Problem with Desktop-Icons

Andreas Meyer
Hello!

I am using openSUSE Leap 42.3 and have a nasty problem with the Desktop-Icons.
Most of the time when I login the icons are arbitrary orderd on the Desktop from left
to right.

This is a showstopper and very annoying. Is there a way to fix this?

To get the known order back I made a backup of plasplasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
and copy it back and login again. But this solves the problem only until the next reboot mostly.

I asked on the KDE-mailinglist but they told me to ask on a SUSE-mailinglist.

I tried
cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.

Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?

Any help appreciated!

Kind regards

  Andreas

--
PGP-Fingerprint: D392 5D21 0299 63D7 5BAE 4562 1E56 B2EA 81A2 59F1

Re: Problem with Desktop-Icons

Hans de Faber-2
Same problem,same solution.

But I put this copy action in "System settings-Autostart-Startup".

For me this workaround solved the problem.

Succes, Hans

On 06-08-18 11:42, Andreas Meyer wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am using openSUSE Leap 42.3 and have a nasty problem with the Desktop-Icons.
> Most of the time when I login the icons are arbitrary orderd on the Desktop from left
> to right.
>
> This is a showstopper and very annoying. Is there a way to fix this?
>
> To get the known order back I made a backup of plasplasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> and copy it back and login again. But this solves the problem only until the next reboot mostly.
>
> I asked on the KDE-mailinglist but they told me to ask on a SUSE-mailinglist.
>
> I tried
> cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.
>
> Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Kind regards
>
>    Andreas

Re: Problem with Desktop-Icons

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Andreas Meyer <[hidden email]> [08-06-18 05:45]:

> Hello!
>
> I am using openSUSE Leap 42.3 and have a nasty problem with the Desktop-Icons.
> Most of the time when I login the icons are arbitrary orderd on the Desktop from left
> to right.
>
> This is a showstopper and very annoying. Is there a way to fix this?
>
> To get the known order back I made a backup of plasplasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> and copy it back and login again. But this solves the problem only until the next reboot mostly.
>
> I asked on the KDE-mailinglist but they told me to ask on a SUSE-mailinglist.
>
> I tried
> cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.
>
> Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?

have you set the icon order using:
  <rt-ck> on desktop
  select "Icons" -> "Arrange In"
  -> "Align"
  -> "Sort By"
  -> "Icon Size"
  -> "Locked"

appears you are searching for something quite elaborate and convoluted
rather than a simple solution.

Re: Problem with Desktop-Icons

Patrick Shanahan-2
* JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> [08-06-18 06:36]:

> Same problem,same solution.
>
> But I put this copy action in "System settings-Autostart-Startup".
>
> For me this workaround solved the problem.
>
> Succes, Hans
>

> On 06-08-18 11:42, Andreas Meyer wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am using openSUSE Leap 42.3 and have a nasty problem with the Desktop-Icons.
> > Most of the time when I login the icons are arbitrary orderd on the Desktop from left
> > to right.
> >
> > This is a showstopper and very annoying. Is there a way to fix this?
> >
> > To get the known order back I made a backup of plasplasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> > and copy it back and login again. But this solves the problem only until the next reboot mostly.
> >
> > I asked on the KDE-mailinglist but they told me to ask on a SUSE-mailinglist.
> >
> > I tried
> > cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> > in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.
> >
> > Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?
> >
> > Any help appreciated!
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> >    Andreas

see my answer to Andreas Meyer <[hidden email]>

On 06-08-18 13:06, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Andreas Meyer <[hidden email]> [08-06-18 05:45]:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am using openSUSE Leap 42.3 and have a nasty problem with the Desktop-Icons.
>> Most of the time when I login the icons are arbitrary orderd on the Desktop from left
>> to right.
>>
>> This is a showstopper and very annoying. Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>> To get the known order back I made a backup of plasplasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
>> and copy it back and login again. But this solves the problem only until the next reboot mostly.
>>
>> I asked on the KDE-mailinglist but they told me to ask on a SUSE-mailinglist.
>>
>> I tried
>> cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
>> in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.
>>
>> Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?
> have you set the icon order using:
>    <rt-ck> on desktop
>    select "Icons" -> "Arrange In"
>     -> "Align"
>     -> "Sort By"
>     -> "Icon Size"
>     -> "Locked"
>
> appears you are searching for something quite elaborate and convoluted
> rather than a simple solution.

