screen shot to better understand how this presents (because it
> is really disturbing the workflow, otherwise I would not have written). Thank
> you.

> Very often 120 dpi is a setting people with higher age or visual impairment
> will choose, in order to having an easier working condition. If this should
> (I do not say it is) be connected to dpi, then it would be useful to solve
> the issue (or find out which setting / combination to avoid.

If as I suspect you have set 120 DPI via KDE systemsettings5, you have several
alternative options. Via systemsettings5, DPI is set via xrdb's Xft.dpi, which I
expect sddm is not utilizing (I don't use sddm, only kdm, kdm3 or tdm). Xft.dpi
via systemsettings5 is a user-specific method. You can try other methods.

Start by including in sddm.conf:
[X11]
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 120

The two alternatives I variously use are the DisplaySize option in xorg.conf*
(either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf), and a
startup script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ containing xrandr --dpi or xrandr
--fbmm. I would be trying the xorg.conf* approach first, as it seems to take
effect during Xorg initialization rather than later.

Another option to try is replacing sddm with a different DM.
--
"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Whatever else you
get, get wisdom." Proverbs 4:7 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
> If as I suspect you have set 120 DPI via KDE systemsettings5, you have
> several alternative options. Via systemsettings5, DPI is set via xrdb's
> Xft.dpi, which I expect sddm is not utilizing (I don't use sddm, only kdm,
> kdm3 or tdm). Xft.dpi via systemsettings5 is a user-specific method. You
> can try other methods.
>
> Start by including in sddm.conf:
> [X11]
> ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 120
>
> The two alternatives I variously use are the DisplaySize option in
> xorg.conf* (either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf), and a startup script in
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ containing xrandr --dpi or xrandr --fbmm. I would
> be trying the xorg.conf* approach first, as it seems to take effect during
> Xorg initialization rather than later.
>
> Another option to try is replacing sddm with a different DM.
Thank you, I think this is a good thing to try, makes a lot of sense to me.
And you say well, I did set it via KDE systemsettings5.  I will first try with
the sddm.conf.
Will report back when in measure to try.

Cheers!


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Bob Williams-3
On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:58:44 +0100
stakanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > If as I suspect you have set 120 DPI via KDE systemsettings5, you
> > have several alternative options. Via systemsettings5, DPI is set
> > via xrdb's Xft.dpi, which I expect sddm is not utilizing (I don't
> > use sddm, only kdm, kdm3 or tdm). Xft.dpi via systemsettings5 is a
> > user-specific method. You can try other methods.
> >
> > Start by including in sddm.conf:
> > [X11]
> > ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 120
> >
> > The two alternatives I variously use are the DisplaySize option in
> > xorg.conf* (either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf), and a startup script in
> > /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ containing xrandr --dpi or xrandr --fbmm.
> > I would be trying the xorg.conf* approach first, as it seems to
> > take effect during Xorg initialization rather than later.
> >
> > Another option to try is replacing sddm with a different DM.  
> Thank you, I think this is a good thing to try, makes a lot of sense
> to me. And you say well, I did set it via KDE systemsettings5.  I
> will first try with the sddm.conf.
> Will report back when in measure to try.
>
> Cheers!
>
>
I've read through this thread and still not sure which graphics card you are using. If it is nvidia, try using the nvidia config utility to change the settings. It's been a while since I used an nvidia card, so I'm not sure of the details, but ISTR using dual monitors in twin view mode satisfactorily. Windows could be dragged from one monitor to the other, and dialogs would appear on whichever was set as default.

HTH

Bob

--
Bob Williams
   System:  Linux 4.4.92-31-default
   Distro:  openSUSE 42.3 (x86_64)
   Desktop: KDE Frameworks: 5.32.0, Qt: 5.6.2 and Plasma: 5.8.7

