Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
Hi,

I described this situation on opensuse-packaging but have been
suggested to post it here.

I've installed openSUSE 11.2 M4 and M6 and I'm frightened about status
of kio_sysinfo. For me and all my friends this was the main tool for
managing disks. For mounting CD/pendrive, opening and removing. Nice,
friendly, almost perfect.

People I explained how to use Linux got used to this tool.

Now, in openSUSE 11.2, this kio_sysinfo is completely unusable. It can
not mount, can not open many media disks and it can not unmount! It's
just useless for almost anything disks related:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=533851
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=502027

I've started fixing kio_sysinfo with nice effects visible already,
just need one more day or two to implement event-refreshing.

I really would like to see kio_sysinfo updated before releasing
openSUSE 11.2. I'm afraid I can not call this serious bug fix, but
still I believe it's really big and important feature missing.

Can you somehow allow kio_update in stage of milestone 7 already
achieved? I know it's little late but couldn't fix that earlier
(vacations).

My last patches introduce a lot of fixes and features:
1) Opening any mounted device (#533851)
2) Mounting devices
3) Unmounting (and ejecting) devices
4) Fixed displaying of bars of over 99% filled devices
5) Introduced some UI changes to make everything more readable
6) Disabled battery information on machines without battery

I didn't add any new strings so translation is not any problem.

--
Rafa
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
2009/9/24 Rafał Miłecki <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I described this situation on opensuse-packaging but have been
> suggested to post it here.
>
> I've installed openSUSE 11.2 M4 and M6 and I'm frightened about status
> of kio_sysinfo. For me and all my friends this was the main tool for
> managing disks. For mounting CD/pendrive, opening and removing. Nice,
> friendly, almost perfect.
>
> People I explained how to use Linux got used to this tool.
>
> Now, in openSUSE 11.2, this kio_sysinfo is completely unusable. It can
> not mount, can not open many media disks and it can not unmount! It's
> just useless for almost anything disks related:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=533851
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=502027
>
> I've started fixing kio_sysinfo with nice effects visible already,
> just need one more day or two to implement event-refreshing.
>
> I really would like to see kio_sysinfo updated before releasing
> openSUSE 11.2. I'm afraid I can not call this serious bug fix, but
> still I believe it's really big and important feature missing.
>
> Can you somehow allow kio_update in stage of milestone 7 already
> achieved? I know it's little late but couldn't fix that earlier
> (vacations).
>
> My last patches introduce a lot of fixes and features:
> 1) Opening any mounted device (#533851)
> 2) Mounting devices
> 3) Unmounting (and ejecting) devices
> 4) Fixed displaying of bars of over 99% filled devices
> 5) Introduced some UI changes to make everything more readable
> 6) Disabled battery information on machines without battery
>
> I didn't add any new strings so translation is not any problem.
>
> --
> Rafa

Hi,

I think this old bug is related:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=397945

Regards,

Luiz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
W dniu 24 września 2009 15:40 użytkownik Luiz Fernando Ranghetti
<[hidden email]> napisał:
> I think this old bug is related:
>
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=397945

Thank you for pointing this. The first issue in bug #397945 is that
kio_sysinfo doesn't display names for not labeled devices. That was
reported by me in separated #533851. Next thing is that KDE 4.0 - 4.3
doesn't provide (un)mount in RMB popup menu. I've fixed that in KDE's
trunk and this will git KDE 4.4.

However it's possible to mount device by just clicking on it's name if
you use recent kio_sysinfo.

One thing I am not sure about in mounting ntfs-3g partition of hd. So
far I tested only CD, pendrive and mobile phone.

So bug #397945 can be fixed by me last commits, we will have to ask
for retest after updating kio_sysinfo.