True, convoluted is the right word.

  select "Icons" -> "Arrange In" Columns
    -> "Align" Left
    -> "Sort By" Unsorted , Folders first unchecked
    -> "Icon Size" medium
    -> "Locked" yes
A simple solution, i Have this problem already 2 years and once in the 5 reboots all icons are garbled.
I can't find one.

everything is set as Iwanted

On 06-08-18 13:07, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> [08-06-18 06:36]:
>> Same problem,same solution.
>>
>> But I put this copy action in "System settings-Autostart-Startup".
>>
>> For me this workaround solved the problem.
>>
>> Succes, Hans
>>

>> On 06-08-18 11:42, Andreas Meyer wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I am using openSUSE Leap 42.3 and have a nasty problem with the Desktop-Icons.
>>> Most of the time when I login the icons are arbitrary orderd on the Desktop from left
>>> to right.
>>>
>>> This is a showstopper and very annoying. Is there a way to fix this?
>>>
>>> To get the known order back I made a backup of plasplasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
>>> and copy it back and login again. But this solves the problem only until the next reboot mostly.
>>>
>>> I asked on the KDE-mailinglist but they told me to ask on a SUSE-mailinglist.
>>>
>>> I tried
>>> cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
>>> in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.
>>>
>>> Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated!
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>>     Andreas

Re: Problem with Desktop-Icons

Patrick Shanahan-2
* JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> [08-06-18 10:13]:

> On 06-08-18 13:07, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> [08-06-18 06:36]:
> > > Same problem,same solution.
> > >
> > > But I put this copy action in "System settings-Autostart-Startup".
> > >
> > > For me this workaround solved the problem.
> > >
> > > Succes, Hans

> > > --

more simple yet, the answer cited was in response to Andrea M's
question/post and was TO THE LIST.  could you not read it?

JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> schrieb am 06.08.18 um 15:58:40 Uhr:

> >> cp /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.sav /home/andreas/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> >> in boot.local, halt.local and after.local, none of them fixed the behavior.
> >>
> >> Are there other files involved than plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc?
> > have you set the icon order using:
> >    <rt-ck> on desktop
> >    select "Icons" -> "Arrange In"
> >     -> "Align"
> >     -> "Sort By"
> >     -> "Icon Size"
> >     -> "Locked"
> >
> > appears you are searching for something quite elaborate and convoluted
> > rather than a simple solution.
> >
> True, convoluted is the right word.
>
>   select "Icons" -> "Arrange In" Columns
>     -> "Align" Left
>     -> "Sort By" Unsorted , Folders first unchecked
>     -> "Icon Size" medium
>     -> "Locked" yes
> A simple solution, i Have this problem already 2 years and once in the 5 reboots all icons are garbled.
> I can't find one.
>
> everything is set as Iwanted
Yes, same here, it just does not fixate the icons. I now try the solution you
suggested with  System settings-Autostart-Startup and hope it works.

  Andreas

On 06-08-18 16:43, Andreas Meyer wrote:

>>> have you set the icon order using:
>>>     <rt-ck> on desktop
>>>     select "Icons" -> "Arrange In"
>>>     -> "Align"
>>>     -> "Sort By"
>>>     -> "Icon Size"
>>>     -> "Locked"
>>>
>>> appears you are searching for something quite elaborate and convoluted
>>> rather than a simple solution.
>>>
>> True, convoluted is the right word.
>>
>>    select "Icons" -> "Arrange In" Columns
>>     -> "Align" Left
>>     -> "Sort By" Unsorted , Folders first unchecked
>>     -> "Icon Size" medium
>>     -> "Locked" yes
>> A simple solution, i Have this problem already 2 years and once in the 5 reboots all icons are garbled.
>> I can't find one.
>>
>> everything is set as Iwanted
> Yes, same here, it just does not fixate the icons. I now try the solution you
> suggested with  System settings-Autostart-Startup and hope it works.
>
>    Andreas

Send you my script#! /bin/bash
------
#! /bin/bash
#
#
clear
set -x                    #debug on
#
#variables
#
#copy the backup desktop config to actual
#
dest_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.bck
src_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
#
#
#
cp -a -f $dest_file  $src_file
#
exit

JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> schrieb am 06.08.18 um 18:33:10 Uhr:

> >> True, convoluted is the right word.
> >>
> >>    select "Icons" -> "Arrange In" Columns
> >>     -> "Align" Left
> >>     -> "Sort By" Unsorted , Folders first unchecked
> >>     -> "Icon Size" medium
> >>     -> "Locked" yes
> >> A simple solution, i Have this problem already 2 years and once in the 5 reboots all icons are garbled.
> >> I can't find one.
> >>
> >> everything is set as Iwanted
> > Yes, same here, it just does not fixate the icons. I now try the solution you
> > suggested with  System settings-Autostart-Startup and hope it works.
> >
> >    Andreas
> >
> Send you my script#! /bin/bash
> ------
> #! /bin/bash
> #
> #
> clear
> set -x                    #debug on
> #
> #variables
> #
> #copy the backup desktop config to actual
> #
> dest_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.bck
> src_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> #
> #
> #
> cp -a -f $dest_file  $src_file
> #
> exit
Thank you very much! Looks good. I'll put it into the autostart section.
I'm not sure to execute it when I logout or login.