attachment0 (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
In data mercoledì 15 novembre 2017 20:19:10 CET, Bob Williams ha scritto:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:58:44 +0100
>
> stakanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > If as I suspect you have set 120 DPI via KDE systemsettings5, you
> > > have several alternative options. Via systemsettings5, DPI is set
> > > via xrdb's Xft.dpi, which I expect sddm is not utilizing (I don't
> > > use sddm, only kdm, kdm3 or tdm). Xft.dpi via systemsettings5 is a
> > > user-specific method. You can try other methods.
> > >
> > > Start by including in sddm.conf:
> > > [X11]
> > > ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 120
> > >
> > > The two alternatives I variously use are the DisplaySize option in
> > > xorg.conf* (either /etc/X11/xorg.conf or
> > > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf), and a startup script in
> > > /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ containing xrandr --dpi or xrandr --fbmm.
> > > I would be trying the xorg.conf* approach first, as it seems to
> > > take effect during Xorg initialization rather than later.
> > >
> > > Another option to try is replacing sddm with a different DM.
> >
> > Thank you, I think this is a good thing to try, makes a lot of sense
> > to me. And you say well, I did set it via KDE systemsettings5.  I
> > will first try with the sddm.conf.
> > Will report back when in measure to try.
> >
> > Cheers!
>
> I've read through this thread and still not sure which graphics card you are
> using. If it is nvidia, try using the nvidia config utility to change the
> settings. It's been a while since I used an nvidia card, so I'm not sure of
> the details, but ISTR using dual monitors in twin view mode satisfactorily.
> Windows could be dragged from one monitor to the other, and dialogs would
> appear on whichever was set as default.
>
> HTH
>
> Bob
All what you say is correct. The only mismatch is the information window of
logout/switch user which is unreadable because it is popping up in the very
middle of the two screens. So you can neither read it nor see the buttons. If
you focus it and press the "enter" key you have the desired action. But this
is not satifactionary of course. The card is nvidia but the problem is
probably related to sddm and the 120 dpi setting.
All the rest, also action between monitors etc as you say is O.K.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Daniele
Il 15/11/2017 21:30, stakanov ha scritto:

> All what you say is correct. The only mismatch is the information window of
> logout/switch user which is unreadable because it is popping up in the very
> middle of the two screens. So you can neither read it nor see the buttons. If
> you focus it and press the "enter" key you have the desired action. But this
> is not satifactionary of course. The card is nvidia but the problem is
> probably related to sddm and the 120 dpi setting.
> All the rest, also action between monitors etc as you say is O.K.
>
>
>

In the past, with kde4, I fixed few dual monitor issue, with an
Xorg.conf file.
You can write your own using nvidia-settings utility.

HTH.
Daniele.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
In data mercoledì 15 novembre 2017 21:40:52 CET, Daniele ha scritto:

> Il 15/11/2017 21:30, stakanov ha scritto:
> > All what you say is correct. The only mismatch is the information window
> > of
> > logout/switch user which is unreadable because it is popping up in the
> > very
> > middle of the two screens. So you can neither read it nor see the buttons.
> > If you focus it and press the "enter" key you have the desired action.
> > But this is not satifactionary of course. The card is nvidia but the
> > problem is probably related to sddm and the 120 dpi setting.
> > All the rest, also action between monitors etc as you say is O.K.
>
> In the past, with kde4, I fixed few dual monitor issue, with an
> Xorg.conf file.
> You can write your own using nvidia-settings utility.
>
> HTH.
> Daniele.
I will try (beginning with the sddm config).
But currently I am on travel, so I have access to that machine only in about a
fortnight.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Felix Miata-3
In reply to this post by Daniele
Daniele composed on 2017-11-15 21:40 (UTC+0100):

> You can write your own using nvidia-settings utility.

I'm pretty sure that isn't available, or functional, unless the proprietary
NVidia driver is installed. According to what I've seen in this thread, OP has
been trying only FOSS (e.g. xf86-video-nouveau) so far:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2017-11/msg00008.html
--
"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Whatever else you
get, get wisdom." Proverbs 4:7 (New Living Translation)

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Problem with plasma and dual screen setup

Stakanov Schufter
In data giovedì 16 novembre 2017 00:29:31 CET, Felix Miata ha scritto:
> Daniele composed on 2017-11-15 21:40 (UTC+0100):
> > You can write your own using nvidia-settings utility.
>
> I'm pretty sure that isn't available, or functional, unless the proprietary
> NVidia driver is installed. According to what I've seen in this thread, OP
> has been trying only FOSS (e.g. xf86-video-nouveau) so far:
> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2017-11/msg00008.html

Right, because the OP had already his hell of a share of problems with the
proprietary one.


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]