--
Rafał
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Bruno Friedmann-2
Rafał Miłecki wrote:

> W dniu 24 września 2009 15:40 użytkownik Luiz Fernando Ranghetti
> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>> I think this old bug is related:
>>
>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=397945
>
> Thank you for pointing this. The first issue in bug #397945 is that
> kio_sysinfo doesn't display names for not labeled devices. That was
> reported by me in separated #533851. Next thing is that KDE 4.0 - 4.3
> doesn't provide (un)mount in RMB popup menu. I've fixed that in KDE's
> trunk and this will git KDE 4.4.
>
> However it's possible to mount device by just clicking on it's name if
> you use recent kio_sysinfo.
>
> One thing I am not sure about in mounting ntfs-3g partition of hd. So
> far I tested only CD, pendrive and mobile phone.
>
> So bug #397945 can be fixed by me last commits, we will have to ask
> for retest after updating kio_sysinfo.
>

If this is commited to opensuse factory kde, I can easily test with different type of drives
including ntfs.

--

     Bruno Friedmann

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
2009/9/24 Bruno Friedmann <[hidden email]>:

> Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> W dniu 24 września 2009 15:40 użytkownik Luiz Fernando Ranghetti
>> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>>> I think this old bug is related:
>>>
>>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=397945
>>
>> Thank you for pointing this. The first issue in bug #397945 is that
>> kio_sysinfo doesn't display names for not labeled devices. That was
>> reported by me in separated #533851. Next thing is that KDE 4.0 - 4.3
>> doesn't provide (un)mount in RMB popup menu. I've fixed that in KDE's
>> trunk and this will git KDE 4.4.
>>
>> However it's possible to mount device by just clicking on it's name if
>> you use recent kio_sysinfo.
>>
>> One thing I am not sure about in mounting ntfs-3g partition of hd. So
>> far I tested only CD, pendrive and mobile phone.
>>
>> So bug #397945 can be fixed by me last commits, we will have to ask
>> for retest after updating kio_sysinfo.
>>
>
> If this is commited to opensuse factory kde, I can easily test with different type of drives
> including ntfs.

It is, so if you can, please do.

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/kio_sysinfo/

It compiles against 4.3 and 4.4. If you use KDE 4.3 don't expect
"mount" option in RMB popup menu (as I already wrote).

For mounting click on device name (link). Then in opening menu use
"Open directory" or sth like that.

For unmounting click on eject icon on right side of device.

Please note, that after (un)mounting kio_sysinf will display outdated
data until it refreshes. That's issue I'll work on.

--
Rafał
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
In reply to this post by Bruno Friedmann-2
2009/9/24 Bruno Friedmann <[hidden email]>:

> Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> W dniu 24 września 2009 15:40 użytkownik Luiz Fernando Ranghetti
>> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>>> I think this old bug is related:
>>>
>>> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=397945
>>
>> Thank you for pointing this. The first issue in bug #397945 is that
>> kio_sysinfo doesn't display names for not labeled devices. That was
>> reported by me in separated #533851. Next thing is that KDE 4.0 - 4.3
>> doesn't provide (un)mount in RMB popup menu. I've fixed that in KDE's
>> trunk and this will git KDE 4.4.
>>
>> However it's possible to mount device by just clicking on it's name if
>> you use recent kio_sysinfo.
>>
>> One thing I am not sure about in mounting ntfs-3g partition of hd. So
>> far I tested only CD, pendrive and mobile phone.
>>
>> So bug #397945 can be fixed by me last commits, we will have to ask
>> for retest after updating kio_sysinfo.
>>
>
> If this is commited to opensuse factory kde, I can easily test with different type of drives
> including ntfs.

Err, moment. Did you mean packaged into RPM? If so, it is not I'm afraid :/

--
Rafał
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Stephan Binner
In reply to this post by Rafał Miłecki-2
On Thursday 24 September 2009 14:49:16 Rafał Miłecki wrote:

> I really would like to see kio_sysinfo updated before releasing openSUSE

It will be automatically updated next time the update_rpm script of kdebase4-
openSUSE is called - and chances for that are very high ;-)...

Bye,
   Steve
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
2009/9/24 Stephan Binner <[hidden email]>:
> On Thursday 24 September 2009 14:49:16 Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>
>> I really would like to see kio_sysinfo updated before releasing openSUSE
>
> It will be automatically updated next time the update_rpm script of kdebase4-
> openSUSE is called - and chances for that are very high ;-)...

Huh, great, thanks :)

I know openSUSE provides two packages for kio_sysinfo:
kio_sysinfo-11.2-20.1
kio_sysinfo-branding-openSUSE-11.2-20.1
(copy&paste, ignore versions).

In kio_sysinfo I've added new file: shared.css. Hope script will manage that?


I've just fixed last issue: event-refreshing on changing state of
disks (unmount/mount). So I think kio_sysinfo is fully functional now,
and ready to be updated in openSUSE's package :)

--
Rafał
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

pearson44j
In reply to this post by Rafał Miłecki-2
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:49:16 +0200
Rafał Miłecki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I described this situation on opensuse-packaging but have been
> suggested to post it here.
>
> I've installed openSUSE 11.2 M4 and M6 and I'm frightened about status
> of kio_sysinfo.  (snip)
> Now, in openSUSE 11.2, this kio_sysinfo is completely unusable. It can
> not mount, can not open many media disks and it can not unmount! It's
> just useless for almost anything disks related:
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=533851
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=502027


########
# M8
########
I would just like to say that I have M8 installed on one computer (upgraded from M7) and
 sysinfo:/ has no Disk Information

I was expecting to see something listed under "Disk Information" (and more importantly some
I could click on ;) in the way of  
Device | Filesystem  | Total space  | Available space


.. and I currently have nothing


# OS Information
OS:  Linux 2.6.31-10-desktop i686
System:  openSUSE 11.2 Milestone 8 (i586)
KDE:  4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1) "release 3"


Note :  I like sysinfo - things seemed to have improved under M7 - please let me
know if there is any way I can help testing etc....

Regards
James


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
W dniu 1 października 2009 23:26 użytkownik James PEARSON
<[hidden email]> napisał:
> I would just like to say that I have M8 installed on one computer (upgraded from M7) and
>  sysinfo:/ has no Disk Information
>
> I was expecting to see something listed under "Disk Information" (and more importantly some
> I could click on ;) in the way of
> Device | Filesystem  | Total space  | Available space
>
>
> .. and I currently have nothing

Are you kidding? :| :/ :( I'll download M8 DVD over night, install it tomorrow.

--
Rafał
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Poor state and update of kio_sysinfo

Rafał Miłecki-2
W dniu 1 października 2009 23:39 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
<[hidden email]> napisał:

> W dniu 1 października 2009 23:26 użytkownik James PEARSON
> <[hidden email]> napisał:
>> I would just like to say that I have M8 installed on one computer (upgraded from M7) and
>>  sysinfo:/ has no Disk Information
>>
>> I was expecting to see something listed under "Disk Information" (and more importantly some
>> I could click on ;) in the way of
>> Device | Filesystem  | Total space  | Available space
>>
>>
>> .. and I currently have nothing
>
> Are you kidding? :| :/ :( I'll download M8 DVD over night, install it tomorrow.

I had some problems with that testing, I couldn't burn my milestone
(bug #543749).

But finally I did and installed this on my PC. sysinfo was working OK
on it, I saw all devices: these "normal" and removable.

So I decided to install this also on my notebook. As previously no
problems here. sysinfo works fine, devices displayed.

Did you install clean milestone 8? Or did you try to update some
packages from factory repo? Maybe you missed something, or you left
some garbages? Can you try clean milestone 8 installation, please?

I checked bugzilla and didn't see any new bug reports about sysinfo.
So I really suspect it's something specific to your installation.
AFAIR I didn't touch devices detection code in kio_sysinfo.

--
Rafał
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]