Kind regards

  Andreas

On 06-08-18 20:50, Andreas Meyer wrote:

>>> Yes, same here, it just does not fixate the icons. I now try the solution you
>>> suggested with  System settings-Autostart-Startup and hope it works.
>>>
>>>     Andreas
>>>
>> Send you my script#! /bin/bash
>> ------
>> #! /bin/bash
>> #
>> #
>> clear
>> set -x                    #debug on
>> #
>> #variables
>> #
>> #copy the backup desktop config to actual
>> #
>> dest_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.bck
>> src_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
>> #
>> #
>> #
>> cp -a -f $dest_file  $src_file
>> #
>> exit
> Thank you very much! Looks good. I'll put it into the autostart section.
> I'm not sure to execute it when I logout or login.
>
> Kind regards
>
>    Andreas

After your work, for instance change some things on your desktop, you
logout. But before logout you have to save your changes that is the
reverse action. So copying your wanted configuration to actual should be
a startup action.
There is also a possibility named "before session startup" don't choose
this . You get a kde hang situation.

JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> schrieb am 06.08.18 um 22:09:07 Uhr:

> >> Send you my script#! /bin/bash
> >> ------
> >> #! /bin/bash
> >> #
> >> #
> >> clear
> >> set -x                    #debug on
> >> #
> >> #variables
> >> #
> >> #copy the backup desktop config to actual
> >> #
> >> dest_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc.bck
> >> src_file=~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
> >> #
> >> #
> >> #
> >> cp -a -f $dest_file  $src_file
> >> #
> >> exit
> > Thank you very much! Looks good. I'll put it into the autostart section.
> > I'm not sure to execute it when I logout or login.

> After your work, for instance change some things on your desktop, you
> logout. But before logout you have to save your changes that is the
> reverse action. So copying your wanted configuration to actual should be
> a startup action.
> There is also a possibility named "before session startup" don't choose
> this . You get a kde hang situation.

All the actions I tried with autostart and such did not solve this nasty problem.
The icons are garbeled every time I log in again.

It's impossible to recommend such a Desktop for new users. Nobody needs
such an amateurishly and unprofessional behaviour.

sigh

  Andreas

On 10-08-18 10:35, Andreas Meyer wrote:

>>> Thank you very much! Looks good. I'll put it into the autostart section.
>>> I'm not sure to execute it when I logout or login.
>> After your work, for instance change some things on your desktop, you
>> logout. But before logout you have to save your changes that is the
>> reverse action. So copying your wanted configuration to actual should be
>> a startup action.
>> There is also a possibility named "before session startup" don't choose
>> this . You get a kde hang situation.
> All the actions I tried with autostart and such did not solve this nasty problem.
> The icons are garbeled every time I log in again.
>
> It's impossible to recommend such a Desktop for new users. Nobody needs
> such an amateurishly and unprofessional behaviour.

After sending you a solution I asked myself the question: Now using
leap15 is it still necessary this copy action?
I removed the copy script and the answer was yes !
Another solution I try now is the switch to wayland, my desktop is now
stable for 2 days, so maybe !
Hans

JJM de Faber <[hidden email]> schrieb am 10.08.18 um 16:05:29 Uhr:

> > All the actions I tried with autostart and such did not solve this nasty problem.
> > The icons are garbeled every time I log in again.
> >
> > It's impossible to recommend such a Desktop for new users. Nobody needs
> > such an amateurishly and unprofessional behaviour.
> >
> After sending you a solution I asked myself the question: Now using
> leap15 is it still necessary this copy action?
> I removed the copy script and the answer was yes !
> Another solution I try now is the switch to wayland, my desktop is now
> stable for 2 days, so maybe !
There must be another file involved that stores the information how the icons
are ordered. The  plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc was not touched
since sunday and not changed since July 2018.

Nevertheless when I logged in this morning the icons where garbled. Login out
and in again the icons where at the right place.

It would be good one of the developers would care for this problem and would help
to find the right place where the information about the ordering of the icons is stored
and what files are involved.

  Andreas

--
PGP-Fingerprint: D392 5D21 0299 63D7 5BAE 4562 1E56 B2EA 81A2 59F1

Re: Problem with Desktop-Icons

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Montag, 13. August 2018, 09:55:19 schrieb Andreas Meyer:
> It would be good one of the developers would care for this problem

The problem is that this is not really reproducible...
And it's not an openSUSE problem anyway, there are upstream (KDE) bug reports
as well.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang